Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Quickie Gauge inspection tool

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Quickie Gauge inspection tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
GSJames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickie Gauge inspection tool

Attached are two files, a .pdf and a .dxf of a clever piece of inspection equipment from an old SEMPRA newsletter that I ran across. I thought I would "cad-ify" it and post it for posterity so that others might have access to it. If there is sufficient interest, I could have a handfull of them laser cut out of some suitable material.

Here is the original text that accompanied the article:

The Quickie Gauge

Here is a short construction article on building a piece of inspection equipment that will help make pylon inspections fast, easy and simple.

This all-in-one supertool verifies applicable rule compliance of firewall, fuselage and wing minimum dimensions. Combine this tool with a tape measure, weight scale, dial caliper, current rule book and you've got the tools for a proper tech inspection.

The Quickie Gauge can be fabricated from a number of materials easily available. Wood, aluminum or plexiglas are great choices. The prototype shown is made from 1/4 inch aluminum. It should last a lifetime with the only drawback being the aluminum is susceptible to being bent. However, if the dial caliper is used to verify proper dimensions before it's use, this is no longer a problem. Those who would like to chose a material that's easy to work with, wood or plexiglas is fine. The important item is to finish the gauge with smooth and rounded surfaces to prevent any scratches on the measured item when used. A good idea would be to put mylar tape on the measuring surfaces.

Dimensions shown are just for the gauges overall size and for the throat of each gauge opening. Those dimensions work well for most Q-500 aircraft. Actual gauge opening dimensions need to be selected as required by the applicable rules. For the gauge to be used in a "NO-GO" fashion, the gauge opening should be smaller than the minimum allowable. This will prevent the tool from fitting acceptable dimensions and allow the tool to easily show unacceptable ones.

This type tool can be used for a number of events that specify minimum aircraft dimensions. The shape of the one shown easily allows the tool to be many gauges in one. The time spent cutting one out will easily be reimbursed when trying to get all the pylon equipment together for the race and during actual inspection.

THANKS to SEMPRA for this useful inspection tool

(for the .dxf file, download the "attachment.txt" file and remove the .txt extension or rename the file "Quickie gauge, dxf" because the forum won't take .dxf file types.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xv63693.pdf (15.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: txt
Mh21445.txt (69.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Scorpion Racing

Default RE: Quickie Gauge inspection tool

There was one update to this tool, we added the 7" minimum wheel width measurement to it. We only have 1 aluminum one left, that I know of. It would be nice to have a few in each district, as they really do take the guess work out and speed up inspections. I wounder if one of our fellow modelers with a CNC could make up a few for a reasonable price out of aluminum? I will try to get a picture of the tool at my race next month, if I can find who has it currently!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM
GSJames

Hi Scott: I can easily add the 7" wheel dimension. I've got a pretty good idea where you guys put it, but let me know and I'll make the appropriate modifications and re-post the files for people to use. Of course, you are better at CAD than I am anyway. SEMPRA came up with a nifty little gadget! Thanks!

Darn, I wish I had known that Lake Wales is so close to Orlando. I'm stuck here all day and would have rented a car and driven down.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Scorpion Racing

Gary, I am even closer to the airport than you think! I work in downtown Kissimmee, which is less than 30~40 minutes away. I drive an hour to work each day, but we work 4 day weeks so i don't mind so much.

We got to race each other one day...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: Scorpion Racing
We got to race each other one day...
I'm just a newbie, so it wouldn't be much of a race... []
Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary,
I have seen him race. You would have fun
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Watch out, Gary cheats!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Scorpion Racing

Aww come on Vicman, that Q40 had a very impressive spray field from the start/finish line 1/2 way to turn 1! Still not sure what caused it, so I will chock it up to rookie mistakes in traffic... []

Still, a bad day racing is better than any day at work!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: Duane-RCU

Watch out, Gary cheats!
That's what someone once said... We know better... Now was that 15% nitro or 50% nitro... I can't seem to remember...

Seriously though Duane, I'm CD'ing the May Q-25 race at T-bird field, so come on out and race, we miss you. I'll be sure to take REAL good care of you...
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
THRL-CKER

Could we add a "Go- No Go" measurment for exhaust tip and carb intake?

Jim
Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: THRL-CKER

Could we add a ''Go- No Go'' measurment for exhaust tip and carb intake?

Jim
That would probably be better done with a couple of pieces of rod. Pat Wilcox had a neat 2-ended tool that checked both the intake and exhaust on F2D combat engines. Something like that would work better.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I bet you miss me! Everyone likes the "easy" win. I was going to say "duck" but that's what others say when I race. I'm going to try to make some this year, Scout campouts, among other things seem to fall on those Sundays.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Scorpion Racing

Well, no pictures of the original item described! [] I guess we should tweak the CAD file for maximum usability. I will try to work on it this week if I can. were you thinking of using a CNC lathe for these, and are there any tolerances that need to be adjusted for?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: Scorpion Racing

Well, no pictures of the original item described! [] I guess we should tweak the CAD file for maximum usability. I will try to work on it this week if I can. were you thinking of using a CNC lathe for these, and are there any tolerances that need to be adjusted for?

Actually, I was kinda thinking of using a laser to cut them. You are right in that we should probably add some tolerances to the dimensions. Perhaps if we undersized everything by 0.005" it would act like a "no-go" gauge and thereby be easier to use.