Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Desert Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 02:27 AM
MaxQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desert Question?

What do you guys typically carry to races to flush the undesirable dirt/grit occasionally encasing your engines due to off pavement landings??? Obviously a clean engine is a happy engine.

MaxQ
Old 07-11-2002, 05:05 AM
SSAN

Default Re: Desert Question?

Originally posted by MaxQ
What do you guys typically carry to races to flush the undesirable dirt/grit occasionally encasing your engines due to off pavement landings??? Obviously a clean engine is a happy engine.

MaxQ
MaxQ,

I used Automotive Brake Cleaner for all (external) engine cleaning. It works extremely well and there's no oil residue left afterward. Any Automotive Brake Cleaner should do just fine. I don't have any preference (except for cheapest price).

Sam S.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:21 PM
R.Bridge

Default Desert Question?

Okay, here I go showing my rookie ways. I always use the Gumout carb choke cleaner. Now your telling me that it's not good ? Well thanks for the tip!

The Rookie,

Randy Bridge
Team JR
Old 07-11-2002, 03:02 PM
R.Bridge

Default Desert Question?

I'm sure it does, it's just the regular run of the mill "Gumout Carb Choke Cleaner"... Thanks BV

RB
Old 07-11-2002, 05:42 PM
garys

Default Desert Question?

Randy, your carb o-ring and bearing shields are different.......keep using the carb cleaner and really soak the inside of your engines with it after flying.........TRUST ME..............
Old 07-11-2002, 09:39 PM
R.Bridge

Default Desert Question?

So many different opions? hmmmmmm,....what to do?

RB
Old 07-12-2002, 05:53 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Cleaner

Stay away from the brake and carb cleaners read the labels, these chemicals ( MEK-ACETONE ) are absorbed in to to the skin extremely fast even short contact is very bad for you UNLESS you wear chemical protective gloves ( NOT LATEX OR VINYL ) they may make your eng. look brite and clean but they disolve all protective oil from the eng. as well they can cause any castor oil varnish to become gummy and may stick the piston on a lean run, rather than the varnish protecting your piston, My trick is clean it up after every session of flying with A lite oil ie what Bill uses and don't run the thing lean enough to get so hot that the oils bake on, if it is a ground terrafirma in the dirta type thing simple paint mineral sprits works well and less toxic plus you can mix a little oil with it to lube the inside back up. my 2 cents worth
Old 07-16-2002, 03:02 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Non chemical cleaner

Here's one that I found at the geocery store that actually works. It's called "Mean Green" Super Strength Cleaner And Degreaser. It's kinda' like an industrial strength 409. It will not remove the already baked on oil.

However, cleaning with this stuff will help avoid the baked on stuff.

I just spray it on and let it soak for a few minutes....then get in there with an acid brush, and get it all loosened up real good, then rinse with a spray bottle of water, and dry engine with compressed air.

I found it works real good on 4-strokes that are spewing alot of oil....and I wanted to get as much of it as I could OFF....before it baked on.

Had I not been keeping the four strokes clean, with this stuff...they would surely look like something a cow left behind, by now.

It cuts through the oil in and around the fire-wall area, and all the oil, dirt, grass, ect., rinses right out.