Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

More Predator Questions for 424

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

More Predator Questions for 424

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 02:37 PM
aseaholm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Predator Questions for 424

I picked up a Lanier Predator this past weekend and hope to have a TT Pro .40 ready for a race in NE later in September. I've been reading through the forums and have picked up a lot of good pointers about putting the ARF together. I still have a couple questions I'm hoping ya'll can help me with.

1) In the instructions they show a real nice mount for the TT. I've found a similar mount from www.darrolcady.com. Are there other sources for this mount and what are your experiences with the various types?

2) I've noticed a large number of posts with either Tetra tanks or JETT tanks. How much closer to peak can you set the TT compared to a standard tank? Would you start with a bubbleless tank?

3) I was planning to pick up some pizza cutter wheels, use 2 HS-225's for the elevators, a HS-322 for the ailerons, a HS-81MG for the throttle, a HiTec 555 receiver, and a 400 MaH nickle metal pack. How close to the 3.5 lb mark will this put me?

4) What is a good time for a 424 race on the standard/428/422 course?

I've been out of the game for a long time and thought this is a good way to get back into going fast and turning left. Thanks in advance for the advice.

A.J. Seaholm
TEAMseaholm
[email protected]
Old 08-11-2003, 07:48 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

AJ

I use nothing but the 225's and occassionally an 81 or 85 on throttle. The standard servo on aileron is not needed. 555 Rx's are great and are quite durable. Do consider useing a 270 pack if you are going to use Nicd's its a big weight saving and is plenty for six rounds and a practice flight or two.

Pred's come in pretty lite and with that radio package you should come at or close to 3.5.

Jett, Darrol and performance Specialtys all have good mounts and pretty much the same price. I would suggest the square type that is clean and has the 1/4 inch allowable radius and this type makes for a clean but stiff nose. I prefer the type that replaces the original backplate as sometimes happens with the doubler type if you don,t use longer bolts the threads in the case can strip. The mount for the Q500 Nelson with the stuff box is completely interchangeable with both the TT .40 and .46, Not sure about the .46FX.

Yes invest in some Tetra's and a fueler its worth it. Its no fun flying a ship that stutters through pylon #1. Also there is a little learning curve to fueling them and might as well start the curve from the begining. Almost forgot the Bubbless tanks will allow you to center them on the CG.

In Apra on the long course the time to graduate from a nine lapper to ten is 1:45 and a good competive time is anything under 1:40

Have a great time

John
Old 08-11-2003, 09:14 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Darrol will have all the things you need if you haven't gotten them yet. He has the pizza cutters, tetra tanks, The motor mount as well as info on the Predator on his site. I swap out the stock pushrods for carbonfibers and do the mod he talks about by making the elevators controlled by torque rods by the fuse sides.
He usually fills and ships orders next day.
Good luck,,, basmntdweller
Old 08-12-2003, 02:05 AM
daven

Default I agree

Give Darroll a call. He's currently parked at our field in Brooklyn Park, MN. The longer he stays, the more money he will get from me.

Please call him, and buy out all his stock, as to slow down my purchases....

He got me for a sleeve and deck height measuring caliper today at lunch. Looks like a very nice, simple way to find out where your at. All for the bargain price of $65.00.

Having him 3 miles from my place of employment will soon put me in the poor house.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:38 AM
aseaholm

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info.

Daven, I can definitely relate. I spent my lunch break checking out Darrol’s site and soon had a wish list of over $200 worth of stuff. Considering I’m trying to do this the cheap way, my fiancé may not take kindly to that kind of bill for support equipment on a $175 plane/engine combo. I haven’t even priced one of those nice flight line boxes for the starting line, whoops. Hmmm, but I can sure feel the juices flowing again…

I’m hoping thought that once we pass someone through 3 and win by a foot she’ll get the bug and won’t mind the expense. Then it will be Bird of Preys and Nelsons lining the shop. Soon followed by Q-40s and 180 mph+, if that don’t get the old adrenaline pumping nothing will.

I spoke will Lyle this evening and between him and Darrol I should be able to the gear I need to get a few laps under my belt.

Thanks again for the advice everyone….
Old 08-12-2003, 02:43 AM
aseaholm

Default Elevator set-up

JohnB,

I read Darrol's article about elevator/rudder set-up on the Predator but I'm still a little unclear. Any chance you could post a picture to help me grasp what he's talking about?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:51 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

AJ If you are talking about the list of Pred modifications on his website, I think what you are talking about is his suggestion to bring the pushrods out the side of the fuselage and to 4-40 rod control horns that protrude from the bottom of the elev/rudders instead of having the horns on top down in the 'V' with the pushrods exiting the fuselage on top just ahead of the 'V' tail.

