Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper-Predator debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
grubs4flyn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper-Predator debate

Just trashed another one hitting number 3 during practice. Please comment on what you think is the better kit. Should I stay with another viper or risk getting a Predator II. Anybody seen a PII at a race yet? How did it do against the Vipers? I got nothing against Vipers for the money, they are ok, except for the covering jobs, but 20 bucks is 20 bucks. 6 predators for the price of 5 vipers. Free plane every year the way I go through them. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
diggs_74

Default RE: Viper-Predator debate

There was a PII at our race(424) last weekend and it looked like it flew well and was as fast as anything else out there.. Ran with all the Seekers, R-200's, Vipers ect... I've actually been thinking about using one for our 424 races and saving my Seeker's for 428..
Old 05-25-2006, 01:35 PM
daven

Jerry B flew one.

He thinks he likes the Vipers better, but they tend to be heavier.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:51 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

If you keep flying into the pole during practice.... buy one of each! Save those low moves for the race when it counts and everyone can enjoy! IMO the Viper is far better construction and a decent stiff fuse and wing and a better airfoil although it weights considerably more... and the Predator is no lightweight. IMO... in 424 thumbs count far more than the plane since the top speeds are so similar... I had no trouble beating most Vipers with a crappy three year old original version Predator(which just died an honorable 2/3 pylon death by an overweight Viper). So.... each has it own advantage.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Super Splatter

The covering on the Pred II that Lee talkng about was nice and tight, and the owner beat me with it.

Go for it
Old 05-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Jerry-B

I have used the Viper, the old predator and the Predator II for racing. The Pred II is much better than the old model, stronger firewall, enclosed linkeage, a V-tail that lines up
with no trim needed. But IMOH the airfoil is not as good as the Viper for speed and my Pred II came out 4 OZ heavy, that is better than my Viper that was 7 OZ heavy.
My Pred II jumps off the ground and goes almost straight up, I have to give it down as soon as it gets airborn. I would say they are about equal considering they both have some faults. they make good 424 racers not 428.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:47 AM
DMyer

Sounds like the Pred II has a version of that funky popup airfoil we tried in 428 prior to the 66-012. We used to take those off while holding a bit of down elevator until it got up a little airspeed and leveled out. That is a curious way to takeoff but it works. After finally killing my 4 year old Pred I am building my first VIPER(been waiting 3 years in a box) and I can see how it will be 7-8 oz overweight... I am afraid to place it on my scale.... that plane needs a serious diet and is only better wood selection(especially for the wing) away from being a truly fine 424 ARF.

Dan
Old 05-26-2006, 09:37 AM
daven

Some guys here have hacked off the heavy Viper wing tips and hollowed them out.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:49 AM
DMyer

Any idea how much they actully saved per tip? I am guessing that those large tips are all solid hard balsa and about 1 OZ+ per tip could be saved by hollowing out to about 1/8-1/4" minimum thickness.

Dan
Old 05-26-2006, 11:01 AM
daven

I'm not sure, I can check.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:07 PM
grubs4flyn

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll keep with a Viper since I have so many spare pieces. Anybody need an engine mount ?