Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

New Q-500 kit arived YIPEEE!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

New Q-500 kit arived YIPEEE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Steve Parsole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Q-500 kit arived YIPEEE!!!

Hi Louis,
I am hoping you are on here. I just want to thank you, the plane arrived and the kit looks great. I hope to start on it this weekend if all goes well. Right now two kids are home with the flu.
I went over the plans , everything is nicley laid out so building it should be a snap. I know you said these are not the finished instructions but they should be fine. Real nice cores and sheeting. The CF spar is a neat idea the way you did it. I will let you know as I start to build it and will post some pictures.

Steve
Old 02-14-2006, 09:34 PM
David Hill
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New Q-500 kit arived YIPEEE!!!

Hi Steve,
Great keep us posted. I bugged Lewis for quiet a while for kits, I still have one of the old original ones from 1998 or so. I am guessing from what you wrote this is the balsa/foam wing version???
I got an email from him last week telling me the composite version will be coming soon and will use the NACA 66-012 airfoil so I can use my racer II wing on it. He is going to sell me the fuselage kit and I can use the wing I have. He also said the BOP wing I have will also fit so I may get a 2nd one for that wing. That plane just came out too heavy, but the wing is great.

David
Old 02-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Lewis S.
My Feedback: (229)

Hi Steve,
Glad you like that, those were cut with a pin router, the production ones with the laser cutting at even nicer. If you have any questions, give me a yell.

Lewis
Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Steve Parsole

Hi there,
Figured i would let you guys knwo how I am progressing and then ask a couple of questions. I built the Pacemaker, came out just great, really thrilled how well it went together. It is by far the stiffest and lightest quickie I have ever built. I used the polyester and clear finish Lewis suggested and the wings are done with red, whit and blue medium silkspan and klasskote clear. With 3 HS 225 servo and a HS85 on the throttle I am 3 oz under wieght. OK now my questions:

1) Since I am under wieght, should I go with a 600 mah nicad pack over the CG to get me closer?
2) Lewis recommended I might like to try the JR 3121 servos if I am going to fly in 428. Are they much better than the HS 225?
3) I have never flown with expo before, is it absolutely nessasary? If so how much do I use? I have a JR 8103 radio.
4) Lewis said the CG can have a fairly wide range from 2.75" to 3.1", but preffers it closer to 2.75". Can a plane really have a that wide a CG range.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Ed Smith

1) Put the fuel tank on the Balance Point, otherwise the trim will change during the flight as fuel is consumed.

2) Many of us use the Hitec 225 sevo.

3) I cannot speak for others, I use atleast 25% expo. That is not unusual.

4) That range is not ideal but the plane will still be flyable. If all of your previous airplanes had the fuel tank right behind the firewall then you probably had that range during the flight. Did you notice a difference?

Ed S
Old 03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

1. when it comes to weight, I try to use it to my advantage with a stronger airframe, rather than a bigger battery. I would glass the inside of the fuze from the nose to the tail if you can get at it. If not, get the tank on the C.G. and use a bigger battery.

2. the 225 servos work fine for 428, but they are not the best when it comes to centering. They like to drift around center causing you to either move the sticks to comepensate or trim. I think the Expert SL451 servos are better than the 225s at about the same price, but the digitals like the JR 3421 or Futaba 9650's are definately better.

3. I do not use any expo in quickee, and about 10% in Q40. I really don't like it, but I know many LOVE it. I would suggest starting with a small amount and adjust to how you like it.

4. Once again, its pilot preferance. I like a rearward C.G., but many do not, it all comes down to your flying style. Experiment and find out what you like.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Steve Parsole

Hi Ed and Dave,
That you for the input. I have the Jett tank just about dead nuts on the CG right now. I am going to take the plane into work today and check it with a better scale to make sure mine in my work shop is right.

Dave, exactly what you mentioned about the centering on the 225 is what Lewis said, but he did not mention that Expert servo. Have you used them? The JR 3121 servos are very nice, but are more than twice the price.

I have not flown the Pacemaker yet, weather here is not cooperating. Just had snow yesterday. I had to oder a new battry anyway, that is why I was asking. That is also why I asked about the CG. I am going to start with the CG how Lewis races his with and I guess adjust from there. He said the closer I get to the 3.1" the more expo on elevator I will need to fly real smooth. He suggested at 2.75" I did not need any at all.

Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Ed Smith

3. I do not use any expo in quickee, and about 10% in Q40. I really don't like it, but I know many LOVE it. I would suggest starting with a small amount and adjust to how you like it.
Young guys do not have the same amount of "Thumb shake" as the older guys.

The JR 3121 servos are very nice, but are more than twice the price.
If you use the 3121 or the lesser 321 then order up several packets of spare servo gears. The slightest bump on these servos and the gears strip.

Ed S
Old 03-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Steve Parsole

Hi Ed,
Thank you very much for the heads up on the 3121 servo, will sure keep that in mind. Since I am going to be flying 428 with this Pacemaker and the one coming , I just want to make sure I get it right. Lewis said he uses the JR3121 on the Vtail, 3421SA on the ailerons and a HS85 on the throttle.

What servos do you use? You do a lot of flying so I just wonder what other guys are useing for 428 planes?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 AM
daven

Steve,

The 3121 is rock solid in my opinion, I have not had the gear stripping issue that Ed mentioned. The expert servo is nearly identical to the 3121 (same case, gears, etc). I personally can't tell a difference between the two. I've been running them in 428 locally for the past couple of years without any problems. I do put better servos in my expensive composites, but the Experts have been going into just about all my Seekers for local racing.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
diggs_74

I guess maybe it's my lack of experiance but I can't tell the difference between the 225 and anything else in a quickie.. I must not be going fast enough I have the digitals in my composite quickies but really didn't notice a difference compared to the regular 225's..

