Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

IS a swept wing legal in 428?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

IS a swept wing legal in 428?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 04:31 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default IS a swept wing legal in 428?

Would a wing like this be legal in 428, if the span was 50, the area 500 square inch and the constant chord?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77148.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	103838  
Old 02-22-2004, 05:10 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IS a swept wing legal in 428?

Mr. Matt,

Most definitely. It is legal as long as it is constant chord and meets the span, thickness and area requirements. You could even have multiple sweep sections of the wing as long as it is constant chord. Imagine a Q500 with a wing shaped like a "W".

edited for grammar.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Ed Smith

As John says it is legal. However pay attention to the interpretation of "Wingspan". Wingspan is measured from tip to tip at 90deg to the fuselage centre line, not down each wing panel from root to tip. To maintain 500 sq in within the max and min wingspan would result in a narrower chord wing. To maintain the correct wing thickness with a narrower chord would result in a somewhat "Fat" airfoil.

Maybe this is why a swept wing is not used very much.

Ed S
Old 02-23-2004, 04:34 PM
garys

Through my interpretation of the rules, a wing with the planform shown would not be legal because of the tips. The wing must be constand chord/thickness for at least 47.5" of it's span. The trailing edge depicted int he pic looks like it would be considerably less than 47.5" Maybe "Mr. Rulebook" Ed Smith can look it up and let us know.....??
Gary Schmidt
Team Futaba
Old 02-23-2004, 06:12 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,

I read it that way, too. If the tips were parallel with the centerline (i.e., ran straight fore and aft) it would be legal.

Still nobody wanting to try a little forward sweep? Stop me before I design again ...

Mr. Tips
Old 02-23-2004, 07:41 PM
garys

Uh oh...Duane and I agree on a rule...something has got to be wrong somewhere...

Duane, go right on ahead and do your forward swept wing. Over the years, I've seen both forward and rear-swept wings, and neither one really did anything special.

Gary Schmidt
Team Futaba
Old 02-24-2004, 01:45 PM
PJ_TankPilot

I think DHG should design one with sweep forward and anhedral.

Don’t know how it would fly, but it sure would confuse everyone watching it. [X(]
Old 02-24-2004, 06:03 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually a buddy of mine built one in 1988, it had about an inch of forward sweep on each side and would turn right now. He wasn't the greatest pilot and it crashed after a few flights, so we never did manage to explore its full potential ... probably would need a stopwatch and a lot of test-flying to know for sure. But no one ever got it confused with anyone else's airplane, though. It was green. He called it the Pickle Fork.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:51 AM
kane

My father-in-law flew a forward swept quickee for a couple of years. It was about 2 inches. They definately turned well. He flew them back in 87 & 88 time frame with Rossi's. Those of you that don't know my father-in-law is Pete Waters.

Dan Kane
Old 02-26-2004, 09:50 AM
SSAN

Dan,

Aren't you suppose to leave there now for the Phoenix Jr Gold Cup?
Just kidding!

See you at Speedworld this Saturday since I got more questions regarding the plug mold. [8D]
Old 02-27-2004, 07:03 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

To maintain 500 sq in within the max and min wingspan would result in a narrower chord wing. To maintain the correct wing thickness with a narrower chord would result in a somewhat "Fat" airfoil.

Maybe this is why a swept wing is not used very much.

Ed S
Ed,

True enough however with the sweep, the angle of the airfoil would be parallel to the thrust line, not 90 degrees to the leading and trailing edges of the wing. This would make for a longer airfoil so it might work out to be a wash depending upon the sweep angle.