Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Viper ARF or ARC?

Hi All,

Aside from the obvious covering question, could someone tell me if there are any advantages to the ARC over the ARF? I actually prefer an ARF right now as I have very little free time.

Thanks
    Mum
    mumοΏ½bleοΏ½ty-peg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Viper ARF or ARC?

The obvious answers are:

It makes for a better finish
    It allows your own color scheme
    It allows you to beef up the tail area and firewall without having to remove covering
    It allows you to shim the front of the VTail to get the right incidence (and build the saddle up a bit)

But if time is an issue and all you are going to run is a TT40 or similar then just do the arf and be flying in 2 evenings. I have 3 arfs currently flying, and one of them is over 3 yrs old and raced a lot. Only work needed was at the firewall and shimming the tail.
    Race101
    YS Engines
    Team JR AMERICAS
    Waymire Decaling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

The obvious answers are:

It makes for a better finish
    It allows your own color scheme
    It allows you to beef up the tail area and firewall without having to remove covering
    It allows you to shim the front of the VTail to get the right incidence (and build the saddle up a bit)

But if time is an issue and all you are going to run is a TT40 or similar then just do the arf and be flying in 2 evenings. I have 3 arfs currently flying, and one of them is over 3 yrs old and raced a lot. Only work needed was at the firewall and shimming the tail.
    All of that plus

Great Planes ARF covering jobs are pretty poor when it comes to longevity of the covering staying put.
    An ARC will take one or two nights at most to cover then you can make the changes you wish to make, apply a unique color scheme and have a decent covering job.
    3W, BME and DA all the way. Proven power, Proven reliability and Proven support equals much cheaper in the long term.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've seen several of the Viper ARC (naked Viper) covered with 3/4 ounce fiberglass cloth and then clear coated.

Painting with automotive clear coat results in an attractive lightweight finish.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got the ARC coming this weekend. Here is my proposed color scheme. Drawn with Inkscape.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ham

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For AMA 424, get the ARF if time is an issue. Do the popular upgrades and go fly it. AMA 428 - Go with the ARC so you can make the major upgrades. I can't address AMA 426 - haven't done that yet.
    Kurt