Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for advice (Q-25)

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Newbie looking for advice (Q-25)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM
js9467
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for advice (Q-25)

I attended the races at Julian last year, and had a blast. Getting into racing is something that I definately want to do. My girlfriends father has competed for years, and has helped me get into the hobby. I got a Viper 500 for Christmas (currently with a TT .25 on the front). I unfortunatley wont be able to make it to the Polar Pylon in Hudson due to prior commitments, but hope to race in Julian. Having no experience in the sport, do you guys have any suggestions on how to practice?I am a fairly proficient pilot and catch on quick,but have no idea what it will be like taking the pylons into consideration. My obvious goal in the beginning is to leave the racewith a plane that is in tact, but I feel like anything I could do to prepare would be of great benefit. Ive tried it on the sim, and it just doesnt seem realistic. My club doesnt have a course set up, and I have to assume that it would be frowned upon.. What are your thoughts??

Thanks,
Jay
Jay

Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Newbie looking for advice (Q-25)

Jay, If I were you I'd ask your girlfriends dad to show you the ropes. It's about time he got back into racing anyway!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 AM
js9467

I think he's getting back into it.. He is definitely my 1st line of support, and has done a TON for me..we just live 3 hrs apart so hooking up for a day of practice isn't always feasible..
Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 AM
daven

When I fly and have to practice without pylons I liked to stand on the far right end of the field.

Bring the plane straight down the runway about 30 feet out and 30 foot high, when it gets down to you on the far right end of the field, bank and yank an approximate 110 foot turn going back down the opposite end. Rinse and repeat. This would be the equivelent to standing about 30 foot outside of Pylon #2.

Try to fly 10 perfect laps, keeping the plane on exactly the same path as the previous lap. Try to keep the same altitude through out the turns (not sure this is possible with a .25 or not). Just keep practicing this, and by making minimal stick inputs till its engrained. Keep tweaking the plane, balance, throws, and trims until if flies exactly as you would like, and set up all future planes to fly the same way. As you get more comfortable reduce surface throw until you are using near full stick deflection to make your banks and pulls.

There is no substitute for flying around yourself, but try to look at practice in front of you as if you were in a race, don't just sport fly the quickie.

have fun.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 AM
daven

Oh,, and if you can have a caller next to you counting out and telling you when to turn, if you can't do that, count to yourself.

I use 1,2,3, and turn at a constant cadence, you will need to adjust yours as needed.

Not everyone can count and fly consistently at the same time, so its probably best if you have a helper.

I've just always done it, but hear that is not usual.

You want to do everything in practice as close to simulating an actual race as you can, this includes starting the plane on the ground and getting it in the air. Practice as if you are on the clock and be ready to go.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM
js9467

Dave,
This is exactly the type of information that I was looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Jay
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get rid of that old geezer you have helping you

Next time you are out our way come on up to CAM and we will put up the poles and have a practice day of it.
Hopefully we get a few more clubs in the area other than OJA to hold a race. If the Polar Pylon race goes well enough I'll most likely do another one later in the year.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
js9467

That would be awesome.. I was disappointed when I realized when the race was... i have a customer coming in for that weekend that I have to entertain..  Ive been in Hickory semi-frequently lately, so I will definately be in touch next time I make it that way. Ive flown quite a bit at WHAM.. Great bunch of folks!!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll send you a pm with my phone number, just give me a call.
You can even bring your helper if he promises to behave.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay, if the weather ever turns we should have a practice session at Old Julian. We generally do several times during the year. Unfortunately the weather this year has not been cooperating enough!!

Bob Harris
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM
js9467

Yeah, Jerry mentioned doing the same. I'm all for it! It sounds like alot of fun....

Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Mike_Langlois

Jay,

Once the field is no longer iced over and dries out we will have some practice dates. There have been a few people asking to come fly, hopefully we can getto gether and practice soon. Please email me at [email protected].
Once the weather is good Iwill contact you.

MikeLanglois
Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

If you can't get out and fly, might as well do some reading.... Look for "Crap Trap" here... http://www.jettengineering.com/
Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM
js9467

Good reading.. Although alot of it is over my head now, there is some good info on things such as balancing, CG, control throws, fuel tanks, etc....

Thanks!