Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Whittier

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:17 AM
bl10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whittier

The Whittier Shoot Out, ninth in the Western Pylon Series is History. After some initial difficulties due to problems getting the pylon equipment to the field, racing got under way with a bang. Q40 was particularly intense with Fred Burgdorf turning a 1:00.29 with his black propped Nelson powered Mike DelPonte Proud Bird and Bruce Coffey turning a 1:00.52 with his Jett powered Jerry Small Sidewinder using one of Bruce’s own wood props. I was in that heat and ran 1:04.50 and almost got lapped. Quite a race. When I said Q40 racing was intense that was probably an understatement. Out of eleven Q40 entries 6 were lost to midairs. Fred Burgdorf won with Jim Womack Second and myself third.

While from carnage point of view, 428 was a lot safer place to race. The competition was fierce with Jim Allen taking the win with his Nelson powered Fly-Fast Composites NEMQ+ with a 104.39. As fast as Jim was Fred Burgdorf set fast time with his Nelson powered Chuck Bridge Vortex of 104.10 and finished second. Gary Schmidt was third with his Nelson powered NEMQ+ turning a 107.16.

APRA had low turnout but good racing ensued non the less with Don Schelling taking first with a 1:37.90, Gale Enstad taking second with a 1:39.03 and new racer Jim Padelt taking third with a 1:45.23. I don’t know which airframes the APRA guys were flying but I think there was a Predator along with a couple of Bill Vargas Racer II’s in the mix.

It’s now on to Phx. for the Western Pylon Series wrap up in Nov
Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 AM
TIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whittier

Thanks for the update!

I didn't get to make it this weekend but I enjoyed reading about it.

Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Good luck in Parker!