Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Fuselage construction

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 12:49 PM
jprge C.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuselage construction

Hi again,
I know it is very important to have the nose of the plane as ridged as possible. My question is what type of construction methods are you guys using?

The first one I did was 3/16" balsa sides with carbon tissue between the 3/16 and 1/64 plywood doubler going through the wing saddle. Firewall was 3/16" 5 ply birch and a 1/8" lite ply full front cover

I also did one with 1/8" basla sides with carbon tissue and then 1/16" balsa cross grained. Firewall was a sandwich of 1/16 ply, carbon tissue, 3/16 balsa, carbon tissue, 1/16 ply and a 1/8 lite ply full front cover. I have used sandwich firewalls for the last couple of years on giant scale stuff and it is by far the strongest and lightest - just more work.

Looking forward to your input

Jorge
Old 11-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jorge, are you bagging the fuselage sides with the Carbon Tissue? And are you using this C/F tissue anywhere else?

I've been doing the old fashion way,,, using lite cloth in layers up there inside the nose compartment.

BV
Old 11-15-2002, 10:14 PM
daven

I got a pretty good look inside the nose of one of my Vortex's (dang midairs).

You would probably be suprised to see how much chopped carbon fiber and resin that is filleted around the firewall, and back to the 1st former.
Many of the newer Q500s are using either a 1/2" firewall or a 3/8" firewall laminated to a 1/8" face plate.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:53 AM
daven

Jorge,

Here is a picture of a Racer II that I am working on.

Firewall is 1/2"
Sides are 3/16" with 3/32" Lite Ply Doubler
Bottom is 1/8" ply
Generous amounts of chopped Carbon Fiber soaked in finishing resin
Can't see the sides, but the firewall is pegged with 1/8" hardwood dowels ( 2 per side )
When the plane is done, it will be completely fiberglassed with 3/4 oz and painted.

And still lighter than the composites
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36357_310.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	22697  
Old 11-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DN, are you doing that the intire length of the fuse or just in the fuel compartment?

BV
Old 11-19-2002, 10:33 PM
daven

Only the fuel compartment gets the generous amount of Carbon Fiber and resin. In fact, I used a little more resin than I would have liked to, I should have added another pinch of CF.

Even though it looks like a lot in the picture, that is about half of what Chuck Bridge builds into his Vortex's.

For the rest of the fuse (just to the rear of the back servos), I take carbon fiber tow 1/4" width and tack glue with CA in the corners. I then mix Finishing resin with a lot of micro balloons and make a small fillet in the corners back towards the tail.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:57 PM
Larry F