Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sig mustang 450 pylon racer

Hi guys, I have a question on the sig mustang 450 pylon racer planes. The plans say 2-3" of dihedral under each wing tip, is that right, that would be 4-6" total dihedral. What is the benefit of tat much dihedral. Thanks Rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: sig mustang 450 pylon racer

generally it is for stability. i have one that i am building also but am only going to do 3" total.
    wes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a really old design. What is the design and construction of the wing, including wing skin thickness? What type of engine are you planing? Just asking because some of the techniques from way way back might be overstressed by some of the power today.
    - Supplementary insipid innocuous inane vacuous proclamation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TANKS, I bought this sig 450 20 years ago after my scat-cat went down. Decided to put it together , it has foam core wings sheeted with 3/32 balsa. wing root thicknes 1 1/8, root depth 13", 49" wing span,the bottom of the wing tips are undercambered. I going to use my old FOX Q 500 40 engin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The wing was a copy of the old Stafford Minnow for the most part. Pretty much standard F-1 construction for most of the 70s though airfoils improved with later designs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rick
    Have a look at this thread of mine. I believe you will find your answer in there. You can reduce the total dihedral to what looks good, about 2 to 2 1/2 inch.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4938201

Denis
    I never met an engine I didn\'\'t like.
    Of the things I\'\'ve lost I miss my mind the most.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On my Mustang 450, I went with 2" at each tip.
    Similar story about model, I bought and built mine in 1982. Had a problem with ane aileron binding and put it on the back shelf. This past autumn, took it out and got to work on it. Stripped it down and glassed it and also upgrade the control linkages. Now it is ready to prime and paint. Colors will be a metallic candy apple red w ith white trim. Power will be HP 40RR Gold Cup engine with HP muffler.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Lay one wing flat on the table and 3" up on the other side, Mine fly's Perfect and Super stable, Will Never Snap out on you on a High G turn, But you have to fly it, It wont be forgiving, It does Exactly what you tell it to do! Keep your Control surfaces tight! And Don't worry about overpowering it if you Glass the wing Properly, double up Glass at the center, I have Moded Rossi Q500 and it can handle more! Its a solid Airplane that will impress you with its stunting ability too. Ron
    At what point does it become too much?? **NEVER**