Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Magnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy?

I need an advice from someone with experience. As I lost my Q500 Doddger, including all equipment, on it´s 5:th flight due to a radio failure, and now I´m looking for a replacement.
Is there any alternates to the Viper, Predator and Dominator in the below $200 range?
How strong are these models? Is it just to put my Nelson Q500 up in front and go 424 racing, or do I need to make a lot of reinforcements before they are up to competition standard?
How are the flying characteristics of these models? Do anyone of them have a bad behavior anywhere in the flying envelope, at any speeds, or during high G-loads?
How are the performance vice? Anyone better than the other one? Are they far away from the top models?

With low left turns from Sweden / Magnus Lundstrom

www.faringsorck.com
Old 12-11-2003, 11:16 AM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What to buy?

Magnus,

First, a point of information: AMA event no. "424" is the event where you do NOT use a Nelson, Jett, or other thoroughbred racing engine. If you put a Nelson 40 on the front, you are in "428", also known as Expert Quickie here in the US. I know that in Europe the engine rules are a bit different, so ask around just to be sure.

The Predator is marketed for 424. I wouldn't put a Nelson engine on a Predator without extra reinforcement. The Viper appears to be stronger, so you might get away with it, but be careful. Any factory-built ARF under $200 is going to be -- shall we say -- "efficiently constructed" to minimize the amount of time and material invested in each one. To be safe with a 3-horsepower engine up front, you should either spend more money or spend some time modifying the airframe to handle the extra speed.

Don Stegall's "Pylon World" lists a number of good Q500 airplanes in various price ranges and various stages of completion. Here's the link:

http://www.pylonworld.com/rc_pylon/q...500_planes.htm

None of these airplanes has any vicious flying tendencies. They will all fly like your Doddger. Most are high-wing (shoulder wing) and the Doddger is a low-wing, but they all fly about the same. Just pay attention to the center of gravity (fore-and-aft balance point) and use the manufacturer's recommended control throws.

Good luck!

DHG
Old 12-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Magnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What to buy?

Thanks for your help DHG.
Me, and my supersonic fingers, it should have been 428 in my first post!