Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

questions about mvvs q-500 engine & viper

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

questions about mvvs q-500 engine & viper

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:11 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about mvvs q-500 engine & viper

hey everyone i bought a viper about 3months ago but im waiting on my engine. at first i was going to get a jett q-500engine but was talked out of it by people at my field so i ordered the mvvs q-500 engine. basicvally what i wanted to kno whas are these engines good. cause im at a crossroad cause the engine is still on backorder n it will take at least another 2 months and i am considiring getting a jett. what do u guys think should i get the jett or wait for the mvvs. also this is just for fun n just racing against club members. lemme here your thoughts and opinions and thanks

ps: also the person who talked me out of the jett just bought one!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:47 PM
rcav8tor

Default RE: questions about mvvs q-500 engine & viper

Dude....go with the Jett. I used to own an MVVS Q500 motor and it's not even in the same league as the Jett. BTW, I got rid of the MVVS and got a Jett. Order the Jett .50 with black Q500 muffler, turns around 19,000 rpm static with an APC 8.75 x 9W prop. You'll love it, trust me.

In summary, cancel the order for the MVVS and get on the phone with Jett Engineering and order a Jett .50 with the black Q500 muffler. Dub will answer any questions that you might have. Bob Brassel, who frequents the Q500 and Extreme Speed Prop forums can also help you out with questions.

Hope this helps.

Seth
Old 01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

cool thanks for the help man i realy appreciate it
Old 01-02-2006, 11:23 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

oh also i have another question i am looking at buying a nelson q-500 engine its used but in excellent condition so i was wondering how does jett compare to nelson i kno if u get a nelson u have to rebuilfd them often but all in all which is better nelson or jett.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:32 AM
[email protected]

without trying to insult your intelligence I would certainly state that Nelson engines, and Jett for that matter outlive any other high performance engine that I am aware of in there category.
I have owned both Nelson and Jett and over a period of 5 years have NOT rebuilt either engine- they are the 40 size and have been and still are being pushed 'hard' in pylon.
For the persons that indicated to you that Nelson require regular rebuilding then I humbly suggest he has been mislaeding you.
In summary, cancel your MVVS, go get either a Jett or Nelson, learn to operate them properly and your investment will be rewarded by non repair/ rebuild bills. regards trevor h, new zealand.[:-]
Old 01-03-2006, 12:41 AM
rcav8tor

If you're looking to race in the AMA 428 classs, then the Nelson is the better choice. If you just want to go fast, then the Jett will be much more user friendly since it has a throttled carb that will idle. The nelson has an air valve carb used for shutting off the engine only, no idle. The Nelson doesn't have to be rebuilt any more often than any other 2-stroke engine if cared for properly. (no lean runs)

Later, Seth
Old 01-03-2006, 12:45 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

I had an MVVS Q500 motor and I loved it. But it is no Jett. It was more comparable to the Rossi and Webra Q500 motors that were used in 428 before Nelson and Jett became THE motors of choice.

Which is better, Nelson or Jett? This ought to get some spirited debate going because Nelson boys love their Nelsons and the Jett boys love their Jetts. Both makes of motors have won lots of races and it is my opinion that they are equally competitive. It just comes down to being familiar with the setup of whichever choice you've made.

In my experience, on any given day my Jett Q500 motors seem to like a little less prop pitch than the Nelsons. But my planes have been just as fast if not faster than the Nelson powered racers. This tells me that the Jett unloads a bit more in the air.

Your buddy has some nerve telling you to get an MVVS while he is getting a Jett. Sounds like he trying to take advantage.

On a sport/just-for-fun Viper maybe the Jett .50 with the Q500 muffler would be good. But if it was me, I'd definitely get the full blown BSE 428 Q500 racing motor.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:46 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Yo rev Bro!
Before jumping off a cliff, lets review where you are attempting to go. Iff you are going to race other Q-500's with Nelsons, the SPORTS JETT 50 IS NOT FOR YOU. The sport jett 50 is designed to be a great sports engine, idle well and throttle well. The power and revs are a happy by-product of a good overall design, but its not a racing ingine, its say it with me A SPORTS ENGINE. You want to race against the neslsons, either buy a Nelson Q-500 engine or a Jett Q-500 engine, now we can compair apples with apples. Don't take me wrong, I have a SJ- BSE 50 and love the thing., also a 35 and 90L, love them all. Would not attempt to fly any of them against a Q-500 engine, Jett or Nelson. Call Dub Jett, tell him what you want to do and he will send you a great engine to do it with. Oh, yea, the MVVS is a dog as have been most Rossi I have had.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 AM
crasharama

OfFrOaDfReAk22,

I wanted the MVVS quickie for an F20 that I had. I placed the order with Morris Hobbies, & was also told it was on backorder back in August last year. I waited over 9 weeks for an engine that never arrived, & after alot of international phone calls, & promises of giving me their own personal exhausts to fill the order, I just gave up. The story was that they had engines but no exhausts for them. I e-mailed & cancelled the order, which they never responded to as well.

