Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

VIPER 500 SWITCH MOUNTING

good day all. I am a newbie to pylon racing and am assebling my first sacrificial lamb-a viper 500 for 424. With the help of some other racers in our local club i just about have it ready to race. i'm looking for some different types of ideas for switch mounting and was hoping some folks would share some pic's of how ya mount your radio switch. Thanks in advance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: VIPER 500 SWITCH MOUNTING

Most mount the switch on the front of the servo tray and run a wire or pull pull string out the side of the fuse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is a servo tray for a QM40 But the same principle applies. I use a paper clip through a hole drilled in the switch to actuate it. I use a paper clip because it is soft and easy to bend plus you don't end up stabbing yourself with the cut end of piano wire, if you choose to use piano wire. String works well too. You still drill a hole through the switch and pull the string through, knot each side so when the string is pulled it grabs the switch. The string exits the airplane on both side with enough length that it can't fall inside and you pull from one side to turn it on and pull from the other to turn it off.

DK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11537.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	1610387  
    Dan Kane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for sharing the info. I was hoping to see a setup with the pull string. I understand how it would work n all. just hoping to see a photo.
    thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, here is the string method in pictures! I use gorilla string (fishing line with a cord, kinda like fly fishing line) thru a 1/16" hole drilled thru the switch and thru both sides of the fuselage. Once I pull the strings thru the fuselage, I tie 2~3 knots in it (in a bunch) so that it won't pull back thru the fuselage and then trim and melt the ends of the string with a heat source so they won't Frey. I align the switch so to the left is always on, and to the right is always off when looking forward toward turn one..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81588.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1610842  
    Scott Smith
    NMPRA 86t - District 7 VP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. Thats what i wanted to see. its just to simple sometimes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wv - make sure you hook up with some of those flying hillbillies. The help of
    an experienced racer will make all the difference in the world in your success.
    The races at the Hillbillies club were some of the most enjoyable ones I have
    attended.
    brad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh yea, dave n mike are hookin me up. should fly it next week. Dave makes it look easy n im ready to start racing. just gotta get the switch in it and balance it then warn everybody at the field. Im sure this is just the begining.