Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Predator assy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Slotrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator assy.

Ok, now that I have the kit(new version) I would like to see if anybody is willing to give out some good assembly tips and mods for the Predator. I have read some of the info on reinforcement of the wing saddles and firewall but would like to read a little more detail if possible? Thanks!

Todd
Old 09-20-2002, 09:55 PM
MikeyD

Default Predator

Todd
You may wan't to look at Darrol Cady's web site.

http://www.darrolcady.com/Neme-Q/predator.html#predator

Mikey D
Old 09-21-2002, 04:53 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Default Predator assy.

Go back to the thread "Predator V-tail incidence"as the factory saddle probably has down incidence.

Also what engine are you going to use? If it's a TT 40 then a lot of the modifications mentioned on this forum are not needed on the new version. If it's a Nelson then (IMO) there may not be enough modifications!

I would buy all new linkage and wheels, and a mount from Performance Specialties.

Richard
Old 09-21-2002, 01:46 PM
Strmrcutr

Default Predator assy.

(Slotrc's alter ego )

Thanks guys for the info, I have a new Magnum .46 sitting in a box that I may use on it to start off with or I might just go straight to the TT .40 and set it up per the rules. I think the TT .40 and the .46 are close to the same size physically speaking? I dont want to have to change a bunch of stuff (mounts, CG, etc) when I'm ready to go racing.

Todd
Old 09-21-2002, 02:03 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Wheels

I would definately consider swapping out the wheels. I have seen quite a few break, and they were not all on bad landings. Get some quality wheels from Performance Specialties or Jett Engineering. Otherwise, be sure to have an extra set with you, because they will eventually break.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racing or Sport

Originally posted by Buck
(Slotrc's alter ego )

Thanks guys for the info, I have a new Magnum .46 sitting in a box that I may use on it to start off with or I might just go straight to the TT .40 and set it up per the rules. I think the TT .40 and the .46 are close to the same size physically speaking? I dont want to have to change a bunch of stuff (mounts, CG, etc) when I'm ready to go racing.

Todd
Todd, Both engines are perty much the same in size and weight and vary by only a few grams,,, so no real issue there.

Now here's something to consider,,, if the Magnum engine you have there is the rear Needle type (???), the Performance Specialty Backplate Mount will fit,,, BUT now you have to configure a new Remote Needle Valve (NVA) setup,,,which means purchasing an after market Remote NVA because I don t think the stock NVA is detachable from the stock backplate and able to be used with a backplate mount. (but if is detachable, then its only a matter of relocating the stock NVA on the backplate mount)

If the Magnum engine has the NVA up front, there on the carb, then I would use that engine for sport flying/Practice and save the TT Pro 40 for Raceday

The linkage setup should be the same as well as the fuel line and pressure line.

So now if you wanting to race, its only a matter of swapping engines to the backplate mount!

Hope that helps!

BV
Old 09-22-2002, 08:00 PM
stand-RCU

Default Predator wings straightening.

While you're visiting Darrol Cady's website for construction ideas, be sure to read his technique for straightening wings. Although it was written about composite wings, it also works on the Predator wing or any wing that has an epoxy sheeted wing. The key is to use enough heat to saturate the wing and to hold the wing into position until it has been completely cooled.

It's under his Racing Info/Tips and Techniques:
http://www.darrolcady.com/Racing_Inf...tips-tech.html

Stan D.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:38 PM
PJ_TankPilot

Default First Flight

Whatever you do, on your first flight, make sure you have someone standing with you who can move the trims while you fly. Predator wings can measure perfectly straight but have a ton of roll due to variations in the left and right wing panel airfoils. If you have this problem and need pitch trim also, it gets real exciting.

I don’t know about you, but I have difficulty moving the trims while I have the stick in the corner.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Slotrc

Default Predator assy.

Thanks PJ... My thumbs are a little larger. Thanks for the "heads up"

Thanks guys for the help, keep the good information coming.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:51 PM
crashinmike

Default Predator updates

Hi Todd,
Makee sure you toss the original wheels, they break easy. As far as the mounts go, check with whoever you are going to race with. The mount from Performance Specialties is not legal with a lot of groups since it requires you to change a part of the original stock engine.
I am using a nice simple mountI bought from the guy i got my gear from. All you do is pull out your four backplate screws, add this disc to the back of the engine and put back in the screws. It works great. The flat part goes behind the head. It is real light.

Crashinmike
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Slotrc

Default Predator assy.

Thanks CM, I will look into it.