After that I sent an e-mail to Dubb. Within 12 hours of ordering the thing was off the mill, test run & in the box. While this was happening Dubb was sending e-mails to let me know how it was going. 3 Days later it was over here in Australia. I am very happy with the engine & customer support given by these guys. Have a look on the Extreme Speed Prop forums to see what I mean.

Good luck,
Tony.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:29 AM
djlyon

Before you mount a Nelson or Jett Q500 engine on that Viper make sure you do a search in this forum on viper. It'll give you an opertunity to fix before fly. That way you won't have to watch it disassemble itself on the first high speed pass down the field.

This is how things work. First you and your buddies have fun racing up and down the field with legal racers or otherwise. Then you deside to put up pylons and try flying around them and yourself. Next you try doing it with 2 or 3 planes up. Then by chance you and your buddy go around 2 and 3 wing to wing really racing. You are now where we want you. You have felt the rush and you are hooked.

Denis
Old 01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it
Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
diggs_74

What you really need to do is coming up here to MN and do some racing with us... You get that Viper and a Nelson and you're in like flinn. I bet one of us could even give a dry place to sleep .. As a matter of fact I have an older nelson Q-500 motor if you are interested... It may not spin the heavy props (8.8x9.25) but it would be a good way to get started... Let me know....
Old 01-03-2006, 05:22 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Sounds to me as if this gentleman knows nothing about any of the engines mentioned. Anyone considering a Nelson or Jett engine should have at least some knowledge of what they are getting into. If the engine is to be used to just knock around then he should get the same engine as the guys he's going to be flying with at his club. Other than that he should forget true racing engines until his knowledge level is raised quite a bit. A TT 40 is probably all he really needs in the first place on his viper. Ya gatta crawl before you walk!! I suggest he save his money and get a TT 40 and have fun. At least this way he would be legal in some class of pylon racing if he discovers he likes it.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 AM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

ok fancman i do kno what im geting into, and the reason im loking at these engines is because all the people at my club that iwill be racing against run nelsons and novarossi's. and diggs_74 thanks for the help. me and my dad mite go up to min. for some hunting and i got to st. marys for hockey camp every year so maybe ill bring the plane up with and crash at my uncles house and maybe we can race well see : ) thanks for all the help guys. and diggs_74 where are you from in mn.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:43 AM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

also im not a newb i have flown fast planes before and i am a very good flier. thought i should add that in. : )
Old 01-04-2006, 09:31 AM
splatt

Diggs is a cheese head, kinda near the Twin Cities over the river
Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 PM
diggs_74

I will be the first to admit I'm not a Minnesotan I live in WI just on the east side of the mighty Mississippi River that seperates the Cheese heads and Mudducks... We race 424 and 428 depending on the weekend you decide to come up... Shortly the NCPL (www.ncplracing.org) schedule should be up and it lays out the dates and racing class. It's a good bunch to race with and everyone is very helpful...
Old 01-06-2006, 03:09 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So the MVVS Quickie engine is a pretty decent engine (works, is faster than regular .40s) but it is not competitive with the hot racing engines. Did I get this right?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:53 AM
djlyon

you got it
Old 01-07-2006, 12:16 AM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

okedoke ill probbably pick up a engine if i find one up at the swap meet in wisconsin that im going to tomorrow or today depending on when u read this. but yah anyway i have yet another question i have aqquired a rossi53 not a novarossi just a rossi and i was wondering if i was to put this in a sig cougar that i have how would it fly? would it be pretty fast i had a supertiger46 ewith a performance specialties pipe and it hauled a** also the pipe it comes with is so beat up its not even funny so where can i get another pipe for it i reall ywant one of those long ones. does anyone kno what owuld be a good pipe for it? thnks for the help
Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 AM
djlyon

The rossi 53 on the black tunned muffler will get you about 1000 rpm over the ST.

Denis