Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Tachometer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 07:47 PM
MaxQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer Questions

I'm looking for some feedback on tachometers. Good experiences, bad experiences, suppliers and cost vs. accuracy. I've seen tachometer prices from $25 to $185. I'm currently competing in APRA with a goal of competing in 428 sometime in the future. Thanks.

MaxQ
Old 05-23-2002, 12:11 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

I've got the Hobbico Tach and the Globee IntelliTach and I like the Globee better even though it is significantly larger. Neither are especially good is less than good sunlight.

I like the idea of a tach like the TNC that supposedly works on cloudy days and even indoors (for electrics in my case), but I haven't been able to justify the additional funds for something that is easily mislaid or abused.

Bill has a well tuned ear from years of experience.

When I first came back to the hobby, I hated setting the needle because I had not done it in so long. Back in the 70's I always used a tach on the control line speed planes, even though I could do it by ear. It helps to have even a low cost one, just to tune the ear.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:35 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Tachs

I would be lost without a decent tach. I don't normally carry it to the line with me, but its nice to tach the engine before the first heat to see if you are using the right prop. About 1-2 years ago there was a tach available from Airwild Hobbies for about $50. It is red in color, and you use to see it in the hobby magazines. I'm not sure if it is still available, but it works pretty darn good for the price.

I would suggest trying to locate one of those.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:25 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I highly recommend the TNC. Spend $100 once and you're done. I've got a permanent ringing in my left ear - which was at least partially caused by 30 years of tuning them by ear. Wish I could pay another $100 and stop that D@^# ringing!

The TNC is rugged, reliable and will read in light too low to safely fly without lights. I'd thrown away enough cheap tachs to pay for a couple TNCs before I got one. Now everybody wants to use it!
Old 05-23-2002, 05:28 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41727 ?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:36 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting unit but note it says includes reflective tape. If it requires tape to be applied to the prop it would pretty well preclude its use.

John
Old 05-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recommend the Master Tach from Performance Specialties.
Yes, it's likely the most expensive tach on the market at $185.00 but it has not failed me in over 15 years. I like it for a number of reasons but the main ones are:

a) Analog meter NOT digital ! I cannot stand digital tachs. You need to see the tach "sweep" the scale as you needle and pinch your fuel line etc. This is the best way to find your peak setting and then back off 500 rpm or so.

b) Multiple range settings with expanded scale. The resolution is fantastic

c) Highly reliable optical pickup. I set my tach on the ground and point it at the side of the spinner - not the prop. It reads the spinner cut out as it goes by. There is too much sunlight reflection problems with reading the prop blade. Exspecially with cheap tachs.

For me in Canada, that's a $300.00 tach but I wouldn't be without it. Especially for taching Q40 props and finding the peak. I can needle within 200 rpm and be sure of it. Cheap unreliable tachs cost you motors and frustration.

www.pspec.com then click on "High Performance Accessories", then click on Master Tach.

Randy
Old 05-23-2002, 02:19 PM
R.Bridge

R.Smith, I totally agree with everything you said. I could not function without it, nor would I want to. It is the best $185 bucks I ever spent. And for like $50 to $100 bucks you can send it back in and have it recalibrated and have a new case put on it. I've had mine for about 5 years, no failures and it has become my best friend.

As far as being in a rush getting off the line and throwing your tach in you box and damaging it. Throwing my tach in my box will not save me time, running my butt off is the way to save time.

BUT - from a competitive stand point, I certainly recommend you all by some sort of digital tach. I like to have every advantage possible. :-)

R. Bridge
Team JR
Old 05-23-2002, 04:42 PM
MaxQ

Thanks for the feedback on personal tach preferences. The TNC Model PT seems to be a reasonable choice for my current level of competition.List price is 79 bucks. Any other TNC users out there?

MaxQ
Old 05-23-2002, 04:47 PM
lon53lhc

Yeah, I get pretty frustrated with my cheap digital, I was thinking of getting one of the $100.00 digital tachs from TNC that was highly recommended to me. However, I think I would like the analog types better because you can see rate of change or sweep as Randy Smith said. With digitals you have to actually "read it". Randy, you also said it reads the spinner cutouts, what about the small metal spinners with the small holes used for tightening? $185.00....I guess I will have to save a little longer to get one of these.

