Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Okay, I finally flew a three pole course...

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Okay, I finally flew a three pole course...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:25 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Okay, I finally flew a three pole course...

For those of you that know I'm a two-poler' (two pylon race course), I actually finally flew the official three pole Q500 course around myself last weekend. I was up in Oregon at the Medford field when everyone was out practicing. After trying the three pole course with an overpowered WM T-34 (webra 1.20 ), Kai Aiello lent me his nelson powered quickee and I gave it a go. Definitely a rush. I even got to fly against Gino Del Ponte for a few laps - Watch out Gino...

So, after 10 years of racing small warbirds, giant scale racers, and pretty much anything else that goes fast and turns left, I can see where the rush is with three pole. I'll be building a Q500 as soon as I get a few other priorities done and joining in on the fun. Of course I'll probably skip 424 and head right into 428

Now I've got to convert the tree polers' to two pole <grin>

Thanks again to all this past weekend. Was fun!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:25 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you're hooked, just like the rest of us. After three-pole, flying two-pole is like kissing your sister! (No Delpena, that is not a good thing)
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent......

Great job, now we gotcha.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:48 AM
DrewTelford

Great Michael!

Now, with a little more aspect ratio in that wing, you can probably get that Tsunami right up against the poles on the 3-pole course!

dt
Old 07-31-2003, 03:14 AM
Mluvara

Yeah, the Tsunami would need a wee bit more aspect ratio and a non-laminar wing, otherwise it would be in the dirt after pylon 2 trying to turn! I couldn't imagine a giant scale racer going around myself like that though!

Some of the guys in other clubs up here in the Bay Area are trying to orgainze AMA rulebook racing again. I'm thinking about drumming up some support at our club, so a q500/q40 race might be a reality next year. Club members had suggested it on the surveys, and we have the facility to do it, so things might look good for 2004. Plus, I know many are driving north or south to race, so somewhere in the middle wouldn't be bad...

Michael
Old 07-31-2003, 03:50 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool,,, More Races

I hope your practicing Mikey

BV
Old 07-31-2003, 10:43 PM
MaxQ

Default Three pole practice at AMAC

Michael,

Thanks for letting me display at your airshow a few weeks back. Talked to quite a few people about getting started in AMA 0.40 displacement racing. I'm out at AMAC just about every Sat and Sun flying a "simulated" three pole course. If you ever want to get a little practice in I'm there 7:00 to 10:00 AM on the weekends. Basin race coming up 8/10 and Medford 8/25-8/26...maybe see ya there?

Tom Hegland
37c
Old 08-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Mluvara

I'd like to make the next two races, but don't think they are a reality at the moment. Too many other things to take care of this month.

Maybe one weekend I'll head up your way at Moffett.

Michael