Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Engine choice for Pylon Racer

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Engine choice for Pylon Racer

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 06:18 AM
Snaggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine choice for Pylon Racer

What's a good engine choice for a pylon racer? Will most of the air frames handle what some of these high powered engines can dish out?

I was looking at the following engines for a Q-500 pylon racer.

Thunder Tiger Pro .40 - $75
MVVS Q500 .40 - $170
Rossi Q500 .40 - $190
Jett Sport .40 - $220

Right now I just want to fly a pylon racer with the idea of maybe competing with it at a later date. Based on some of the recomendations in previous threads I was looking at Bill Vargas's - Racer II Q500 airplane. I would start in the AMA 424 class, if did decide to race. Do you have to use an APC 9x6 to compete in this class?

I've seen people recommend the TT Pro .40, the MVVS Q500 .40 and the Jett Sport .40. However, I haven't seen anyone mention the Rossi Q500 .40 engine. Has anyone flown this engine on a pylon racer?

If so, how does it perform? Is this engine too heavy for the airplane? Boy, the economy of the TT is VERY ATTRACTIVE!

What kind of speeds are you guys getting out of these engines and what kind of props are you using? I'm sure this varies greatly based on the type of airplane it's on, etc... Just some general numbers is what I'd like to know, just to get a ball-park figure.

Keep in mind I'm looking at the AMA 424 Class. I can't wait to get started!

Thanks in advance,

-Steve
Old 12-29-2001, 02:26 PM
Ed Smith

If your are new to racing it probably means that you will be racing locally. The choice of engine and airframe will then be determined pretty much by what is being used in the area you intend to race.
Unfortunately the AMA 424 rules have been corrupted by so many local/regional rulemakers that it would be wise to enquire of these people what is allowable. Some of the engines you mentioned would be allowed in some parts of the country yet not in others for the same level of racing.

This, in my opinion is one of the biggest obstacles to promoting racing to newcomers. The AMA has rules in place for this level of racing but nobody uses them. Until such time that National rules are used Nationally newcomers like yourself will always be wondering what to buy and will it be useable it another district?

Welcome, and Good Luck.

Ed S
Old 12-29-2001, 06:34 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

All of the groups I know of racing 424 will allow the Thunder Tiger Pro 40. The other engines on your list are excluded from 424 by their ability to turn an APC 9x6 at more than 16,500 rpms.

Jett does have an engine used by the SEMPRA group in the southeast, but it is not the Sport Jett. The Sport Jett uses the OS 46 FX mounting pattern, but the engine used by SEMPRA is effectively the same engine as the Quickie Jett with a different carb, muffler, and head button (combustion chamber). If you want the SEMPRA Jett, call Dub and tell him what you want. I believe SEMPRA allows the other engines you mention. Their rule is basically that the engine cannot be competitive in 428 ... i.e. they are trying to limit speeds to 150 mph or so.

In terms of 424 competition, get the TT Pro 40 if you can't any local info. Let me know where you are if you can't find any local info, I may have info that is not on the web site yet. If you do find out some local info, let me know so I can put it on the web site. Thanks.

You will also want to get a backplate mount from Jett or Performance Specialties. See their web sites (go to PylonWorld if needed). I also recommend the Great Planes 8-32 or 6-32 Brass Threaded Inserts instead of blind mounting nuts to hold the backplate mount to the firewall. Run them in until they are just flush with the firewall. This will prevent the backplate mount from crushing the firewall. If you get the Jett Conforming 4 bolt Backplate Mount, it uses the same mounting pattern as a Nelson Engine, plus you can also get the conforming mount for the Quickie Jett also ... When you are ready to move up. Plus, if you want to race in a Slow Quickie race, there is a Hayes mount that also fits the mounting bolt pattern. BTW, conforming means that the mount conforms to the 2.25" x 2.25" firewall size used in Q-500.

While you are shopping at Jett, check out the Bubble Jett tanks and the Super Tanker. A large number of people use the Tanker, even if they use Tettra tanks instead of the Bubble Jetts.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:50 PM
Snaggs

Default Pylon Racing...

Well,

I did some checking over the last couple of days and the only sort of pylon racing we do in our area is with a Four Star .40 running a SuperTiger .40 engine.

The general consensus was that pylon racers were too expensive and that most anyone that was interested in pylone racing had flown a Four Star before. Even pylon racing a four star between all the clubs here there's only about 5-13 pilots that show up for it.

I had someone else locally recommend the ReVlution racer.

I'll most likely go with the TT Pro .40 and either the Racer II from Bill Vargas or the ReVlution racer. The price is pretty close on each.

Anyone have any experience with one or both of these?

Also, I still don't know if these things have to be painted or if they're Monokoted. Can someone answer that question for me?

Thanks,

-Steve
Old 12-29-2001, 11:34 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Steve,

Both the ReVlution and the Racer II are all balsa. They can be MonoKoted, or they can be painted. A lot of people use EconoKote on the wing (Red is the lightest) because you can cover the wing at low temp and not worry about damaging the underlying foam. Some prefer to paint the fuselage and stab because of all the seams that result from covering it.

If you aren't sure you can build a straight plane, get the Racer II in the Bones. The ReVlution comes all framed up. The prices for the same stage of completion for both are comparable. Check the Q-500 Planes page on PylonWorld for pricing and contact information.

If you aren't afraid of sheeting a wing, and want a fiberglass fuselage, the HurriKane at $110 is a good option. You will have to paint the fuselage, however.

Feel free to ask any questions ... I've thoroughly researched most of the available (and no longer available) planes, and will be happy to share details. That's why I created PylonWorld.