Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Pylon plans...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 04:03 AM
JayParke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pylon plans...

Hello all. I'm the newest member.. LOL
I'm looking for some pylon plans so I can scratch a pylon plane for some fast fun flyin. I probably won't be able to get to race anybody cus I live in the boonies and only visit a club like every third week. But the next time I visit and if I have my pylon plane built I'll be able to impress a few people.

What I'm looking for are plans. Any plans. Perhaps the fastest design? Or an entry design. I don't care too much. But the faster the better. I've been reading a bit on a few different forums and I've noticed that pretty much all of these pylon planes break 100mph. And I was guessing that 120mph was typical. So I want to build one to show somebody at the club I visit what 120mph actually looks like. Not what he claims is 120mph.

So....are there any plans? I don't really wanna buy a kit just because it's funner for me to scratch the thing.

Oh also I guess I should explain what I'll be using for power. I have an os .46 fx that's sitting in a plane that I don't care too much for right now. And it needs a new home. I was looking at the Q500 type design. I would prefer this because of the ease of building. I also have just standard hs-303 servos. Will these suffice? I see standard for rudder and elevator then micro for throttle and then another I don't know what it is for I'm guessing ailerons. But I'm gonna look that up too right quick.

All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

P.S. You may see this post cross posted in several forum sites across the internet. I gotta get the word out. Heck who knows... Maybe a few club people will be so impressed that they'll want to try some pylon playing fun. I can't get em to combat so maybe they'll pylon.? LOL
Old 06-04-2002, 05:53 PM
JayParke

Default Pylon plans...

Ok after a bit more looking around I've found this thread, http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...07&forumid=111 , that gives basic dimensions of pylon planes. So I can scratch my own just from this stuff. But I've still got a few questions.

Firstly. I see that most wings are foam core then have fiberglass cloth over the middle of the wing and then the thing is balsa sheeted. Well I don't know how to balsa sheet,.. do you need a vacuum for this? Or can I just buy the sheets of balsa and glue em on with wpb then stick em in their schucks and place weight on em? Then after that is done do I just need to cover the wing with some towerkote or such? Or does the wing need more strength somewhere? What size chord should the ailerons be? It appears from most pics of these planes they are nothing more then about 1/2" to 3/4" sized.

Any more airfoils I could choose from?

About the fuselage. What is that extra tail of the fuselage that extends past the v-tail for? I notice that all v-tailed pylon planes I've seen have this.

Then lastly. About the v-tail. I have no idea how to mount one of these things. If anyone has a website with this help I'd be much obliged. I think I've seen one long ago but I can't recall where.

Joshh
Old 06-04-2002, 07:21 PM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pylon plans...

Josh,

From the information you posted.

You have never built a Pylon Racer. You are not familiar with the construction methods used. You do not know how to set up a vee tail or what servos to use. I gather from this you have never flown one, correct?

However, you intend to get one and fly it at 120mph. Do you think you should rethink this?

Ed S
Old 06-04-2002, 10:23 PM
JayParke

Default Pylon plans...

That would be a big negative on all the questions.

But that's pretty much the reason I'm asking for some guidlines to follow and all the help I can get. How else am I going to learn if I never try it?

So that's why I am here. If I have plans to follow then I will learn a lot from building this plane. I have TONS of links that offer help in building with composite so that's not a problem. I just need to know what has to be done to one of these planes to make it safe. And that's exactly why I am here. I could just scratch together a plane with the basic dimensions of a pylon plane and hope that it doesn't turn into a 120 mph lawn dart from the wing cracking under stress. But I chose to ask for help. So again. All the help I get is very much appreciated.

Josh

BTW. 120 mph is the LOW end I was hoping for.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:39 AM
matchlessaero

Default ParkeFlyer

Hey Josh. I have plans available for my Pintail Q500 (my avatar is a picture of one) on my webpage. They are free to download. This is a AMA 424 or 428 legal design. You can get the foam cores cut by a cutter, or I believe Matney models has them.
If you are up for a challenge, I have redesigned this airplane as a high winger, but have not put it on my webpage yet.
My plans are easily built by someone who has built other planes, but I would not suggest them if you are a new builder.

If you are a new builder, try one of the kits that are out there. There are plenty of them listed on PylonWorld, and the prices can be pretty reasonable.

www.geocities.com/matchlessaero/

Good Luck.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:29 AM
JayParke

Default Pylon plans...

Cool. Thanks. I already downloaded that plane a few days ago but thought it didn't work cus I couldn't open it in AutoCAD, but it would open in TurboCAD. Go figure. LOL. But anyhow, I've copied it in AutoCAD now and have looked it over. It so far is most likely gonna be the one.

BTW do you have the plans drawn out yet for your high wing version? Is it just something as simple as moving the wing cutout in the fuse to the top? Or did you make some other changes?

And also I was curious if you have built both the shoulder wing and low wing version? Or do you just have the shoulder wing version drawn up and no model yet? And lastly which version flies better? Or is it just not that noticable?

Thanks for the help.
Josh
Old 06-05-2002, 10:34 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pylon plans...

I produce a kit mainly for my own use but it is available for anyone who wants it. It is a high wing vee tail.

I have full size plans for this. Because the fuselage is glass there is not much detail of fuselage construction on the plans. However the correct outline is there for the fuselage wing and tail. So the plan has basic information. I see you have access to Autocad. If you wish I will email you the drawing file. Which version of Autocad do you have. If, after you have seen the plans you wish to purchase the kit I can do that also. The plan is free.

Ed S
Old 06-05-2002, 11:08 PM
matchlessaero

Default Pintail plans

Jay, I am glad to hear that you were able to open the plans and that you may build one. Quickies are not difficult to build. Make sure that you built it (whatever you build) straight! Straight plans fly fast, crooked planes fly crooked and slow......

I have built many of the low wing version over the years, however I have not yet built the high wing version. The next one built will be a high wing version with a v-tail. Send me your email, and I will be happy to email you the high wing plans.

When you get yours done, I would love to have pictures of it!

If you have any questions while building, just email me.
Attached Images