Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Control Throws

Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Control Throws

I am putting together a new Texas Racer Similiar to a Scat cat. Just wondering what the control throws should be set to.
I used to use dual rates on my scat cat, and liked them alot. but i have no idea the amount of throws i had on the elevator ailerons or rudder.
And i will not be using a 40 i will only have a 28 engine on it per local rules.

Thanks for any response.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:18 AM
GSJames

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Generally, about +/- 3/16" is pretty good for the ailerons and elevator for racing (depending on c.g. position). We don't use the rudder much except perhaps for the initial takeoff roll. You also rarely use "down" so some pilots use their EPA to reduce the amount of down available to a very small number. START with +/- 3/16" on LOW rates and then adjust them as needed to get the turn radius that you want. During an actual race, you want to go "full-stop" on the elevator in every turn so that you get the same turn radius each and every time. One of the biggest problems that people have is having too much throw for racing. For LANDING you pretty much what as much throw as you can get. Some, but not all, of these Q-500 airplanes handle horribly at slow speed and you will need all the throw that you can get. Have fun! Dub Jett has published an excellent series of articles covering many aspects of racing on his website under the "Crap Trap" section. I recommend that you read them all.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:43 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks