Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

two tanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two tanks

can you run a tetra 6 ounce and like a 2 or 3 ounce header tank and not defeat the purpose of having a bladder tank and my plane tank can not be wider than two and a fourth inch will the 6 ounce tetra fit thanks NO WHAT I MEAN IS RUN A BLADDER TANK IN BACK AND A SMALLER HEADER TANK TO GIVE MORE FLIGHT TIME BECAUSE THE BIGGEST BLADDER TANK I CAN FIND THAT WILL FIT IS 6 OUNCES AND I WOULD LIKE AT LEAST 8 OUNCES OF FUEL WEIGHT DON'T MATTER
Old 11-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: two tanks

The idea of the bladder tank is to keep air out of the fule feed part of the system at all times. When a regular clunk tank is running low the tank has more air in it than fuel. The engine then becomes starved of fuel. With a properly filled bladder tank the fuel pickup is in a bubble of fuel for the whole run. The engine will not starve or show any signs of a low fuel supply, It just stops and that is it. I cannot see the addition of a header improving on this.

The 6oz tettra is 2.0" x 1 3/4. It is the same size as the 5 1/4oz but 1oz "Longer"

If you need the prefer the 6oz then OK. The 5 1/4 oz tank is ample big enough for a ten lap heat.

Ed s
Old 11-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Stand

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make your own bladder tank using baby bottle inserts. Then you use what ever size tank you want. I have never done it myself and I'm not sure how you get the seal at the plug. Maybe someone who knows how can enlighten us. I think Duane Gall had a write up on making bladder tanks in a past pylon article.

S D
Old 11-13-2003, 05:02 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stan,

Yes, you can do that, and I developed what I thought was a pretty good setup using the Sullivan 6 oz. slant oval (SO-6) bottle and a Johnson & Johnson baby bottle insert attached to the inlet tube using the old CL Combat pen-bladder wire-wrap method. I would've just bought a Jett or Tettra but I wanted to position the tank ahead of the wing on a midwing design (yes, Dave, a pink midwing) without cutting a notch in the leading edge, and the commercially available tanks were too long for that.

I made four of those tanks and they worked well for a couple of years, including contests at Black Hills in 2001 and this year's Nats. I'd still recommend that method for a sport plane. However, most of my problems this past weekend were due to one then another of those homemade tanks failing at the inlet joint. This is not an acceptable failure rate for competition. I finally gave up, grabbed the Dremel sanding drum, hogged out the leading edge, and installed a Jett 6 oz. CG tank. (Thank you, Tony Pacini, and everybody north of Phoenix be sure to shop at Tony's hobby shop!) I now have much more confidence in both my wing spars and my plumbing.

Live and learn ...

DHG