Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

average speed times

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:07 AM
soinks
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default average speed times

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I,m curious what speed times (min's & sec's) are considered good in 424. I'd like to know if I would be competative or should I practice more. I read all the speed tips on here and most people say that a smooth course will help more that anything.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Stand

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: average speed times

IMHO, on a long course anything in the 1:45 area is very good. In the 2:00 area is capable, but not staying on the course consistantly (me). It means you'll prabably get lapped by the 1:45 guys. That being said, keep practicing, but there's no better practice than in a race. So if your flying is not dangerous go race and have fun!
Old 11-06-2003, 11:24 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: snowball

I'd like to know if I would be competative or should I practice more.
Snowball,

No matter how good you are, more practice is always a good thing. That is unless you crash while practicing but then that would indicate that more practice is needed eh?

Even the national champion needs to practice else he will not remain champ for long.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:26 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snowball,

Don't worry about average times... you don't want to be just average do you? Being more serious... a good time is one that is faster than you have ever personally run before. For the short course.... 424 times typically range from about 1:20 to 2:00. The best thing about this sport... is that it is very easy, with immediate feedback, to measure progress in your pylon flying skills via the stopwatch at the end of a heat.

Where in Maryland do you reside? We race 424 & 428 at the PGRC Bowie field. We also have dedicated Pylon practice time every wednesday PM during the racing season.

Dan