Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Q500 servos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Q500 servos

It has been my understanding that elevator and aileron servos were required to have at least 42 inoz of torque. Why I thought that I don't know or can't remember. The requirement is not in the AMA pylon rules. Can some one enlighten me.

Denis
    I never met an engine I didn\'\'t like.
    Of the things I\'\'ve lost I miss my mind the most.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Q500 servos

I think that number was in the rules some years back. But then it was noticed that there were available servos with just two mounting screws that exceeded that torque, so the newer version was written (around 1998) that each primary flight control needed either a servo with 4 mounting screws or dual servos of two mounting holes with one on each aileron or V-tail half.

The reality is that it doesn't take much servo torque to move small surfaces the very small throws used in racing. I used Novac NES-1 servos for years on F1 models that had an advertised torque of 27 oz-in on all flight controls. Only one ran both ailerons that were bigger than a typical quickie, and it's top speed was well in excess of 180 when it was not on the course. The important thing is to use the servo's full travel and gain the mechanical advantage with long control horns and short servo moment arms.
    - Supplementary insipid innocuous inane vacuous proclamation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Denis, are you trying to build a plane lighter than,,, again?

BV
    If it ain t leaking oil, then somethings wrong,,, USMC 82-03, RETIRED!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Naw. When they increased the min weight to 3lbs 12oz I started building the fuselages from plywood and using sheet rock for wing cores.

Hobby People is selling Airtronics 94819 mini digital high speed servos for 19.99. They list for 60 and the normal Hobby People price is 39.99. On 6 volts they are .07 sec but only 33 in-oz. My memory said not legal for Q500 but when I looked at the rules on AMA I couldn't find a torque requirement.

Denis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Denis, you didn t see that table at the AMA show did you? It was full of JR 3121 and 3421 servos for over 1/2 off !

Carefull with that little stuff,,, they don t like nelson powered vibes[X(]

BV
    If it ain t leaking oil, then somethings wrong,,, USMC 82-03, RETIRED!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't get to the show this year. I know what you mean about the vibs. When I was building planes 3lbs 4oz I was using hitec 5125s. The gears were done in about 20 to 30 flights. The 5245s are a lot better but still only good for about a year of racing and practice unless I replaced the metal gears with nylon ones from 225s. The Airtronics 94761s seem to hold up real well. They are also minis the same size and weight as the 94819s but the 94761s are about double the torque.

Denis

Hay does any one look at that stuff???
    Kevin Matney 2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights make an Airplane
    www.Matneymodels.com