Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Which engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Perminator-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine?

Hi! I'm thinking of starting with pylon racing next season in the swedish Q-500 class. It's quite different from your american classes and everything is pretty standard. No expensive race engines and only 10x6 props. The big question is which engine to choose. I want one that I will use only for racing so it has be a real revver but also be user friendly. I have an old HP silverstar but the muffler crapped out on me and it's almost impossible to get hold of a new one (it's the old made-in-Austria special super duper muffler). The engine that has dominated the class for the last years is the old (also Austrian-made) Webra Speed 40 GT.

The rules prohibits the use of pipes and only FAI fuel without nitro is allowed.

So, the part I want your opinion on: Which engine should I choose? I have narrowed it down to a few (no particular order):

Mvvs 40 GFS/R
Irvine 40 Mk III
Webra Speed 40 GT
OS 40 FX
HP 40 Silverstar

The complete list is available at: Engine list

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2002, 03:26 AM
weatherly

Default Which engine?

if you use the 40 fx....i'd pull the baffle..and have someone machine a couple of spacers for you....I machine the spacers my self for the fx 46 engines and get 1200 to 1500 more RPM....the best i've found so far is a 2.5 inch spacer between the halves....
Old 12-20-2002, 04:41 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Which engine?

Perminator, considering the fact that you are just starting it may pay to talk to racers there and go with what works under your rules. I suspect that some of the engines on that list are sold in this country with a different compression ratio than europe to allow for our nitro usage making it difficult to recommend any engine from this side of the pond. Also on that site I noticed you have two Q500 classes Q500 and SQ500 so presumably the entry level class may not allow any mods at all so be carefull of doing engine/muffler mods . Here in the US our entry level, 424 has different engine rules in various parts of the country.

I did notice that and Not really being able to read it, Webra was mentioned quite a few times and perhaps that is a clue. Do talk to the people you will be racing with.

The sample drawings of airframes for both Q500 and SQ500 are all low wing conventional tail. I would be curious to know if the 'V' tail/ high wing, which is predominate here is not allowed?

Best of luck and do let us know how your adventures go.

John
Old 12-20-2002, 05:26 AM
Per_N

Default Which engine?

Hi Perminator
I'm racing in this class and i can tell you that 98% is Webra. They are the best, but more expensive.
And to John, there is only two kind of planes allowed in the beginning class. One is the Sonic 500 and the other is almost the same. No Vtail allowed and no chaching of airfoils. The only thing that is allowed to do with the engine is shims. Nothing else.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:32 AM
Perminator-RCU

Default Which engine?

Yeah, I know the Webras are king but also almost impossible to get your hands on, at least the old model. I've also heard that the new ones pretty much suck a**. Of course that depends on what you compare it to and what standards you have. The extra bucks don't scare me. I'll buy a new Webra if it's worth it. However, it would be fun to try something new for a change.
I'm a member of Sala Mosquitos and we have several great pylon pilots in the club. They all race the old Webras. Well, one of the uses a OS 40 FX and it's crap. I already have a Sonic 500 but no engine to put on it.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:03 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Which engine?

Thanks guys, always interesting how things are done in other parts of the world.

Perminator I understand your wanting to try something differant but if you are a new racer which is what I understood from your first post then may I susgest that working with unproven engines in your venue is a mistake. That is best done later with a little more experiance under your belt. Really the most important thing to do now is to learn to fly the course. Many races are lost even with more powerful engines simply because the pilot could not 'fly the course'.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Per_N

Default Which engine?

Hallo again Permimator!
You said you are racing for Sala, then i take a guess Are you Simon?
Well the old Webras does not do better then the new ones. That i am 100% shore off and i have proof. I have personally flying faster then those people that have the old models. The most important is how you fly and how good you plains is build. Straightness of the plane is one of the most important things.
One thing more, there are not many left with the old ones, most people have to change "kolv&foder" sometime and once they do that, there benefit is gone and they have same as a new one.
(Sorry for the Swedish words "Kolv&Foder" but i can't remember the translation right now, I think it is Piston and ?)

Per Nordengrim / Väsby Modellflygare
Old 12-24-2002, 04:06 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ?

Originally posted by Perminator
Njet, inte Simon. Per, heter jag (också !). Har figurerat i samband med pylontävlingar i Falun, Ludvika, Borlänge, Arboga och Sala förstås. Ganska nära gissning dock. Simon bor bara ett stenkast från mig. Han kör OS och jag måste säga att jag inte är särskilt imponerad av prestandan. Att han sedan oftast flyger en kilometer längre per heat än övriga deltagare är en annan sak. Det tar sig.

Det där med de gamla Webrorna sitter väl antagligen i skallen på de gamla rävarna i klubben. Jag tycker det tjatas och gnatas in absurdum om dem. En språjlans ny Webra är nog närmast i inköp. Har du nån koll på var man kan köpa en sån i närheten. Stockholm, Västmanland?

Ett annat koncept är en Mvvs. Har inte sett så många som kör såna men de verkar ha ganska hyfsat med pulver. Att de sedan är snorbilliga underlättar ju.

P.S. Foder heter "sleeve" på engelska.
HUH ?

BV
Old 12-24-2002, 10:46 AM
Perminator-RCU

Default Which engine?

that was swedish, try to figure out that one!
Old 12-25-2002, 05:28 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Which engine?

Since both of you proficient in English we would appreciate you posting in English. If you want to use your native tongue then please use back channel.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:01 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which engine?

btw...this was done not because there is anything bad about the language but rather we don't have staff to translate it and thus cannot moderate it effectively without significantly more work. At least at this time this is the case but I'm working on a translation module for RCU which should make this a moot point in the future.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Per_N

Default Which engine?

Sorry about that, wont happen again.
Didn't know.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:47 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Which engine?

Originally posted by Per_N
Sorry about that, wont happen again.
Didn't know.
Actually ... I need your language skills.

Please read this thread and post or email the resultss
Old 12-28-2002, 03:38 AM
Daniel Z

Default Which engine?

how about using TT40? it is relatively cheap and a nice performer
Old 01-09-2003, 04:53 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Default HP Silverstar

Perminator, I don't know how much it would cost for shipping to you, but MECOA in California still produces the HP Silverstar engine. It's $149, and they should have original mufflers available

Don't know about the super duper mufflers, though.

http://www.mecoa.com/

http://www.mecoa.com/hp/ss/hpss.htm#hpss40

Best of luck.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:37 AM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

Default another option

How about the Fox 40 - the Fox engines are famous for wanting to run on FAI fuel and are great performers on 10x6 props.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Perminator-RCU

Default Which engine?

Thanks for the information but Fox engines are pretty hard (if not impossible) to buy here in Sweden. And since the Webras totally dominates the Q-500 scene here I think I will go with that one. I know many who run them so help with the little tuning allowed will be available too. The Thunder Tiger pro seems like a good engine but it's not really any cheaper than the successful Webra.

I know HPs are still sold in the US and that there are spareparts but none of the old kind that I want. I can get newer mufflers from a clubmate but it won't give the same punch.