Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

The Venom Strikes Back

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:10 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Venom Strikes Back

The Venom is back.

The Venom was designed by Dan Kane. It is very similar to his HurriKane, but it uses the S8064 airfoil, and the Viper 500 wing fits it perfectly. This is not a new design. It was acquired from SuperT R/C and is a proven plane.

This is a tab-lock kit that is very easy to build, and a foam core for the wing is included. See the [link=http://www.supertrc.com/instructions/Hurrikane.asp]HurriKane Instructions[/link] for details on building the Venom.

The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEVR7&P=7]Great Planes White Viper 500 Wing[/link] or the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEVS1&P=7]Great Planes Red Viper 500 Wing[/link] are Almost-Ready-To-Fly and will get you in the air quickly.

if you want a lighter wing, want to glass and paint the wing, or want bigger ailerons, and don't have the time or equipment to sheet a wing, the [link=http://www.stegallhobbies.com/Q500/SheetedWings/S8064/S8064.aspx]S8064 Sheeted Wing[/link] is an excellent option.

Click on [link=http://www.stegallhobbies.com/Q500/Venom/VENOM_Letter.pdf]VENOM_Letter.pdf[/link] for the plans in Letter size or [link=http://www.stegallhobbies.com/Q500/Venom/VENOM_Plans.pdf]VENOM_Plans.pdf[/link] for full size.

The kit price is $65 and the kit includes the laser cut wood, the plans, and a S8064 foam core.

The Kit is also available with a sheeted S8064 wing for $125.

Shipping is $15 for one or two kits in the U.S.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34908.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1182173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78634.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1182174  
Old 04-18-2009, 12:36 PM
g.hodgesrc

Default RE: The Venom Strikes Back

Hello Don,

It's great to see another wood kit coming back to the market for the entry level club racers. I have several of our Q-25 pilots who have Viper and Predator II wings and want a replacement wood fuselage assembly. Have you considered offering just a fuselage kit to replace those damaged from missed landing attempts as Duane mentioned in another post (I hate seeing a landing that's a little "off" and the Viper breaking in two!). This Venom design looks much stronger than the Viper and will not have the tail issues they have.

Q-25 Texas Wings / FW Thunderbirds

Gene
Old 04-18-2009, 05:57 PM
DonStegall

Gene,

The Venom is much stronger than the Viper fuselage. It has 3/16" sides and a lot more reinforcement.

I was going to effectively give away the cores. But my wife keeps telling me to stop giving stuff away. I can't go any lower than $65 for the fuselage and tail kit *. I updated the [link=http://www.stegallhobbies.com/Q500/Venom/Venom.aspx]Venom[/link] page and changed the price with a foam core to $75.

I can fit quite a few kits in the smaller shipping box and save a couple of dollars on shipping. So get a group order together.

* I don't really think the full size plans are needed, and I can knock off $5 per kit if the plans are omitted.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 AM
BUDMAN27

Cool beans Don.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
wrstew
My Feedback: (30)

Don- put me down for two, save the second set of plans. Thanks, Randy
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
g.hodgesrc

Don,

Thank you for the kit options and new pricing information. Several of us are getting an order together for you now. BTW, I like the new House of Pylon site.

Gene
Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 PM
DonStegall

Gene,

I had Venom kits with me at the Old Julian Airport Air Races this weekend. I had a kit in the open where people could see it. All of the comments were favorable.

Mike Rutchka picked one up. Maybe he will comment on the kit.

The only thing I see about it is minor and that is the bottom sheeting where the grain runs front to rear. I will probably switch out my personal planes to cross-grain balsa for extra strength.

Thanks for the House Of Pylon feedback. I feel it states the purpose of what I'm doing much better and other people seem to like it as well.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
wrstew
My Feedback: (30)

Don- a week later I took a few min to go over the kits you sent. Good packaging, well protected from the brown guys who like to throw airplanes in boxes. Clean cuts- the parts almost fall out by their self- ain't lasers neat? I still remember the "die crunched" balsa kits that I used broken in half razor blades to finish cutting out the parts, doesn't seem like that long ago, but in retrospect the same era as the Cox 049 Corsair that captured my youthful awe. Looking forward to assembly......as soon as my new FLAT table is finished. Twisted wings for some reason just fly wrong. Always seems like I'm one card short of a full deck. Still deep in mud season here, and with my building skills it's possible one will fly before the snow flies! I'm sure there will be a couple of questions before the covering goes on, will be in touch- Randy
Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 PM
slim56
My Feedback: (4)

Don,

Got my Venom kit today, well packed, safe from the men in brown. I am looking forward to really learning how to use epoxy, with the chopped carbon fiber, cabosil, and the other epoxy additives that I got from you. I will be using you as a resource when I get set up to do the build. Probably next week.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 PM
slim56
My Feedback: (4)

Don,

I finally got to the Venom, nice kit.

How big should I make the ailerons? New to this you know.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM
twitte1

Does anyone produce this kit anymore? I pancaked mine rather soundly at the Tangerine last weekend. Numb thumbs!!!! The wing is still useable. I believe it is the same as the Viper's wing. Is there another kit that will fit this wing?

Trey
Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

The Viper wing will fit on Dave Norman's Snaker. If things go right I will have these Kits for sale in January. PM if interested.
Randy
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
sahartman21

The Viper wing will also fit Kevin Matney's ViperDog fuselage.

It is available for about the same price as the wood kits.

Scott Hartman
Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 PM
GSJames

Here are a couple of .pdf's of the Venom logo lettering. You can take these to just about any vinyl cutting shop and they can make stickers and/or stencils for you. Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wu62129.pdf (69.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf
Je99983.pdf (72.2 KB, 19 views)