Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

2 pylon course

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 03:31 PM
F1race79
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 pylon course

Where do you guys stand on a 2 pylon course??

Thanks,
Julius Miller
Old 11-20-2002, 03:52 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default 2 pylon course

I'd rather fly pattern.

BORING!
Old 11-20-2002, 04:00 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Default 2 pylon course

We stand on the outside of the start/finish line. Planes stay in front of us. Can't wait until April when new season starts up... Thinking of trying a 'v'tail racer but don't know yet cause I use rudder an aweful lot.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:07 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default 2 pylon course

Rudders are very effective on a V-tail racer. With a computer radio, the mixing is simple. Most radios have a V-tail setup included which makes it very easy.

However, if your using Rudder alot on the course your slowing the plane down.

Try and balance and trim the plane so that rudder during flight is unnecessary.

Rudder should only be needed on takeoff and landing.

I'm with John though, after flying 3 pole, I can't imagine flying 2 pole. In my opinion, 3 pole is safer.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:33 PM
splatt

Default yo dave...

I think 2 pole racing is flown with the pilots behind the flight line, which is boring. Flying 3 pole with us out in the middle is the only way to race.

As a follow up on rudder and vtail, I'll lean on the rudder with my predator when I need it. I consider it my panic button. If I'm turning too tight or rolled over too much I'll apply right rudder to save it. If your using it to maintain knife edge than it's slowing you down, move the CG back alittle.

I told this to a fellow veteran pilot and he said that if gets into a tight situation he'll roll the model further, than push down on the elevator. No guts , no glory

My experience with rudder makes the the model unroll and climb, good luck.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:15 PM
PJ_TankPilot

Default Adrenalin

I race warbirds around 2 poles. It used to be exciting when 4 warbirds came around #2 in a pack. However, not as much adrenalin as 3 pole.

Now that the AMA has moved the 2 poles into the next county, it has lost most of the excitement. Now you have to drink lots of coffee to stay awake. This may be my last year for 2 pole.

2 Pole can attract new pilots who are do not want to start racing inside the 3 pole course.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:12 PM
bl10

Default 2 pylon course

Paul:
What are the current 2 pole course requirements? Is the distance out still about 1/2 the course length or has it changed. I looked at the AMA web site and could find no reference.

Barry
Old 11-22-2002, 05:54 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2 pylon course

Hi Barry-

After discussing with Steve Kaluf and Rich Hanson in August, it was determined that of course the pylon rules apply to any form of racing. However, if you race anything over .40 cu/in, the pylons are 1/2 the distance of 900 feet, or 450 feet away from the pilots. Fortunately, one can get a waiver for the event from their district VP, but some fields don't have the distance from the runway to the spectators (pits is right there against the runway) and the AMA makes them keep the pylons out. We were able to run the pylons at about 275-300 feet from the pilots at the SCCMAS, with a 660 foot course and get a waiver. Spectators were about 500 feet from the pylons. I think it all depends on the field tha the race venue is being held at and their ability to set up a safe race course that the AMA will grant them a waiver for.

Michael
Old 11-22-2002, 07:03 PM
PJ_TankPilot

Default 2 pylon course

I don’t have all the numbers. I know that SWRA races are getting waivers, but only on the condition that the 2 pole course is moved back part way and left. Pylon 1 is in front of the pilots and pylon 2 is so far away, it is very difficult to judge where it is. I suppose you can get used to it but it will never again be as much fun as it used to be.

The above .40 rule is weird but understandable. Mass and velocity would be more appropriate but much harder to measure and enforce.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:13 AM
bl10

Default 2 pylon course

AMA 2 pole rules have always used half the course length for the pilot set back then another 100 ft min back to the staging area, the back of the pits is the full course length. For 40 sized engines (don’t know if 46 would be considered 40 size) the course length is 660 ft which puts the pilots 330 ft back and the staging line 430 feet back. The spectator line would be 660 ft back. These dimensions were in affect before I started racing. The SWRA and many of the ARF racing org’s either didn’t read the rulebook or didn’t care. The AMA started demanding verification that the physical layout of the course was within specifications for 3 pole when we went to off course judging and I suspect the same for 2 pole. As was stated earlier it is possible to get a waiver for minor course deviations. The answer to these huge distances is probably to fly 1/2A as the set back for two pole is only 165ft. As to which is better they both are. It just depends on how you prefer to fly. The 2 pole guys will say 2 pole is safer and most 3 pole guys believe 3 pole is safer (I’m in the 3 pole camp). One thing’s certain its much easier to practice 2 pole at most fields and the pilots get a much better view of their race plane on the 3 pole course.

Barry