Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

fueling a bladder tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fueling a bladder tank

is there any way to fuel a jet bladder tank without a jet tanker and can you replace the bladder part yourself and were can you get hemastats or is there any other thing to clamp the line thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 07:57 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: fueling a bladder tank

The tank can be filled with any type of equipment that will push fuel along a line. Getting the air out of the tank in the first place is the trick. A syringe is the simplest method of doing all this. With a syringe the amount of fuel going in can easily be regulated. Syringes are available from Jett, SIG and H&M racing.

A number of people have tried baby bottle liners to replace the bladder. The trouble here is that the liner does not have a "Necked" end. The material bunches up at the tank outlet and the rubber cap cannot seal it that well.

Hemostats are available from many hobby stores, even drug stores. Any clip that is strong enough to pinch the line is acceptable. Back in my less affluent days I modified a simple wooden clothes peg to do the job. However it did not look chic enough for the pylon fraternity.

Ed S
Old 11-09-2003, 08:12 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

There are two very inexpensive fuel line clips/clamps that work well. They stay on the fuel line during flight, so its tough to lose them. They are made by a company called KSJ and are usually in the Helicopter, or Car section of most hobby stores.

Here are the Part Numbers:

KSJ 221 Fuel Shutoff Clips (Theres about 4 useable in the package, some are the wrong size)
KSJ 975 Fuel Shutoff Clamp (2 per package)

You can see pictures of the clips if you scroll down this thread a bit.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Tank..._459227/tm.htm

Dave
Old 11-09-2003, 10:44 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Now, I'm no expert, so you can correct me (and help me) I haven't bought a fueler yet, but what I do, is fuel it through the fuel outlet, then I use the vent hose, which I plug after filling, connected an old fuel tank, and fuel it till no more bubbles come out. I also use this method on regular tanks, because when the tank is full, no fuel spills on the ground. I use three lines on my Tettra tank, pressure, fuel out, and the vent. I think they used to sell a fuel bottle cap that the extra line went back to the top, so you didn't need the old fuel tank.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:10 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Duane,
You have to suck the air out of the bladder before putting the fuel in, that is the reason for the syringe type of filler. One of the main advantages of the bladder tank is there is no foaming in the fuel from having air in with the fuel. If you don't get rid of the excess air you are defeating the purpose of having the bladder.

You only need two lines, pressure and fuel to the carb.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I guess I didn't really explain it right, I keep pumping the fuel in until all the air is pushed out, using the tank vent, the bladder never gets pressure against it, due to it just circulates the fuel back into the extra fuel tank. Then I plug the vent hose up. I need to get a syringe to only use the two lines like you say. This is only a club pylon plane, not a serious Q500, I don't want the guys getting suspicious over my fueling actions. [X(] It does take longer to circulate a couple of extra ounces of fuel through it, then I have to suck the fuel out of the extra tank too (the extra tank is not in the plane) I hope I didn't confuse anyone, this is kind of hard to explain...
Old 11-12-2003, 09:23 PM
bl10

The way Duane is filling the tetra tank is the method shown on the tank box. They use a third line for a vent which permits all the air to be pushed out the vent. If you do it this way there is no reason to suck all the air out prior to filling.

Barry
Old 11-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

THANKS DUDE I'M RUNING TWO TANKS SO IT HARD TO USE THE TANKER TO GET THE AIR OUT