Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

What receiver will equal the Hitec Supreme IIs from the 2.4Ghz band for Q-500 Racing?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

What receiver will equal the Hitec Supreme IIs from the 2.4Ghz band for Q-500 Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What receiver will equal the Hitec Supreme IIs from the 2.4Ghz band for Q-500 Racing?

Hi Guys,

I am wondering, probably like most others, what the next guy has under his hood that might give him an edge. For instance, with the new 2.4Ghz radios, what will become the receiver of choice for Q-500 pilots?

Like the Hitec Supreme IIS 8-Channel FM Autoshift receivers for many guys, for years, became a receiver of choice for the 72 MHz band radios users.

As the technology advances and 2.4 GHz rolls in and the 72 MHz fades away, what will become the new tried and true receiver and new choice of receiver, for this next phase of radio controlled technology as we move into the future.

A few of the possibilities are:

1. Optima 7 - 7 Channel 2.4GHz Receiver

2. Minima 6T – (Top or End) Port 6-Channel 2.4GHz AFHSS Micro Receiver

3. Futaba R617FS 7-Channel 2.4GHz FASST Receiver

4. Futaba R617FS 7-Channel 2.4GHz FASST Receiver

Thanks

ElectricEddie

Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What receiver will equal the Hitec Supreme IIs from the 2.4Ghz band for Q-500 Racing?

Hey Eddie I guess you don't like JR/Spektrum!!  

I use the AR7000 with my JR 9503 TX
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What receiver will equal the Hitec Supreme IIs from the 2.4Ghz band for Q-500 Racing?

With 2.4 it will depend on what TX brand you are using. Although the radios are all on 2.4 each manufacturer is using their own transmission scheme.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Electriceddie

Hi Barry,

First off let me say that I have nothing against JR or Spektrum. Just that some guys like Ford's and some guy's like Chevy's. Not that I don't like JR or Spektrum, it's just that when I started flying 30 years ago I started with the old MRC radios then I had 2 World radios', now I am really dating some relics. Finally I moved up to what I thought was my dream radio was Futaba. I then stuck with Futaba over the years and now own several of them. But my top of the line radio is my Futaba 9C Super.

Now I raced Q-500 back in the late 70's with the spickler models and the K&B's. I recently got back into racing Q-500 4 years ago ( my how time flies) - No pun intended. Now for the last 3 years of racing here in the NorthEast circuit I have been using the 9C super with the Hitec Supreme IIs 8-Channel FM Autoshift DC Receiver. This receiver has been the receiver of choice by most of the guys on the 72Mhz band that I have come across. That's not to say there are not guys flying JR and Airtronics. Just that the numbers seem to be higher using Hitec in my experience.

Now keeping up with new and up and coming technology, I also have a new Spektrum radio which I won in a raffle and I may very well use it to race with this year. As for the 4 types of receivers I listed, of course I listed Hitec because thats what I am use to using. However being new to the 2.4Ghz band radios at this point I am open for suggestions. Therefore my original question. I only listed the 4 receivers I listed because they were the 4 that looked like they could handle the job while browsing thru the Tower Website. That's why I thru the question out here in this post. These 4 were only a starting point for consideration. I trow it out there for the experts who are far more knowledgeable then me.

Thanks

ElectricEddie

Go Fast, & Turn Left, Faster then the other guy.........

Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 AM
BarryReade

Like you said Ford or Chevy.  I flew Kraft's back in the 70's and when i came back i went with the Spektrum/JR and everything is 2.4 that I have today.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Electriceddie

Hi Petec,

So are you saying that if I own a Futaba 9C Super I can only use a Futaba 2.4Ghz receiver from them? Is there a way to verify each manufacturer's transmission scheme, as you put it?

ElectricEddie
Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eddie - you can get a Futaba 2.4G module for your transmitter, a Spektrum 2.4 module for your 9C transmitter, and a Hitec 2.4G module for your transmitter. Any of them will give you 2.4G performance - but with the Futaba module, you'd have to use Futaba RX's (or some of the asian clones), with the Spektrum module you'd have to use Spektrum RX's (or their clones), and with the Hitec module you'd have to use the Hitec RX's (no clones yet that I've heard of).

I've been flying AR7000's in my racers for the last year or two with good results, using a DX7 transmitter. I was using 6V NiCd batteries with my 72 MHz stuff anyway, so using them for the Spektrum 2.4G was a no-brainer. I've had NO issues with loss of signal or brown-outs. The new DX8 looks good, too - especially with the new DSMX DSSS/FHSS scheme.

I am really tempted to get myself a JR compatible module from Hitec, along with a couple of their Optima 6 receivers to try out - mainly because the receivers are about 45 bucks each, rather than the 70-90 bucks you typically see for a Spektrum or Futaba. That, and I like to experiment with new electronic stuff, (I'm an EE) so it appeals to me just because I don't have one.. I still like my XP8103 and XP9303 JR transmitters, this way I could still use them without having to buy yet another whole transmitter. You can get hitec modules for Futaba radios, too.

The new Minima 6 receiver from Hitec looks good, but I don't think they're available just yet. I do like the redundant antennas that they're using on them, at least from a theoretical point of view.

