Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Merlin 2016 Glo Bee Style Plugs

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Merlin 2016 Glo Bee Style Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Vendata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merlin 2016 Glo Bee Style Plugs

Has any of you guys tryed one of these Merlin 2016 Glo Bee Style Plugs on a 0S AX 46 engine & what were the results.
If so what props were tryed? I myself have tryed these plugs with different props & got different results, using 10% Nitro in
all tests. Just wondering guys using 46 size 0S AX engines using 10 % nitro what results they got if any. I know these props work differently on the Thunder Tiger Engines!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Merlin 2016 Glo Bee Style Plugs

I tried them on my AX with a 9.5x6APC and it dropped 200-300 rpm compared to my current favorite. I've tried everything from an OS A3, #8, F, a couple different K&Bs, McCoy's, ect. The colder plugs tended to get the best RPM but I think that the 2016 is too cold.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Chris, I found if I have already worked the head shims on my engines before installing a 2016 and them installed one I had to much compression and I was blowing plugs to fast.  Looking at the 2016 compared to a standard plug there is less volume in the combustion chamber with a 2016. 
Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

We're not allowed to shim our heads. These are "Box Stock" other than boring out the exhaust outlet and welding the muffler halves together.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Vendata

Hi Chris you seem to of got the same results as i have got. You are right in the fact that guys should be using a stocked
standard engine & not be allowed to play with head shims, if there engines are pulled down let's say at a natinal event they should be DQ!!! Playing with head shims is altering the engine there for it's not stock any more. If these guys are taking out head shims & the engine blew up there warranty would no longer stand!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM
BarryReade

Well, in 424 racing it is legal and in Club 40 it is legal and the engine is still considered stock. You are also allowed to change crankshaft bearings. You can even install stainless steel ceramic bearings and it is considered stock. I wish everyone would install SS ceramic bearings as they are actually a bit slower than good old steel bearings at 10X the price.

Vendata, it must be your rules in Austrailia as the rules here in the US allow for minor things to be done.

The following is directly from the AMA Competition Regulations for 2009-2010. 1.2, defined terms.

Engine: A two-stroke cycle, glow ignition, reciprocating-piston internal combustion engine. For purposes of events requiring stock or commercially available engines and parts, the “engine” is defined as the complete unit, ready to run, needing only propeller, fuel, and starting voltage; except that the following parts may be substituted for the original parts and may come from any source:

Backplate mount
Bearings
Gaskets
Glow plug
Head and crankcase bolts
Propeller nut
Propeller washer
Remote needle valve assembly
Shutoff mechanism

I don't usually do all of this to a stock motor unless the front runners are running that much faster than I am. I usuall just take a new motor apart, clean it, make sure there are no flashing or crud in it and reassemble. Some folks call that cheating but, I do that much for all my motors so they have a chance to "be all that they can be".
Old 09-28-2009, 10:36 PM
AusPylon

The Australian Q500 Rules do let you modify the head clearance by adding or removing the shim/s...

"The head clearance of the engine may be altered from the manufacturer's setting by adding or removing head shims."

I do know the New South Wales (Aussie State) Q500 comp have changed this for their state run comp to not allow the removal of the head shim/s...
I'm not sure what the other states do with the ruling on them...

I was interested myself how these Merlin plugs performed in the stock engine also... Did they make an improvement in the engines that did not have the head shims removed?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Vendata

I suspect if the 8 thou shim were taken out of the 0SAX 46 engine, & replaced with another smaller shim it might work, the engine revs wouldn't drop & the engine might not cut out at half throttle. But I do not beleive in changing shims just to suit another glo plug when I can use a 0S no 8 plug & get more rpms. As the Merlin plug is a cold one the 0S 8 is a medium hot & works fine. But any one with more imfo on the merlin plugs on how they run with a 46 AX I would be interested in reading.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 AM
BarryReade

V, to find out for sure, and some motors you need to take out shims and others you need to add shims, you need to run the motor on a test stand and get data. On the TT PRO 40 guys in my area with the stock shims installed were getting a 300 rpm bump with the 2016. That is what I was getting with adjusting the head clearance. So when I added the 2016 plug I was actually going to far in compression and was getting less rpm, needle adjustment was more sensitive, and the plug tended to blow out the element. So, If I want to run the 2016 I need to readjust the shim pack in the head.

Barry

ORIGINAL: Vendata

I suspect if the 8 thou shim were taken out of the 0SAX 46 engine, & replaced with another smaller shim it might work, the engine revs wouldn't drop & the engine might not cut out at half throttle. But I do not beleive in changing shims just to suit another glo plug when I can use a 0S no 8 plug & get more rpms. As the Merlin plug is a cold one the 0S 8 is a medium hot & works fine. But any one with more imfo on the merlin plugs on how they run with a 46 AX I would be interested in reading.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 AM
daven

Vendata, after break in of the OS 46ax I remove the shim and do not use any. Be carefull re-tightening the head without the shim using even pressure and a torque wrench.

I have some of the 2016's just haven't had a chance to test them, was hoping to try on Saturday, but the weather is not looking good.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM
BarryReade

Dave where did you get your torque wrench??
Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 AM
mustaka

merlin make 2 types of 2016 plugs that i have used in aus the normal plug is identified by a green coloured insulator pressumably cold . ihave more success with the red insulator 2016 .
Old 10-31-2010, 07:08 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a TT guy. After trying both the regular and glo bee style, I've gone back the the OS #8. I get much more consistant runs and longer life out of the plug.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Terryoc

I use the 2016 with the red insulator in OS 46 ax 10/6 apc on 4 to 1 fuel all castor oil. No difference on the ground but more unload in the air using standard head shim.
Be sure to lift the element out of the plug so it is in the combustion chamber , make a world of difference
Terry
Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 PM
SmokinJoe

Dave,

What torque settings have you been using when tightening the AX head down?

I've been using 12'lbs and stripping threads in the TT. I got the torque wrench calibrated and it was actually "under torquing" for a given setting - so I know the torque wrench is not causing the problem

Regards,

Joe
Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 AM
daven

14" lbs
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM
johnnychimpo

ORIGINAL: SmokinJoe

I've been using 12'lbs and stripping threads in the TT.
[sm=confused.gif]
Foot lbs? holy crap! No wonder why your stripping them.. j/k im sure you meant "lbs..

Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 PM
[email protected]

Joe ,yes............nothing wrong with the torque screwdriver- its the setting you've been using. Far, far too high- check foot pounds versus pounds, a real big difference. How have you been resurrecting the stripped TT crankcases, THnz