Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Doddger???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:49 PM
diggs_74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doddger???

I recently aquired a Direct Connections Doddger. I am thinking about using it in the the local 46FX beginners class. Any thoughts on whether this will work. I have already stripped it down and am looking to reduce the weight a bit. I'm not real familar with this plane but I did fly a bit this winter with skis on it and it was plenty fast and flew great. Any information would be great.

Thanks.
Lee
Old 03-06-2004, 10:41 AM
pylonracer2
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Doddger???

Most people who into the novice class are required to fly with a .40 engine. Like a thunder tiger 40 or an OS 40fx. With the engine that is on it, it would be nose heavy. A plane with a 40 on it would out run your 46fx because of the weight.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:05 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: isecold

Most people who into the novice class are required to fly with a .40 engine. Like a thunder tiger 40 or an OS 40fx. With the engine that is on it, it would be nose heavy. A plane with a 40 on it would out run your 46fx because of the weight.
Actually, .46 engines typically are lighter than their .40-sized counterparts. This is because they use the same casting for the case but are bored for a larger cylinder dia. thus larger displacement.

diggs,

The Dodger with an FX .46 would be a great setup for your entry into pylon racing. Just be sure that your local rules allow .46 sized motors (which it sounds like you've done already). Dave Norman may chime in here with some more pertinent advise as to props etc.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2004, 03:21 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, I've already talked to Lee, and it looks like he is all set.

We use the .46fx locally, and should be adding the .46ax here by midsummer.

Good props range from 8.8 x 8.5 up to 8.8 x 9.5

DAve
Old 03-08-2004, 09:09 AM
diggs_74

Thanks for the info guys.... I'm just about done covering and it's close to the 3.5lbs minimum give or take a couples of ounces I've got a wide range of props to try, just waiting for a good day to test it out. -- Dave, I just posted a question on the NCPL site regarding numbering and the NMPRA, do I have to join to get numbers?

Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:23 AM
daven

You have to be a member of NMPRA to get issued an NMPRA racing number. Although I feel it is a very good idea to support the NMPRA, it is not mandatory to be a member to fly at our races.

For our beginner class (The one that uses the O.S. .46), you do not need to be a member of the NCPL (North Central Pylon League), however, if you advance up to 428 you will need to join the NCPL to fly at their field in Elk River.

Now that I say this, I think I should get my dues mailed out before someone swipes 29w
Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 AM
diggs_74

Well, I threw my NMPRA dues in the mail so I've got that done. I wonder if I'll get 29w

Lee
Old 04-27-2004, 12:44 AM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

How old is this kit? Is it competitive by today's standards? I built one years ago and just got it back up in the air today. It seems pretty fast to say the least even with an old Webra Q500 on the front (man do I hate that motor!).

Shaun Bell
Old 04-27-2004, 09:08 AM
daven

For this class, the doddger is still competitive in terms of speed. I don't think they fly quite as smooth as the newer stuff, but still a good plane.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:52 AM
diggs_74

I just had my first race with the Doddger and it was ok, I'm sure in the hands of an experienced racer it would have done just fine in the local standard class. I've got about a month until the next race so I'm going to try to do some improvements, potting the wing mostly. I may also try zeroing the wing angle of attack because I have quite a bit of down trim in it. Other than that it flew pretty well, now I just need to smooth out the landing a little

Lee

33w