Several of the local guys are flying Futaba FASST with the R617FS receivers, with decent results. The few I have asked are using 6V batteries, too. I had a FASST system once, but sold it - it was the 6EX, and I didn't like having all the dual rates on one switch. No problems with operation, just not my style.

I don't really have a lot of brand loyalty, these types of discussions have a habit of turning into "mine's bigger" type of threads.. They all seem to work, you really should be careful with the battery / switch system in your aircraft, as ALL of the receivers have processors in them that will quit at some voltage if it gets low enough.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
daven

I dont' think there is a better receiver for racing than the Futaba FASSST R617FS

Can't be beat for size and weight, no extra secondary receiver, and it is ROCK Solid with Quickies and q40's.

Attach with Heavy duty Velcro and off you go. I thoroughly test crashed receivers and I haven't been able to wreck one of these yet, even not wrapped in foam.. They are just so light, they don't seam to get damaged. You don't want to cover with foam, the early ones had issues with overheating, but as long as you don't enclose it in foam, paint your fuselage Black, or leave in the blazing sun for hours it is not an issue.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 AM
daven

I run either 4 or 5 cell NIMH packs, so I can't comment on the recent LIPO fad in racing.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Ken Erickson

I have used Futaba since 1987. Lured by the lessor price of receivers, this past fall I bought the a 2.4 Hitec radio with the 7-channel receivers. While they range tested nicely, there was trouble when flying them. I attribute it to the single antenna. After losing two planes, I tested with an old trainer. Glitch city!!! I was mounting the antenna to the rear of the compartment on the left side, in a nearly vertical orientation. On my third call to Hitec support, I asked how people were mounting this antenna. Was told that it should be mounted horizontally, right next to the wing. That makes sense. I will soon test on a trainer, but will not use on my Club 40 planes.

Consider, why does the 9-channel receiver have two antennae?

At our New Year Freeze Fly I tested the Hobby King Orange FAAST compatible receiver. Rock solid at all angles and great distances.

Of course, I do not fly as fast as most of you, but thought I would report my experience with the Hitec 7-channel receiver.

Ken Erickson
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Ken - thanks for the input, that's the first I've heard of issues with the single antenna. Probably because there are less of them in use than the Futaba and Spektrum stuff.

A friend of mine flies the Optima 6 and Optima 7 in his Q500 and Q40 planes, and has reported no issues.

Makes the two antennas on the little Minima6 receivers look like a good idea. Hm.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:46 PM
garys

Just a quick clarification to Dave Norman's post. The only FASST receivers I know of that had a heat related problem were the early 14 channel ones...when mounted under big greenhouse canopies on giant scale IMAC type planes. I never heard of any issues with any other receivers.

That being said, I agree with Dave in that the 617 is about the ideal racing receiver. I mount them just like he does...just velcro'd in place. I used 4 cell NiMh's with no issues for several years (usually with those supposedly dangerous AAA size cells), but did switch to Lipos about a year and a half ago...for no other real reason than laziness and the ability to charge well before a race weekend and not mess with it throughout the race weekend.

I've also been using the 6008HS receivers with no issues. They have a faster frame rate (down to 7 milliseconds), but honestly I can't really tell the difference.

Gary Schmidt
Team Futaba
Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
still4given

I started using Spektrum when they first started the 2.4 thing and by the time Futaba came out with one I had close to 30 Spektrum receivers so that is where I am. I have been using the AR6255 with no issues. It is very compact and you can locate the antennas just about anywhere. Saying that, there are quite a few guys that are going with the new Airtronics stuff. I haven't heard of any problems with them.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 AM
Electriceddie

Hi Guys,

So then what I have gathered so far that other then which specific receivers are better for one application then another is that you need to keep the brands all the same. Futaba Transmitters with Futaba Receivers, JR Transmitters with JR Receivers and Spektrum Transmitters with Spektrum Receivers and so on.... Is this what the consensus is?

As for which receivers are better for Q-500, for Futaba the Futaba FASSST R617FS seems to be the choice possibly???

As for the other brands I have not seen enough documentation yet....

ElectricEddie
Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
daven

I know its relatively early, but it sounds like many people are using these successfully. I have a couple to try out, not sure I'm sold they are safe in racing planes, but I'm not going to write them off without testing.

The OrangeRx Futaba FASST receiver is now in stock!
Compatible with Futaba FASST receivers: TM7, TM8, TM10, TM14 more.
The OrangeRx 8ch is only 9.7g in weight and 30x45x10mm in size. Great for small planes, helis, parkflyers or even medium sized sport planes.
These receivers will bind to your Futaba FASST Tx just like a Futaba would, they have a failsafe and give as good or better range than the Futaba brand plus it comes at only a fraction of the price!
Just $29.99 each!

Key features
Light weight 9.7g
Compatible with FASST aircraft radio and module systems
8 Channels
Compact design 30x45x10mm
Twin antenna for diversity and long range.
Input voltage: 4~9.8V
Specified Range: 1.5km
Resolution: 3072
Latency: 22ms
Failsafe