Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Q500 V-Tail

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 PM
spraybar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q500 V-Tail

Hey Guys,
Look still having trouble with the v-tail on my racer I put in a 1 / 32 ply shim either side of the rear of the wing saddle, put the elevator trim back to square to the tail plane. When I flew it it
Climbed some thing shocking so that didn't work. I would of thought that I should be sanding off a little off the rear of the wing saddle cause it just climbs. I then landed it took the shims out & gave it trim to how it was before again about three clicks of down trim cause it was climbing. Can any body suggest how or what I should do to fix this problem.
E.g. Should I be sanding a little off the leading edge of the wing saddle or sand a little off the trailing edge of the wing saddle. Look forward to you guys comments
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:53 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Would this be a shoulder wing or low wing? 1/32" shim is not very much. How is the CG?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:44 PM
spraybar

Its a Q500 High wing same as a Viper CG perfect fly's awesome at the moment with three clicks of down elevator cause as I said it was climbing. But I want some how to put the elevators level with the tail plane so there is no drag. Ailerons are perfect no trimming required.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 PM
speedracerntrixie

I would say you are on the right track with shimming the wing TE then. Having to trim in some down elevator is also a sign that the CG could be a little aft. What CG tests have you done to come to your "perfect " conclusion? Your ailerons could both be a tad down as well. Adjusting the ailerons up a little could be a viable fix.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 03-01-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 PM
spraybar

Hi I have the cg at bang on at 3 inches probably a tad less than the 3 inches from the leading edge of the wing. Also the ailerons are flush with the wing inboard & out board of the ailerons.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 AM
Scorpion Racing

Have you actually put a couple of incidence meters on the aircraft to confirm it is the tail that is out? You need to align the firewall so that it is exactly vertical and an incidence meter on the main wing and confirm that it is at zero. I set my Quickies on a table and brace it with those little rubber coated work out weights (thanks to the wife!) so that it will remain straight. once the firewall is at zero and the main wing is at zero, you can confirm that the v-tail is at zero. If you use a standard incidence meter on the tails, you nee to make sure they are aligned perpendicular to the centerline of the fuselage (equal distance from the centerline at the front and back). You will need to check both sides, as on may be correct and the other one is not. The tails should both read zero. If any of these (main wing or v-tail halves) are off from the firewall, that is where to problem is.

If everything is at zero incidence, it is simply a CG issue. If you have the CG at 3" aft, I would move the CG forward to 2 7/8" and re-fly it. Most CG's on Quickies are in the 2 3/4"~2 7/8" CG range, and 3" is a little far aft for most. By shifting the CG forward, the elevators will not have to deflect downward to lift the tail heavy aircraft.

Hope that helps some!

Last edited by Scorpion Racing; 03-02-2014 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Spelling!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 AM
speedracerntrixie

I'm going to go with CG too. When I ask about CG location I am looking for one of two answers. The answer I hope to hear as it applies to this case would be: I set the elevator throw to 3/8 travel and the airplane wouldn't turn tight enough and was hard to slow down for landing (nose heavy) or even with 1/4" elevator travel the airplane needed lots of pitch corrections between pylons but landed really nice ( tail heavy ) . Giving a hard measurement as per plans/instructions means that the CG setting was not a result of flight testing. As Scorion has suggested you may want to shift the CG forward before doing any more shimming or cutting. Even on my aerobatic models that are built with everything strait if The model requires elevator trim I will look to CG first.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM
spraybar

Hi Guys,
I will put the incidence meter on the racer & see what that tells me if every thing is square, I will try the CG & move the battery forward & re test fly it this coming weekend. Gee the racer fly's so good lands good. I would I thought if I had the c.g out it would be a dog to fly. Didn't think that c.g would cause it to be out of trim I thought that would be an incidence problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Conrod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spraybar
Hi Guys,
I will put the incidence meter on the racer & see what that tells me if every thing is square, I will try the CG & move the battery forward & re test fly it this coming weekend. Gee the racer fly's so good lands good. I would I thought if I had the c.g out it would be a dog to fly. Didn't think that c.g would cause it to be out of trim I thought that would be an incidence problem.
Hi spraybar
Where do you live? As you said in your first post, that you are new to building vee tail quickies and there maybe some one in your area that could help you with the set up.
Just a thought.

