The molds for the Smasher Q-500 plane that I created are going to a new home this week. I have made arrangements to send them to Kevin Matney of www.MatneyModels.com
and he may or may not choose to offer the Smasher as part of his large stable of excellent planes.
I designed the Smasher quite a while ago and did extensive design and build threads on both RCUniverse and www.RCPRO.org
â€¦ I tested the plane in a number of configurations before ever letting any out to anyone else. I did finally let some out back in 2009 to James Barr, Lewis Schwab, Bill Vargas, and some other people. All had decent or good flight reports about the plane. It is a smooth flying plane and I always enjoyed flying mine. But I was usually pushing mine and trying out prototypes built from wood fuselages. The fuselages were jig built and were effectively identical. I still have the jigs (and all of the plans in Visio).
I was going to try to produce them and sell them. It turned out that I wasnâ€™t very good at epoxy lay-ups and the Smasher fuselage is a fairly demanding lay-up. The first ones I did seemed pretty easy. I had painted them white in the mold. In 2009 when I tried to start selling them, I was not painting them in the mold. I was having eye problems due to diabetes plus my stamina was not good as I had ballooned to around 300 pounds. Iâ€™m now down to 240 and feeling much better. In the 70â€™s when I was laying up the National Championship winning Stegall Minnows for my Dad, they were polyester resin and only took about 30 minutes to lay up a half. There was no joining in the mold. Todayâ€™s technique of epoxy joined in the mold is typically a 2 -3 hour affair and I just wasnâ€™t up to it. Kevin Matney does it all the time and he is good at it.
Just after Christmas I sent an email to Scott Hartman offering him a set of molds to play with. He said he would like another fuselage or two, but he wasnâ€™t interested in my molds right now. He suggested that I get in touch with Kevin and he hooked us up. Kevin and I talked and Kevin thought about it and we worked out an arrangement.
I am sending him these molds today. They did have primer in them and I was going to send them that way. But I decided that since the primer had been in them for almost two years, that I had better take it out. Good thing, as it was fairly stuck in a few places. Kevin may have to compound the molds to get them up to his specs.