RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-40 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-40-racing-155/)
-   -   Q40 rules (radiators) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-40-racing-155/10350363-q40-rules-radiators.html)

B.P.R. 02-20-2011 11:34 AM

Q40 rules (radiators)

1 Attachment(s)
hi ,
I'm 'designing a new racer (Kelly) , but I did not understand a few rules :

" (b) Cheek cowls, canopy, and belly scoop, if any, shall have at least a 5/8-inch radius at their widest point so that a hypothetical 1-1/4- inch-diameter ball would fit inside, tangent to the outer surface. A cowl, canopy, or scoop with an oval or rectangular cross-section and corners of less than 5/8-inch radius satisfies this requirement if the hypothetical 1-1/4- inch-diameter ball would be fully enclosed. "

I do not understand very well where they must stay the hypothetical spheres of 5/8 radius (16 mm ) , I think it is like other racer with side radiators ( proud bird , polecat , gr7 , loki ..... )

i have not plane with side radiator but I have this in mind , and some photo in the web ....... Paolo Mucedola say to me that radiators are not made equal , in the side of the engine head is more bigger for careen engine , and in the other side is in the rules ............ I looked at some pictures in the web but the size of the radiators seems the same on both sides ....
I enclose a photo , I think we understand better my problem
seems to me that I can further reduce the radiator , but I did not understand where the ball should be placed
Many thanks
Paolo

B.P.R. 02-20-2011 03:10 PM

RE: Q40 rules (radiators)

any suggestions? [:o]

Scorpion Racing 02-20-2011 03:13 PM

The 5/8" radius is the same as a 1 1/4" diameter. The point being made here is you can't put a 5/8" radius on the outside of the cowl cheek and square it off so that a ball with the same diameter (1 1/4") would hang out of the cowl area. If you look at the build thread of my new design "Invictus" you will see what I did. (A little secret here, if you take a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe and cut it into 1/3's or 1/4's, you can put sandpaper on the inside and use it for a 1 1/4" guide ;)) As long as a ball or sphere that size would not be exposed, you should be fine. I would suggest you email Jim Allen (the head of the new design approval committee) and send him some sketches to get his input.

The Kelly has the cheeks the same size on both sides, so your model must also have both the same size too.

Good looking engine! ;)

B.P.R. 02-20-2011 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks , so if you see in my drawing in the section the ball of 32 mm ( 1 1/4" diameter) is more 'small of my project , so i can still reduce the radiators ???
Yes the Engine drawing is very good ;)

Scorpion Racing 02-20-2011 05:26 PM

Correct. Just remember that 32mm is the minimum that must be met; you may be larger with your fuselage blending with no penalty. I would try to get the look correct, and then make sure it is within the minimums. It looks like you have the 3/4" clearance covered, just make sure both measurements stay within or larger than the minimums.

B.P.R. 02-21-2011 09:49 AM

ok !! ;)
what you think , in the drawing i use 1,75" spinner .... is better more little ??
Paolo

Scorpion Racing 02-21-2011 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of mesh drawings from my design "Invictus" showing the 1 1/4" ball inside the cowl cheeks. The engine may be rotated so the piston is at 9 O' clock and still have the 3/4" clearance, as well as with the muffler rotated at 6 O' clock and still be legal. ;) As far as the spinner size,... whichever you like best I would say. I think more people have the 1.75" than have the 1.5", but it is just a spinner that can be bought either way.

B.P.R. 02-21-2011 01:29 PM

[X(][X(][X(] I kneel in front of your very clear explanation !!
Many thanks !!! ;)
Paolo

B.P.R. 03-17-2011 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What do you think now ? ... i think is ok

diggs_74 03-18-2011 04:17 AM

Looks great.. Nice to see something new being worked on.