Lon
Old 05-23-2002, 04:55 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default TNC TACH

I too finally got frustrated with cheap tachs and got the TNC PTS-10 last year. Should have saved the money I spent on the others!

The PTS-10 has a push button that changes the readout accuracy from 100's to 10's.

My .02 on the tach issue

Dan
Old 05-23-2002, 08:52 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by lon53lhc
Randy, you also said it reads the spinner cutouts, what about the small metal spinners with the small holes used for tightening?

Lon

Lon, these small holes are not an issue. The tach will not read them. The Master Tach has its own little wire stand that folds out and allows the unit to point upwards at an angle at the spinner slots while sitting nicely on the ground.

I always needle from BEHIND the right wing panel. The tach sits in front of the wing about mid span pointed at the spinner. I can see it, my caller can see it and it's great.

Randy
Old 05-24-2002, 05:19 PM
bl10

FYI:
I would estimate 95% of the serious 422 and 428 racers use the Master Tach. As Randy S and Randy B stated it works better.

Barry
Old 07-12-2002, 01:12 PM
daven

Default Master Tach

I checked with Dave Schadel last week about the Master Tach and was told they were on backorder, and he was not sure when they would be available again.

Anyone know where I could get one? Even a slightly used, good condition one?
Old 07-12-2002, 03:44 PM
yojedi
My Feedback: (31)

Most tachometer today have a accuracy of +/- 1%. That translates to about 100 RPM resolution for tachs that support multiple-blade mode (2, 3 & 4-blade) which are capable of reading up to 80,000 RPM. With that said, tachs that offer read-out in 10 RPM increment vs. 100 RPM increment are essentially equal because of the 1% accurracy bottleneck. The only exception that I know of is TNC's tach. TNC tach offers extremely good accuracy and can display in 1 RPM increment. The catch is its prices is also about 4X of the average tach. Which is right for you? You would have to decide for yourself.

As for AirWild's multi-function tach, it's essentially a 3-in-1 device that contains tachometer, volt-meter, and continuity meter. Tach supports 2, 3 and 4-blade read-out, volt-meter offers two resolutions (2Vdc & 20Vdc). Continuity is for resistance measurement, great for checking cable or switch connection. I have one. For about $40 its a very worthy investment AirWild's URL is http://www.airwildhobbies.com .

Yojedi
Old 07-13-2002, 12:21 AM
MikeyD

Default Tach

Dave N.

Im not sure if you will read this before the Nat's , but I have a used one if your intereseted. It's one of the earlier ones, but works great. I'll have it with me a the Nat's if you want to check it out

Mike DeNeve
Old 07-13-2002, 01:35 AM
daven

Default Master Tach

Mike,

I'll take a look at the tach at the Nats.

Were leaving in the morning.

thanks
Old 12-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Heads_Up

Default TNC Tach from PowerfLite

For all you folks out there that LOVED the TNC Tach but HATED to see it be discontinued...

Skyborn Electronics / PowerfLite R/C Power Solutions is in negotiations for the design rights to the TNC Tach. Though we have not decided on a Product Name at this point, we are now taking orders for the first run due in January 2003. It will retail for $104.95 and will be the same design as the no-longer-available TNC Tach. Same high grade optics that allow you to accurately tach your heli, jet, or prop driven model from a safe distance, even in low light, to within 10 RPM accuracy.

THE TNC IS BACK!

Best Regards

Rick Head
Marketing and Public Relations
Skyborn Electronics / PowerfLite
R/C Power Solutions
[email protected]
http://www.rcpowerflite.com
972-267-5099
Old 12-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tach Pic

Hi, do you have a pic of this tach you are talking about?

thanks, BV
Old 12-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Heads_Up

Default Re: Tach Pic

Originally posted by Bill Vargas
Hi, do you have a pic of this tach you are talking about?

thanks, BV
Bill

Here is the picture you requested...

For raw info on the tach, go to http://www.ulster.net/~tnc/tncweb.html

What we will bring to the market is the same thing you will find there ... It may end up looking a bit different but the design is the same.
Attached Images