RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-40 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-40-racing-155/)
-   -   Quick Repair before the Nats !! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-40-racing-155/11151483-quick-repair-before-nats.html)

diggs_74 07-11-2012 09:56 AM

Quick Repair before the Nats !!

I posted this on the NMPRA site but thought I might as well post it here too.

Ok, so all this work I've been doing on my AR-6 has the prototype ready for next weeks Nats(if you are going, please do not look at the paint job, it might be my worst ever, yes, it's that bad).. However, I have a severe warp in the left side that I can not get straightened out.. I've used the old Lyle trick with the heat gun and for some reason the wing will not set in the new/straight position.. I thought I would solicit any advice from the guys that used to, or still do, run foam core wings.. I had never attempted a Q40 foam wing before and won't again.. Molds are coming soon.

If all else fails, I'll fly it with the 1/8" of aileron trim it requires but it would be nice to not have that as it will surely add to the normal crappy times I get in Muncie :eek: The only positive is that I've got a pretty good engine on it and once it's trimmed it seems to groove pretty well.

I've got 2 days (including today) to make this repair.. If you've got something quick and dirty, that would be great.

Thanks in advance..

BarryReade 07-11-2012 10:23 AM

RE: Quick Repair before the Nats !!

Wish I could help Lee.  I wish you the best at the Nats!!

diggs_74 07-11-2012 10:53 AM

Thanks Barry.. Like I said, it flies pretty good once it's trimmed but I'm trying to make it a respectable showing for this model as I plan on selling some in the future..

fizzwater2 07-11-2012 10:54 AM

I vaguely remember something like a knife slice in the skin, diagonal on the wing surface, on the side and in the direction that the slice opens up slightly when you straighten the wing..

twist to straighten, fill the slot with epoxy, clamp till it's cured.

Something like that. I can't remember where I've seen that, but it might be worth some google searching.

diggs_74 07-11-2012 12:34 PM

Yep, that's the most likely fix I've been offered.. Looks like I'll be hacking on it tonight..

vicman 07-11-2012 04:11 PM

I hope it works for you bud. I'll look for your times in NATS News.:)

Kevin Matney 07-11-2012 04:28 PM

Hi LEE call me tonight.

diggs_74 07-11-2012 07:45 PM

Well, thanks for all the suggestions.. I ended up using Randy's version with a couple mods.. After a couple beers and finally a F**K it attitude I started hacking away. I started by blocking up the wing and making sure where I was at.. I had 2+ degrees of wash in on the left tip.. I also had about .5 of wash in on the right tip.. I figured since I was cutting I might as well fix them both.. Using my zona saw, I cut a diagonal line from the hinge opening on the bottom out to the LE of the wing tip. I then twisted it to where I wanted it and wicked in some foam safe thin CA.. After the smoke cleared, I put in some thick CA and kicked it.. This locked everything in place.. Other than looking like **** I now have both wing tips at .5 degrees of washout, like the original design has.. A little spot putty, some primer and a shot of paint and it's done.. I did end up heating the ailerons and twisting them to line up on the outboard side but they seem to be staying put.

Thanks again.. See you in Muncie..

diggs_74 07-12-2012 11:00 AM

Minor correction to my previous post.. The tips are designed at 0 degrees.. However, this wing is at -0.5 degrees. I don't think my thumbs will notice but I thought I better set the record straight.