Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

HSF Fall Wichita Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:25 AM
rs-ssfan
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSF Fall Wichita Race

I'm a little late getting this out but here it is. We are only 2 short weeks from the final race of the year in the MO-KAN area. We are headed back to the Lake Afton site in Goodard, KS (just west of Wichita). It's a great site to fly at, but we are in Kansas so there is a chance of a slight breeze during the race. We'll be flying 424/426, short course, on Saturday and 424/422, long course, on Sunday. I've attached the flyer and hope to see you all out there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HSF Wichita Fall Race 2014.pdf (235.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silly job demands have put me on the fence about attending both Sat. and Sunday. Do I need to pre-register and can I do it short notice (i.e. just a few days prior to the race)? I won't know for sure until the Wed. prior to the race. Will this pose a problem? My wife...I mean my boss...I mean my wife hasnt signed off on my travel itinerary yet after numerous and contemptuous staff meeting between the boss and the staff (me).

Kurt
Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I'll bet Lonnie will do what he can to get you racing! C'mon over, the Wichita race is a pretty good time.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:22 AM
rs-ssfan

Kurt,

The Wednesday, or even the morning of the race, is enough notice for me to get you into the matrix. Thanks for checking and hope to see you there.

Lonnie
Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 AM
rs-ssfan

Ok I'm way late in getting these put up but here are the results from the race.

The weather was unlike the typical Kansas weather. Saturday had light winds, times when we were wishing for more as it was getting hot standing in the sun, with low 70s if memory serves. We had a lot of tight racing with no casualties that I can remember. There were 2 fly offs to settle the first 4 finishing spots. Moe and I had a pretty tight race but I just couldn't quite get around him so I took 4th and he finished 3rd. Duane Hulen and Rich Beers had one of the best races of the day with the lead going back in forth 3 or 4 times every lap until Duane pushed a little too much and ended up cutting giving Rich the top honors while he settled into 2nd. Sunday it started looking a little more like Kansas and we were getting 10 - 15 mph winds from the north. I can only think of 1 casualty and that was when Rich hit the small display on take off. Fortunately the display just took a new antenna and reattaching the power wire, unfortunately Rich's 2 sweet is going to need a decent amount of wing repair. After some more tight racing Moe came out on top with the fast time. Followed by Scott Hartman with a newly built Napier that was on fire and flying fast, Scott was pretty happy afterwards because he set his personal fast time and finished well. Kurt Bozarth showed that racing is like riding a bike and once you learn how to do it you can jump back in after a few year break and be competative and finish in 3rd. 424 was on the lower side participation but still showed some tight racing. We were also shown that practice pays off when 3 of the newer guys, Roger Burright, Russ Fitzpatrick and Barry Gosnell, all had great improvement from Saturday to Sunday. Barry even took fast time with a very respectable 1:41 on the long course on Sunday.

Ben Hobbs was out taking pictures and I'm sure he'll be posting them shortly.

Thanks to all the guys that made the trip and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Lonnie
Attached Files
Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM
rs-ssfan

Well it's been pointed out to me that I apparently was sleeping during most of the contest and forgot about 3 other wrecks. Ben was too nice to call me out on it so I'll call myself out on his behalf.

Moe decided that he should show a new guy, Roger, just how tough racing could be and took him out on take off of the first race of the contest when he slide over into Roger's lane. Apparently Moe was scared of the competition in 424 that day.

Duane H decided that he wasn't low enough going through 2/3 on Sunday and went below another pilot to pass them and ended up finding out just how close the ground actually was. Good news was that Wichita had, had some decent rain so instead of hitting the normal concrete dirt it was somewhat soft and the engine seemed to fair ok.

KVT was taking the step into Q40 and for the first couple laps was doing really well when he over pulled at on and ended up lawn darting his borrowed Q40.

So to revise my previous post we had 4 wrecks involving 5 planes for the entire weekend. Not good but not as bad as I've seen in the past.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by rs-ssfan
...Duane H decided that he wasn't low enough going through 2/3 on Sunday and went below another pilot to pass them....
As the "other pilot" I'd like to think I was fending him off.

Kurt

Last edited by Bozarth; 10-14-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Hobbs88

I have posted the Award Presentation Pictures on the NMPRA site...

http://www.nmpraforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4971