Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Big Race

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:53 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Race

The Annual "Big" Race of the year will be held this Saturday at the Grassfield in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota.

Plan on 20-30 racers spread across Standard and Expert Classes. Great prizes, and a fantastic steak and corn dinner will be available at a minimal cost. There may even be an "after hours" keg of a certain adult beverage that normally comes in green bottles.

After the race a discussion, and possibly a vote will insue in regards to the acceptance of the new O.S. .46AX engine, so don't miss out.

See ya there, weather looks great!
Old 07-23-2004, 09:09 AM
splatt

Default RE: Big Race

Oh yeah, the big one. Me and my faithful companian, spot, are all tuned and ready to go. The weather gonna be killer, 70's and sunny and no f'in wind. None, weather man says less than 5 mph's all day.

Bring your sunscreen and a mug. Bring a crying towel too, cuz I 'm gonna win
Old 07-23-2004, 11:25 AM
daven

Jesse,

Have you figured out where to put the head to get even better Rpms on the AX?

Better bring your own crying towel, your sure to take out pylon #3 by the 4th heat.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:09 PM
splatt

we need to have soft poles , like Nascar's safer barrier. Maybe like a nurf pylon. Than I'll be fine.

I haven't had a chance to play with head spacing. I do peek in at the top of the head to look for the pitmarks of detonation, don't see any. I'm just trying to keep up with all the props that are hot at the moment.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:15 PM
daven

I've tried just about every prop I could find on the AX, and your only looking at about a 10 mph swing in top speed from the fastest to the slowest. The biggest difference we've found is the exit speed after a hard turn. This can fluctuate nearly 30 mph.

Not sure we got it figured out, but I think I have 3 props (Legal D-1 HUB) that should work.

Lets just call them:

Green (Fastest)
Black (Next best)
Blue (Still pretty good)
Old 07-23-2004, 01:19 PM
splatt

Well the nice folks at hobby warehouse keep track of what you buy and orders the same for me
Old 07-23-2004, 01:21 PM
daven

I don't buy them there, but good try
Old 07-23-2004, 01:59 PM
splatt

you might not , but all your little friends do...9.5 x 8.0 n and 9.5x 8.5 n am I close ?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:12 PM
daven

Theres only one other person that knows the sizes I'm using, and he wouldn't have shared it with anyone, and Tom knows not to tell what I'm buying.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:37 AM
diggs_74

I'm just getting ready to leave for the "Big Race" and the weather looks ok, a little overcast here in the land of cheese but other than that....... I got the good motor on the Seeker and it's new wing tips turned out pretty good. If I can bring it home in one piece it'll be a successful day.... If I don't, I'll just have to build another.

Here goes nothing.......
Old 07-25-2004, 07:10 PM
daven

We had great weather for the "Race", and all went well. We had 27 pilots, and we finished 6 rounds, 42 heats, in 4 hours (I think that is a local record). I'd like to thank Jerry E for putting on the best race in Minnesota, Ron and A.J., who kept everyone going quick on the starting line, Scott H.H, for the great Beer Meister, and Dave S. for driving the racers out with his Juiced up Golf Cart and trailer.

After race festivities included the usual steak and corn on the cob dinner, accompanied by some excellent potato and pasta salads, and everyones favorite "scootcheroos" for deserts. It was a long day, but very fun as usual. I think the last group of us left about 9pm after a full day.

Congrats to the winners.

1st Chuck E. (Why didn't you fly like that at the nats ?) (( perfect score))
2nd Ron G. (Plane was smoking)
3rd Pat G (Had a shot at second, but decided to take out the U.S. flag on #2 in the flyoff)
4th Greg H (Great race, but get it above the pylons

Ole' Splatt had a shot at second, but had too much fun chasing Jeryl, and cut out in his last heat. I suffered a double cut similar to Splatt Ola, but still finished 1 pt above him

Fun day, thanks again.