Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

First time speeder needs help

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

First time speeder needs help

Old 11-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First time speeder needs help

I want to put a racer together. No racing at my club- but I just want to try it out.

Should I get the GP Viper 500 or the Lanier Predator?

I have an OS 46FX for power. Is this too much for either of these planes? I'd like to run a tuned(not muffled) pipe on the plane for max HP and speed if possible.

Is it okay to use JR4721 servos on it? Do I need to get mini servos? What size RX batteries are you using? 6V? 4.8V? NiCd or NiMH?

Do I need a bubbless tank? Do you set it on the CG or right behind the firewall?

Any other advice for a first time speed freak would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2003, 01:18 AM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First time speeder needs help

ok first i like the great planes viper they fixed the 123 mines 0-0-0 now [8D] the servos will work the tank works better on the cg if its a bladder tank i would go with the bladder tank if not for any other reason than there more trick than a stock tank and the battery will have to very small like a 250 mah and go really fast[8D] OK FORGOT THE ENGINE PART THE 46 FX WILL BE FINE THE 40S WERE USING MITE MAKE YOU LOOK AT IT TO MAKE SURE IT DON'T SAY COX HAHA JUST JOKING I JUST FLEW MI FIRST Q 500 TO DAY HANG ON
Old 11-11-2003, 10:28 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Either the Viper or Predator would be fine. I really don't see a huge difference between the two. The viper does come with a backplate mount, although not perfect works ok. Both require a few basic mods which have been detailed in this forum. Make sure you check up on them before flying.

The .46fx is perfect, we use that motor on these planes for our local racing rules. Were not using pipes, so I'm not sure what the fastest prop will be with that config, but were getting speeds between 120-130 mph with the standard muffler.

I don't know that JR servo, but I do know that people are running standard BB servos in these planes.

You do not have to have a bladder tank, but they do help. If you don't use one, just make sure its cushioned well, and you should be fine. I would suggest not running out of fuel in flight if you don't use one, as your engine will go lean near the bottom of the tank. Placement of the tank is not as critical for a sport plane. We flew these types of racers for years with the tank up in the nose and never had a problem. I notice a very small improvement with the tank on the C.G.

Have fun. There are plenty of threads on the two planes you mentioned so do a couple searches, and I'm sure you will find plenty of reading
Old 11-11-2003, 01:44 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

I want to put a racer together. No racing at my club- but I just want to try it out.

Should I get the GP Viper 500 or the Lanier Predator?

I have an OS 46FX for power. Is this too much for either of these planes? I'd like to run a tuned(not muffled) pipe on the plane for max HP and speed if possible.

Is it okay to use JR4721 servos on it? Do I need to get mini servos? What size RX batteries are you using? 6V? 4.8V? NiCd or NiMH?

Do I need a bubbless tank? Do you set it on the CG or right behind the firewall?

Any other advice for a first time speed freak would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rcpilet,

Check out this thread for discussion on batteries: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1251673

You do not need to use mini servos but it would make the radio gear installation easier. If you're just looking to go fast and not actually race against anybody, I'd just use whatever radio gear you have lying around. As for the JR 4721s--aren't these what they call "High Torque" servos? If so, I believe they are very pricy servos. I'd save these for that 1/4 scale Laser or Cap and just use standard servos in the Q500.

Be advised however that using standard radio gear will put the plane well above 4 lbs. It'll still fly great but we racers are always putting our planes on a weight loss "diet". That's why we use small batteries and mini servos.

***edit above URL***
Old 11-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 4721 servos are Hi torque-- coreless. They are pretty "high End" servos for 1/4 or 1/3 scale aerobats.

If I can get away with standard servos- I'll just pick up a few 537 servos. I hadn't really thought about the damage to my expensive servos-- untill someone mentioned it. I'm sure that I'll smash this plane up at some point-- and it probably won't be pretty when it hits at 100MPH.

Servo City has a 5 channel flight pack for $138.00 It has the 555 RX and 5 of the 225 servos. It includes a 270mah battery and switch harness too. Would this be good enough for a Predator?

If you think this flight pack will work-- I'll just get it. Thats about the cost of 2 of my 4721 servos.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:49 PM
daven

That flight pack would be perfect.

Many of us are using the 555 receiver and 225 servos. The 270 pack is fine also, but just remember its probably only good for a little over 30 minutes of flight time.

A 6 oz tank with the O.S. will you give you close to 10 minute flights. I wouldn't trust that battery to over 3 flights, and would probably check it after the 2nd.

Batteries that size work fine, you just need to keep an eye on them by cycling regularary and knowing their limitations.

Dave
Old 11-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Prop2buster
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Daven, I'm new to Q500 racing and I want to mount a OS 46FX on to a Predator. With the OS 46FX having the needle valve mounted on the rear back plate, do you have any suggestions or pics as how I mount the engine direct?[8D] Thanks, Marvin.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:56 PM
daven

You got a couple options, you can use the Hayes Beam mount. This works fine, and has the same bolt pattern as the Nelson Backplate.

Or, Lewis Schwabb sells a couple different (round and square) kinds of backplates that mounts to your exisiting backplate. It will be tight getting the fuel line on and off the remote needle, so its easier to just put a 2-3" section of fuel line onto the nipple and then use one of those little plastic L joiners to your fuel tank. Unhook at the joiner to fuel the tank rather than at the nipple. The square one is my preferance because it has the same mounting pattern as the Nelson. The problem with this backplate is that you will need to take a dremel to the remote Needle mount to make room for the bolt (not a big deal). The round one gives you room, but its a different bolt pattern than the nelson.

For a simple sport model, I'd go with Hayes, and mount the engine as far back on the beams as possible.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:36 PM
spitfire543

Daeven-
I'm also interested in Q-500 racing. I've got a 46FX and have been thinking about getting the GP Viper. I don't have a large amount of experience, but I feel I'm learning quickly. I probably wouldn't enter a race untill next fall, after much practice. Is Q500 a good choice? I just want to try some form of competition so I can focus on different skills.
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:59 PM
daven

Q500 is a great choice, and the .46 fx is perfect for where you live. We typically have 6-8 races every summer up here just north of Minneapolis. Get a little practice and come up here and race. We run a standard class, and it would be a great place to learn.