Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Polecat

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 03:50 PM
gi8u2racing
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polecat

There were several good pilots at the Nats with Polecats. I was wondering if i could hear some feedback on it. I am currently flying two wonderful Ms. Ashley II's from Rusty. I was wondering how the Polecat's flew on the course, takeoff, and landing. I noticed Jr. had an Ashley and a Polecat, how did they compare?They sure do have a unique cool look. thanks
Old 07-14-2003, 02:44 AM
QM40

Default Polecat

Howdy,

Here, email Dan Kane at [email protected]...he can tell you everything you need to know about it...including the price
Old 07-16-2003, 12:16 PM
kane

Default Polecat

Jon,

I would contact Gary directly, I am not sure if he is posting on this site anymore.

I could certainly give my opinion but it would be a bit one-sided. I have never flown Rusty's airplane so I cannot comment on the comparison. Barry has flown a polecat perhaps he can comment on the comparison. There are very few Polecats out there. But, I think there will be more in the future.

One thing that is different for sure is the wing mounting. However, once you tackle it there is no problem and the kit builds just like anyother composite kit.

Dan
Old 07-16-2003, 02:50 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default Polecat

Dan,

Maybe it's just me and my bias toward mid-winged airplanes, but all of you guys who flew Polecats at the NATs seemed to loose less energy in the turns when compared to the other planes--especially the Ashleys. Is this something you've noticed too? Duane Gall and I were saying that the Polecat acts like a tennis ball coming off the racket the way it comes out of #3. You guys sure had your gear hooked up! I almost purchased a Polecat a few months ago. I wish I had because after seeing it fly, I really want one now.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:06 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Polecat

If you interested in getting one, you may want to order up soon. I believe there are about 10 kits out on the list (which is growing rapidly).
Old 07-17-2003, 02:04 PM
bl10

Default Polecat

As Dan says I have owned and flown most of the current crop of Q40 airframes including two Pole Cats. My personal opinion is that there is very little difference in the way any of them fly and not one of them is more than ½ second quicker than the rest. Consider the following: The record is held by Tom Scott with a Larson Dago, Gino DelPonte, who is killing us on the West Coast flies a Larson Vendetta with a NACA 66 wing. Lyle Larson, who has his choice of probably 15 different combinations of airframes and wings, prefers the Dago. Mike Helsel one of the toughest guys around flies Jerry Small’s Sidewinder. Randy Bridge and Travis Flynn, the current Q500 record holder, both fly Rusty’s Ashly. Fred Burgdorf, who has probably done more airframe tinkering than all of us put together is flying the Proud Bird with who knows what wing. Jimmy Allen, one of the most knowledgeable aero guys around, and Gary S are flying their version of the Proud Bird. Tom Scott and Dan Kane are going good with the Pole Cat.

We attach so much importance to which airfoil it the best but consider Rusty’s Ashly, Lyle’s Dago and Jerry’s Sidewinder with their traditional airfoils (not sure about the number but I believe they are about the same), Bruce’s Pole Cat with its MH 24, and Lyle’s Vendetta with it’s NACA 66. These airfoils are about as different as you can get, especially the NACCA 66 compared to the MH24 yet in elapsed time they are virtually identical.

As to my opinion of the Pole Cat, it flew very well but no better than the NACA 66 Vendetta or Sidewinder I am flying now. I have run mid 103’s with all three. I do believe the Pole Cat is easier to manage on take off. It doesn’t have much of a tendency to pop up. In my judgment I would like to see the Pole Cat with a little shorter nose moment and longer tail moment, both mine took tail weight and I believe it would be even more solid with a longer tail moment.

As I have said many times before it’s the overall combination of plane, engine, experience and pilot ability which produces a winner and of these four the last two are far and away the most important.

Just my opinion.

Barry
Old 07-17-2003, 02:37 PM
kane

Default Polecat

Barry,

Very well put!

I simply, did the polecat to be different. Bruce DeChastel had a wing that worked REALLY well, and I partnered with him to make the polecat. The airplane is quite a bit different than most out there, Bruce and I tried to make it using the best components. I feel we have been successful in at least producing a fast competitive airplane that flys well.

As Barry pointed out look at the wide range of airplanes being flown. I think this is great, as a competitor you have a choice. One airplane that did not get mentioned that is very good and uses some newer airfoils is Harold's Miss Candace. It too is very competitive and is a great flying plane.

Choose wisely. I would agree that pilot skill is important. However, I would also have to say you need every component to work to be successful. Pay attention to the little things!

Dan
Old 07-17-2003, 07:42 PM
bl10

Default Polecat

Dan:
Sorry I missed Harold’s or any other plane not mentioned. It, like the others, is very competitive when built straight and light, powered by a good engine and above all flown by a good pilot. My intent was not to select the good planes it was to show that in the end no one design is the magic pill that will make us winners. It’s the whole combination. You are absolutely correct in saying pay attention to the details. Any one of a thousand things can go wrong and cost the race. It is hard to emphasize enough how important preparation is in our hobby.

Barry