Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Quickie Airfoil Templates

Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickie Airfoil Templates

These are the PDF files for some of the Quickie wings that I was cutting. Since I published the Smasher plans and they do not have an airfoil on them, an airfoil may be needed by some people who don't have airfoil software. Ironically I'm one right now as my CompuFoil is acting up. I hate copy protection that doesn't work. But I did have all of these PDF files from when I was making templates, so I'm sharing them now. You can print these out on legal paper and cut them out on your fuselage sides. So putting a Viper wing on a wood fuselage is no big deal.

The three wings are the 66-012, the MH17, and the S8064 which is the section used on the Viper. The 66-012 is 9.875", The MH17 is 10". The S8064 is 9.875".

The 66-012 at 9.875" would not actually be thick enough for the 1.188" AMA rule. So the sheeting is thinned just a bit from 1/16". When it is sheeted with 1/16" it will be thick enough.

There are templates with both 3/16: and 1/4" leading edges is some cases.

Since I can't attach PDF's here, you will have to go to [link=http://www.rcpro.org/net/ThreadView.aspx?threadid=1013]Quickie Airfoil Templates[/link] to get them.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quickie Airfoil Templates

These are experimental wings created by Gary James. They are versions of the S8064 wing used on the Viper and the MH17 used on Bob Harris Hole Shot and Quick shot that have been turned into symmetrical versions of those airfoils.

I have not flown them. I'm not even sure if Gary did. But I saw polar plots of them and they looked good. These are only the templates, and not the numbers. If you want the numbers, you'll have to ask Gary.

I did give away one sheeted wing that was VERY interesting and I heard that it was fantastic. It was the MH17BH.PDF at the root with the MH17SYM_WashoutOneHalf.PDF at the tip. It had lift at the root and was symmetrical with washout at the tips. It was used on a Hole Shot for 424. No fuselage mods were needed.

[link]http://www.rcpro.org/net/ThreadView.aspx?threadid=1013&s=0#msg4[/link]

I may start cutting foam cores to sell again. It was one of the things I did enjoy doing. Even specialty things like the two piece symmetrical to lifting tips with washout cores. If I do, they will be priced higher though. Is $20 reasonable for a nice one piece Quickie 500 wing core?

{edited to add the fact that the hybrid wing given away was sheeted and was a standard MH17 at the root with the symmetrical version at the tip)
Old 01-14-2012, 03:45 AM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what airfoil a MVVS V-Vector uses?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DonStegall

These are experimental wings created by Gary James. They are versions of the S8064 wing used on the Viper and the MH17 used on Bob Harris Hole Shot and Quick shot that have been turned into symmetrical versions of those airfoils.

I have not flown them. I'm not even sure if Gary did. But I saw polar plots of them and they looked good. These are only the templates, and not the numbers. If you want the numbers, you'll have to ask Gary.

I did give away one sheeted wing that was VERY interesting and I heard that it was fantastic. It was the MH17BH.PDF at the root with the MH17SYM_WashoutOneHalf.PDF at the tip. It had lift at the root and was symmetrical with washout at the tips. It was used on a Hole Shot for 424. No fuselage mods were needed.

[link]http://www.rcpro.org/net/ThreadView.aspx?threadid=1013&s=0#msg4[/link]

I may start cutting foam cores to sell again. It was one of the things I did enjoy doing. Even specialty things like the two piece symmetrical to lifting tips with washout cores. If I do, they will be priced higher though. Is $20 reasonable for a nice one piece Quickie 500 wing core?

{edited to add the fact that the hybrid wing given away was sheeted and was a standard MH17 at the root with the symmetrical version at the tip)

Don;

20 bucks is cheap for wing cores. Sign me up for a wing and I will build a plane around it.