Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

The Doddger

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:17 AM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Doddger

Is the Doddger still around? I built one several years ago to race in the Tangerine and got my butt whupped. Strange how a complete lack of knowledge in the event will do that but it was my first race. The plane survived until I sold it and I'm curious if they are still around. If so, is it a competitive plane? I've been thinking about Hodge's offer of a plane/TT engine for $150 and going over there to try racing again but I wouldn't mind finding another Doddger just for kicks.

Rick H.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:35 AM
SCPYLONRACER

Default RE: The Doddger

Rick,
When you go to a race like the Tangerine the guys that attend are some of the best pylon flyers in the US, so don't be discurraged about your performance. The Doddger was a great racer in it's day, but the new high wing V-tail airplanes are better flying and faster. The Viper/TT-40 deal that Mac Hodges is offering is the best you will find. Remember, part of the deal is that you come to one of the races in Americus GA. At Mac's races the flyer's are split into two classes "A" for the more advanced racers and the "B" for those new to racing. If you have any questions please let me know.

Bill
Old 09-25-2005, 10:32 AM
308jockey

Yeah, I went to the Tangerine to fly pattern and did well. The racing was sort of a lark since I was already there. I didn't do well but had a ball. I have a V-tail of some kind in my shop waiting to be built. Got it from a friend and can't remember what it is. I like Mac's deal and in the time I have could finish an ARF like that. I only live a couple of hours from Americus and planned on hitting his pattern contest next year. It's a beautiful place, I've been there for some fly-ins. Sure is tempting. I would definitely be in the newbie class.Maybe I will order it in the next day or so.

Rick H.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick: glad to find a fellow R/C pilot in the area. War Eagle friend! I am a student at the university and have heard that there is a flying field somewhere near Opelika, but have been unable to locate it as of yet. Do you know where it is?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:06 PM
308jockey

Yeah, there are two good ones in the area. We are flying out toward Tuskegee on a privatley owned full size grass strip, it's about 15 minutes out of town. Give me a call at (334)444-4097 or [email protected] and I'll fill you in. Also, Hobbytown can put you in touch with me or my dad.

Rick H.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:43 PM
RANIERY
My Feedback: (3)

well, i have a dogger converted into a high wing and v-tail and it really moves; if you can get it in the pylons is tough to beat. besides we just had a race in fort lauderdale the 10 and 11 of september and the winner of both days was a dogger and one hell of fast time of 1:35 and change. go figure. if you find a kit buy it and don't be afraqid to use it in 424.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:01 AM
MadScientist

I'll be bringing out that Doddger this weekend to Mulberry. That one was found in a swap meet really cheap by a friend of mine, and given to me. I had quite a bit of repairing and modifications to make, as someone really hacked it up for sport flying. I really do prefer the standard tail setup to the V tail, and in 424 there's no real advantage to a V tail, so I'll keep flying the Doddger as my main plane for awhile. Does anyone know of unbuilt kits of this airplane around? I'd love to have a few of them, so I wouldn't have to switch to a V tail for my backup plane.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

MadScientist,

I think I have a kit in my basement. I'll see if everything is there and let you know, I don't intend to build it.

For some reason, I remember swiping the wing sheeting for another project, but I'm not sure.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:52 AM
diggs_74

I think I still have the plans for that Dave... I'll bring them to the race on Saturday...
Old 10-03-2005, 09:58 AM
MadScientist

Thanks Dave, that would be great if you could do that.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:19 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, kit dug out successfully. I sent you an email.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:56 AM
MadScientist

Thanks Dave, I'll let you know when I get it in the air.