I run about 10-15% expo now but started with 25%.

As far as the CG is concerned, just get it close and fly it.. It would have to be way off to make it unflyable... I don't know about the Pacemaker but it seems the further back the CG the fast the plane seems to fly... I now have all my quickies set at 3" back.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Well... I don't use the 3121... but the much older 3021... except for the gears... these servos are bullet proof... in fact I havn't seen any nylon gear survive that last big bump! Buy a couple of extra sets of gears when you get your servos.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Steve Parsole

Hello,
I really want to thank all of you for the feedback, always helps to get other people thoughts. I just bit the bullet and ordered 6 3121 servos and 3 3421SA servos. I also ordered a few of those Expert servos you mentioned Dave for my son's Seeker. I am really going to be curious how this all turns out. I used to be a pretty fair F-1 racer years ago, just trying to get my fingers tuned up again. I was real happy to come across Lewis' kit as I really did not want to spend $500-$700 a copy for a disposable airplane. I can still remeber when i met Glen Spickler and we picked up kit for $25.

Again, thanks for the help. I will give you the report on how it flies. HOPEFULLY SOON!!!!

Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 03:55 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$25 is still about what it costs to build a Quickie.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Steve Parsole

Hello,
$25 maybe if you scratch built and not count your time as value added . Some time it would be fun to run a Spickler 500 only race with the TT-40 engines used today in 424. A real good time with the Spickler and a K&B 40 on the short course was a 1:45. Ahhh the good old days. I loved it when my dad took me out the first time to race.

Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 07:05 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, building them is a hobby. Racing 'em is a sport.

The Spickler is seriously oversized in the fuselage by today's rules. Plus having aerodynamics about 40 years behind times. The good ole Klatter and Bang .40 engine. Better have Bobby Tom's number on speed dial to get the good parts.

Here is a couple pic's of a Spickler 500 kit. The FIRST Quickie. These flew pretty well as a high wing too.

The real cost of a composite? Depends on your tax bracket. Could be as much as $1000.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72547.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	419484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20400.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	419485  
Old 03-03-2006, 07:22 PM
daven

Were running close to 1:10's on the short course with the O.S. .46 AX, timing is nearly identical to 428 on the long course.

About 6 years ago, we were still running 428 on the short course. Talk about screwing yourself into the ground.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Steve Parsole

Hello,
Well I had to go down in the shop to see if I could find it. I have an ORIGINAL Spickler kit I won as !st place and it was signed by Glen Spickler. Meant more to me than any trophy. I will try to post pictures of it.

OK back to my Pacemaker build. I know everyone these days says to counter sink the bolts. I still love the old Rocket City low profile smooth head bolts with the captive slots. Is there really any reason I can' t use these? When I was in the USAF, all the ground school and training we had, the instructors told us "dimples and smooth raise fastners don't mean a rats a** as far as drag goes"

So what are the thoughts COUNTER SINK VS ROCKET CITY

Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 08:47 PM
daven

I personally like countersunk, but those are nice bolts. Wish I could find some in 10-24, the local hobby stores haven't had them in ages.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Steve Parsole

Hi Dave,
The ones I have I got from Lewis, maybe check with him. He had these made up by some place out west and is ready to go into production soon. Don't know if he has that size though. I figure it won't slow me down as much as my thumbs >Sunday looks good weather wise for the first flights. Drove my wife crazy, ran up the Nelson in the yard right after work. Boy do these things sing. I can remember we used to be thrilled with 21,500 on an X-40 on 50% nitro. These engine only has 12 runs and is rich turning an APC 8.8 x 8.75 close to 20,000. My how times have changed.

Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 09:34 PM
daven

Sounds like you got a good engine. Keep it rich and work into it slowly and it will last a long time.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Ed Smith

So what are the thoughts COUNTER SINK VS ROCKET CITY
Use flat head (Countersunk) screws in countersunk holes. The screws will bite and not back out.

Ed S
Old 03-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Steve Parsole

Hello,
Well we did it. Nearly frooze my fingers and butt off, but just got back from the field. First 3 flights went great. Dead nuts on right off the bat. I had the HS 225 servo in there right now, but will put the JR's in when they come. This thing really goes great. Just got off the phone with Lewis to give him the good news and ordered 4 of the composite versions for my son and I. Figure we might as well be flying the same stuff, just easier that way.

Takeoffs are super easy, just a touch of up and went straight as an arrow. I have to get used to the V-tail on landing. He said the rudder mix was VERY effective and pitches the nose down slightly. Well it does just that and I went clear by us by 200 feet. The darn thing never slowed up.

Steve
Old 03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Steve Parsole

Hello,
Well all of the new servos came today so I switched and put in all of the JR servos in. Boy are they nice and smooth. I am very anxious to see if there is a differnce. I am using the 3421SA on the ailerons. A few friends of mine that fly jets recommended it over the regular JR 3421. I hope I did the right thing there.

The 2nd Pacemaker came today, looks real good , this one is laser cut, not pin router cut. It is also set up for the NACA 66-012 composite wing I should have shorthly. We are supposed to have near 70 degree weather out, so I am going with my jets pals to a private airport and do some speed testing just to see where it stands. The engine is still fairly new so I am going to stay on the rich side and run the 8.8 x 8,75 prop for now.

Steve