Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thunder Tiger saved

The Thunder Tiger Pro 40 is safe for now.

I have e-mailed back and forth with Royce Lin in the G.M. office of Thunder Tiger and conveyed the importance of the TT 40 to AMA 424 and Club 40 racing. Attached is the last e-mail I received from Mr. Lin where he agrees to keep the TT Pro 40 in production.
    Thanks Jim.
    We will keep the production of Pro-40.
    And might release a brand new Pro-40 to replace this 20 years old one.
    Sorry if my previous email to Gary James has caused you all any un-comfort.
    Best Regards
    林崇安 /Royce Lin
    總經理室 / G.M. Office
    雷虎科技 / Thunder Tiger Corp.
    Tel+886-4-23591616 Ext.814
    Fax
    +886-4-23590400
    Email
    royce@thundertiger.com
    Websitewww.thundertiger.com
    PPlease consider the environment before printing this e-mail
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public
    Jim McGuinn
    NMPRA Dist. 8 VP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Thunder Tiger saved

nice, but would like to have the new pro 40 too, no need to stay in the past......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As he stated that may be in the works.

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public
    Jim McGuinn
    NMPRA Dist. 8 VP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lfinney

nice, but would like to have the new pro 40 too, no need to stay in the past......
    An interesting point, but one that I cannot quite understand.

It is my observation that there are 3 classes of model airplane engines. (1) An entry level, cheap engine, in which quality and performance are compromised for cost. The OS "LA" is a good example (2) A good quality engine, for general purposes, that has a good balance between cost and performance. (3) A full-competition engine, wherein cost is no barrier and performance is the only measure of merit. The Thunder Tiger "GP" series engines are in category 1, The "Pro: series of engine are in category 2 and it is my opinion that they are the BEST value in that category. They provide very good performance at a very competitive price. Thunder Tiger has no engines in category 3. Engines in category 3 are made by Nelson, Jett, etc. There is a small demand for these engines and they are generally made by "custom" shops. There is not a lot of profit in category 3. I would think that the best profit is in category 1 and 2. I frequently tell others that the Thunder Tiger Pro series engines are the best value in category 2. Personally, I would not by any manufacturers engine in category 1.

I do not understand why Thunder Tiger would wish to discontinue the 40Pro engine and replace it. It is not necessary to improve the performance of the Pro series engine, since they already provide excellent performance and quality at a very good price. Thunder Tiger already has an engine in category 1 with the "GP" series, and there is minimal profit in category 3. If it were desired to reduce production cost of category 2 engines, then that would be understandable. But I think that development costs would be greater than the increase profit in producing a new engine. Requiring people to replace all of their engines with new engines would cause them to be angry and perhaps chose another engine brand.

I am not aware of any "world changing" design feature that would warrant the re-design of category 2 engines. The last two "world changers" were ABC/ABN construction and Schnurle porting. I am not aware of any big advances since that time. Tuned mufflers don't count. Are there any?

It is my, not-so-humble, opinion that the easy availability of category 3 engines led to the destruction of AMA Control Line .36 Combat. I would hate to see that happen to other events.

Your thoughts? Let the flame war begin!

Gary James
    AMA CD 68845, NMPRA 15I, RCCA #908

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary, perhaps the tooling for the tt40 pro is wearing out, and they can continue on for a while, but would rather spend the money tooling for a new version instead of spending just as much tooling for more of the old version. Somewhat like new versions of cars, minor changes for a new look. Maybe the thunder tiger guys could use similar internals and keep the performance the same for us?
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a "new" 40 could entail a number of changes such as a real abc sleeve and piston, a crank with a much larger diameter intake diameter and larger rear bearing as a result, this would be a game changer for club 40 and others that use a single engine....with little cost...clearly the new design rod is a indicator of progressive think at thunder tigers design dept. a change to turbo glow plugs would be nominal in cost as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They held the price of the TT40 at $99 because of the 424 rule on the price of the engine. I would imagine they would like to get out from under that rule or change the price with out loosing sales. There best approach for that is to approach the NMPRA leadership to address the problem.

Denis
    I never met an engine I didn\'\'t like.
    Of the things I\'\'ve lost I miss my mind the most.