If thats the case I suppose the thinking is there may be just a bit less drag that way rather than having the horns in in the 'venturi effect' at the bottom of the 'V'. Some have also raised the tail higher on the fuselage and gone with all internal rods but that is a pretty big job for your first racer. There are many Quickees designed to use control horns on top and it is my feeling that for your first racer it is far better to keep it simple and go with it as designed in regards to the linkage. The single most important thing for a first time racer is learning to fly around himself and fly a course and at the same time working with a 'bud' as caller to become a team. This and practice is what will make the real differance. As far as durability mods like pinning firewalls, gear, and wing plates yes by all means do it. More races are lost by making a botched landing and say ripping out a gear plate without time to effect repairs before the next round, than any other reason.

Just keep it simple and practice, practice.

John
Old 08-12-2003, 12:58 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

A.J. wrote....

"Considering I’m trying to do this the cheap way, my fiancé may not take kindly to that kind of bill for support equipment on a $175 plane/engine combo."

A.J.... quite the contrary... now is the time to find out and properly train and condition your fiancé to your hobby purchases and needs.... buy all the most expensive support/building equipment, engines, radios etc... etc. prior to getting married and having children. If she still marries you... you got a keeper... tell her you love her and how lucky you are to have a wife that supports your hobby and hand her your wish list prior to birthdays, Christmas etc... I include web addresses, stock numbers, phone numbers as needed. Works for me! Good luck!

Still married somehow...

Dan

P.S. - this approach may occasionally require an expensive reciprocal purchase for her like jewelry or furniture... but it is worth it!
Old 08-12-2003, 04:46 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Dan,

That's very good advice.

And the reciprocal purchases are easily justified in your mind as "the cost of doing business".

A lot of guys don't think about the furniture or home possibilities ... women, and especially the practical women, like home furnishings and home improvements. Even unloading the dishwasher or vacuuming do wonders.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:08 PM
pdxpaul

A.J.

Since you are trying to do this on a budget, I will give you some of my lessons for low expense 424 racing. After all, less $ into the plane, means more $ to spend on after-racing beverages.

1. Do everything John and Dave tell you. They know.
2. Do buy the 225's. They save significant weight over standard servos.
3. Don't worry too much about weight. I have seen pigs win 424 races.
4. You can get by with a standard receiver and battery. I use a standard and 555 recievers, with 600 mah batteries.
5. Don't worry about putting the tail pushrods in the fuse on the Predator. Its a hassle.
6. Do get a good 4-bolt mount for your engine from PS or Jett or Darrol.
7. You can get by with the fuel tank that comes with the Predator. You can also use a Hayes slim 4 oz. Bladder tanks are nice, but expensive. If you get a bladder, you can fill them with a Sig syringe.
8. Do get an experienced racer to look at your plane set up and test fly it for you.
9. Do practice. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Times for your first race (10 laps):
Break 2:00 in a heat--good first day. You have what it takes.
Heat in the low1:50's--excellent first day. Talk to fiance about investing more $ in racing.
Break 1:50--you are a natural.

Paul
Old 08-13-2003, 12:29 PM
kane

OK, just because I need to know...

AJ you have raced pylon before, correct? You have flown Formula ones correct?

If the answers are yes, you are certainly not new to pylon. You have just been away for couple of years. It's like riding a bike! I am glad to see (if it is who I am thinking of) back into the mix of things.

Good luck and hope to see you at the races.

Dan
Old 08-13-2003, 01:21 PM
aseaholm

Default Not a total rookie, but it's been a long time

Kane,

Yes and yes... I've been hitting the RC combat circuit pretty hard the past 3 years since I finished school and could afford RC again. I've really enjoyed combat but I'm ready for a new challenge. I think 424 and combat is just what I need, for now...

I flew a 428 race in '98 I believe, with a borrowed airframe and Nelson engine. That was the last race I flew in and the F1 flying ended around '92. So, I hope your bike theory holds true...

My fiancée has been SUPER supportive of my RC hobby/habit/addiction the past few years. She's an excellent combat caller and I'm sure she'll enjoy being a pylon caller just as much. The other bonus is her folks still live in South Dakota, only about 40 minutes from Lyle Larson's house. So, every time we've visited her folks, we stop by Lyle's to get caught up on all the latest pylon tricks. Not to mention, we're also getting married in SD next March... Hmmm, I wonder if she'll let me register at "California Speed Pros" and "Performance Specialties"???

Thanks again for all the pointers gentlemen.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:15 PM
kane

AJ,

We all understand about the budget thing. Hopefully, you can get some 424 racing going in your area!!!!!

It is great to have a supportive wife, HANG on to her!! Especially, if she lets you register at Lyle's!! My wife bought me a Nelson for my wedding present. Perhaps you can drop that hint.

Dan
Old 08-13-2003, 06:47 PM
pdxpaul

AJ,

Given your experience, please disregard the times in my email

Paul