Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Engine for pylon training

Old 04-02-2017, 02:04 AM
whiskey29

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine for pylon training

Hi all,
I recently got into pylon racing, our rules only allow OS .46 or similar,
Running that engine to its peak gives very short life.
I hate the cost of replacing piston and liner $50 everytime just to be able to practice properly.

I was thinking to practice with different engine or plane to help reduce the cost in the long run,
even that means buying faster expensive engine and run it below peak to reach similar performance OS .46

I have looked into jett engines, .56XL is tempting even though its more expensive, it probably will last longer,
but if I run it below its peak performance, might result in colder running and also shorten the life span.

Other option is to get a ASP 52, get a tuned muffler to get similar speed with lower cost since I could get piston and liner at half the price of OS.

If any one has an idea, please do share you exprience.
Thanksssssss
Old 04-02-2017, 07:19 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't overlook the Evo, my .40 seems to outrev most of my OS, T Tiger, Supertiger and even an old Picco. They are at least still made and fairly cheap, as is the ASP, but it is maybe a bits sketchy lately for parts support. I can't say much for flight speeds, as I have only done bench tests.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought OS was the best?

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:41 AM
sahartman21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine for Pylon Training

The Evaluation 0.46 with the one piece muffler is approved for 424 racing. This uses a 9 x 6 APC propeller.

Some people add an extra head gasket for easier needling.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/evolutio...ffler-evoe0461
Old 04-02-2017, 03:56 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahartman21 View Post
The Evaluation 0.46 with the one piece muffler is approved for 424 racing. This uses a 9 x 6 APC propeller.

Some people add an extra head gasket for easier needling.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/evolutio...ffler-evoe0461

Note the OPs location. Indonesia may have different rules as far as what engines are allowed.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 PM
2walla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What are you using for fuel? i have engines that ran exclusively on red max synthetic and after 20+ gallons were still like new... and that was all hard running...
Old 04-03-2017, 06:10 AM
whiskey29

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Note the OPs location. Indonesia may have different rules as far as what engines are allowed.
You are correct, in competition only 4 engines are allowed, asp, supertigre, os and I dont remember the last one.
I have used ASP before however, OS turns 500 more RPM.
However, everyone uses OS .46 and some only use it for a few races before changing the piston and liner,
the only fuel allowed is coolpower 15%.
I guess running the engine screaming at 16, 17k shorten it lifespan by huge factor.

That is why I am searching a better way to power the plane for practice routine,
The need to practice with similar speed is important to get good feeling,
Alternatively, I can build a plane with may be less drag to achieve similar result, however, right now I opt for engine change.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:01 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey29 View Post
You are correct, in competition only 4 engines are allowed, asp, supertigre, os and I dont remember the last one.
I have used ASP before however, OS turns 500 more RPM.
However, everyone uses OS .46 and some only use it for a few races before changing the piston and liner,
the only fuel allowed is coolpower 15%.
I guess running the engine screaming at 16, 17k shorten it lifespan by huge factor.

That is why I am searching a better way to power the plane for practice routine,
The need to practice with similar speed is important to get good feeling,
Alternatively, I can build a plane with may be less drag to achieve similar result, however, right now I opt for engine change.

OS cylinder liners are poorly manufactured. The ASP liners are much better made and often used to replace peeled OS liners. Most folks that use ASP liners in OS engines have noted identical or better performance with longer life.

Running engines at the RPM they were designed for will not shorten their life. Using substandard fuel (cool power is horrible fuel in my experience) and improper needle settings will however shorten their life. Of the engines you listed, the SuperTigre is the better engine of the bunch. If RPM and speed are what you're after, Dub Jett engines are fantastic, however if you cannot use them in the race, I'd not spend the money on one.

If it were me, I'd use the ASP engine and put an OS carb on it.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-03-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:21 AM
GREG DOE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whiskey29, I'll give you a speed secret. If you want to improve your racing skills, practice with something that is faster then what you will be flying in competition. That way when you get into a race, you will have more "time" to concentrate on your "lines and turns". A couple of days before the race, practice with your contest airplanes to work on your "timing". Good luck.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:54 AM
whiskey29

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"If it were me, I'd use the ASP engine and put an OS carb on it." --> I must try that.
Last time I measure it, asp venturi is smaller

Thanks Greg for the ideas too
Old 04-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Toad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dump that green fuel, go with red max or morgans Omega 15. The Omega has some castor in it, parts will last then. That Coolpower all synthetic. green in color, is not a good fuel for racing. too dry.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Stoneweapon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OS "ABN" liner/piston assemblies are made for easy handling and short run-in time. Hard use in competition could lead to loss of top-power but they would still be ok for Sport flying.

I've converted several OS Max 46FX to the ringed piston/liner from the helicopter FX46 engine. They run great and 16-17000 rpm is exactly the optimum for these engines.

The steel liner with ringed piston should last very long with consistent power output.

To buy the spare parts for the conversion may be a little expensive. OS part numbers are listed here: http://www.osengines.com/parts/xr15470.html

I got the parts from cheap offers I found on eBay because the 46-size is not very common anymore in heli-flying.
You can also drop one of the 46FX-H Heli engines in as-is and fly it as an airplane engine.

What props are you using according to you competition rules?

PS: 10 years ago I used Super Tigre G40 ringed for Q500 Sport (tuned muffler and 10x6 APC) and a G500 ABC for open Q500 Pylon racing (ST G500 tuned muffler 8,75x7-8 APC) and they both ran great. Fuel was FAI 20/80 Castor mix. Especially the G40 had great power output compared to the OS and other engines and I still use it today with smaller props and more nitro just for fun. The engine is still running strong and really likes the rpm range betweet 15k and 17k.
If you can get some Super Tigre 45 ABC you might have a competitive and long lasting engine.My experience applies to the "Made in Italy" versions.

Search this Thread