Geoff
Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 PM
spraybar

Hi Guys,
I thought if a racer was a tad nose heavy you would need more elevator to get it off the ground & to race with, where as if it was a tad tail heavy you wouldn't need as much elevator to get it off the ground
with & to race with. What does the CG have to do with it needed to be trimmed? any way I will put a incidence meter on it this week some time & see what it reads but I'm sure I have check this before & the wing / tail were at zero. If the c.g was out how come it fly's like its on rails & takes off & lands ok? Look forward to you guys comments.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 PM
spraybar

Hello Conrod,
Just started to race down here in Christchurch at Mcleands Island club I think I have counted about six guys racing. Don't know if you know any of the guys or not but the guy that seem's to be running
is called Dave forgot his last name but he seems to fly pretty quick around the poles in most cases he laps every body doing good times. I know this cause we all have to time keep & share jobs when we aren't racing. i have actually asked Dave about it he also thought to trim up the back of the trialing edge of the wing saddle, or said it could be CG he was the one that told me to get onto this site to ask question on the subject. But I have tried putting a small amount of skims on the rear of the wing saddle & put the elevator trims back to level on the tail plane but when I flew it on Sunday man it just climbed like a rocket, so I brought it down & took out the shims & put back three clicks of down elevator & flew it again & it was perfect but its just that they really need to be level with the tail plane, trim cause drag? Whats your opinion on it?
Brent
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Conrod

Originally Posted by spraybar
Hello Conrod,
Just started to race down here in Christchurch at Mcleands Island club I think I have counted about six guys racing. Don't know if you know any of the guys or not but the guy that seem's to be running
is called Dave forgot his last name but he seems to fly pretty quick around the poles in most cases he laps every body doing good times. I know this cause we all have to time keep & share jobs when we aren't racing. i have actually asked Dave about it he also thought to trim up the back of the trialing edge of the wing saddle, or said it could be CG he was the one that told me to get onto this site to ask question on the subject. But I have tried putting a small amount of skims on the rear of the wing saddle & put the elevator trims back to level on the tail plane but when I flew it on Sunday man it just climbed like a rocket, so I brought it down & took out the shims & put back three clicks of down elevator & flew it again & it was perfect but its just that they really need to be level with the tail plane, trim cause drag? Whats your opinion on it?
Brent
Hi Brent
Yes Dave has been racing for a while now and should be able to help you.
But as many have said here on RCU, check the incident of the wing, tail and firewall and if all is ok, then more CG forward and re fly.
Geoff
Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 PM
spraybar

Thank you Geoff I will try that & re: fly this week end we have another race meeting this Saturday.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM
[email protected]

suspect Dave and Brent maywell be the same person..........TH
Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Conrod

+1
Old 03-11-2014, 06:48 PM
spraybar

No I race pylon out at Mcleans Island with Dave, if you aren't sure why don't you ask him. I will ring him tonight myself & ask him to give you a ring. But I have meet you a few years ago when I was with a mate at one of your race meetings at the Christchurch club. I here you don't race & haven't been for quite sometime. Why don't you come out & have a race meeting with us like to see how good you are???
Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM
spraybar

What is it with you guys? don't race but like to put your 5 cents worth in??
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Vendata

Trevor you are surmising once again !! nothing better to do by the sounds of things! this is a discussion site on Q500. Brent flicked me a text to go onto this site to browse on what you have said.
If you want to meet him come out to our race meeting on the 12th of April love to see you I will put you up with Brent see how good you are with a beginner & as you are a expert!
I was the person that told him to go onto to this site for answers to his pylon racer's problem now all sorted.
You have meet Brent before as you have stated to me on the phone conversation that we had together.
As I have said previous this is a pylon site discussion not a site to make personal digs at guys!! Dave.