Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Boom Box Starting Clock???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom Box Starting Clock???

Hello......

A while back I heard about a club using a boom box as an audible starting clock. Someone has put some kind of a starting routine on a CD and they just "play" the starting clock. Sounds pretty cool to me. Does anyone have any experience with this? Good/Bad? Anyone know who developed the CD? Is it available? for purchase? Any information appreciated.... Best Regards, Jeff..
Old 11-11-2002, 01:40 AM
bl10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'v seen this on flying starts where engine noise isn't a problem. I would think it would be difficult at best with 428 or 422.

Barry
Old 11-11-2002, 06:00 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I know that we have used many different types of starting variants for local racing (not quickee), but went towards a count down clock, starting with a verbal over a megaphone by the event CD, or starter. Obviously, this has variants of cadence and timing for one to listen to and is used for flying starts. When we started the T-34 racing series, we decided to go to the recorded start clock like had been used at the giant scale races. One puts the CD into the boom box, presses play for track 1, and then holds a microphone to the boom box and is played over an amplified sound system so that it is loud enough for all to hear. Next year our club will have purchased a PA system for its events and it will be used at the races for this manner,eliminating the boom box. Our countdown is just a recording made by someone on the computer. It says, "You have twenty seconds till the start of the race... 15..... 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,zero". Works for us and I think it could work too for any other type of racing.

Michael