Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Q40 Approval Process?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
diggs_74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q40 Approval Process?

I've never found much on the steps to go thru to get a new Q40 design approved so I thought I would post the query here.. I know Jim Allen is on the committee but I thought maybe we could hash it out in the forum.. Besides the Q40 forum has been a little slow lately.

Yes, I wouldn't have even cared except that the cold weather has me thinking about trying out a design.. I was sitting in my "shop" with a coldie looking at my Polecat's hanging on the wall.. I started thinking that something different would be cool, something not a P-51 or Cassutt variation.. What I came up with was the 2007 September Fury.. I slimmed it down a little and tried get the frontal area as small as possible while still trying to maintain the Sea Fury look.. For reference the spinner is a standard 1.75" like would be on a Dago..

The first pic is from http://www.taichiunlimiteddrawings.c...Built%20Racers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26886.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	868387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73021.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	868388  
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM
kane

Default RE: Q40 Approval Process?

Lee,

You need to send 5 sets of drawings. The drawings include three views of the full size plane as well as the model. One of the most important things is to include a cross section showning the shape and the 12.5 square inches of area. I don't know if Jim is still heading up the committee but if you send him a note I am sure he will steer you in the correct direction. The drawings do not need to be full scale, but if there are any areas that you feel are questionable, you should point them out with detail.

Looks good, when are you going to do it? You better get started.

DK
Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 AM
diggs_74

It's just something I've be messing with here and there.. No time line on it I guess.. Maybe for next year if I get ambitious.. It probably wouldn't take so long if I wasn't trying to learn CAD at the same time.. The quickie molds I made this winter have about burnt me out on doing plugs and molds for a while..

I haven't talked with Jim yet but I will.. Thanks for the info..
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
enriquelicea

Replica approval process and Replica rule comparison gudelines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35233.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	870624   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42935.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	870625  
Old 07-23-2009, 07:50 AM
diggs_74

Well after loosing a job, waiting a few months, and now having a job again I'm looking to get started on this "little" project.. I have enlisted the help of an engineer at my new job to help with the 3D modeling.. It's going to cost me some beer no doubt but it should be worth it..

I'm going to try and post the progress as I go but bare with me, it's going to take some time..
Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
AusPylon

So how is the Fury work going?... Looks like it will be a very nice plane...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 AM
diggs_74

Slowly at the moment.. The biggest problem when you have some one else doing the CAD work is waiting for them to have time.. We've done some things here and there but I haven't gotten as far as I would have liked.. The only way to speed up the process is to pay someone to do it but I'm not in a situation where that is feasible.. Since the person helping me with it doesn't fly I can't offer a couple kits in return for the work, which I would be willing to do.. I'm tempted to just draw it by hand, get it approved, and go from there..