Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Is there any rules where to put the wing?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Is there any rules where to put the wing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Per_N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any rules where to put the wing?

I'm Building my first AMA428 Quickie and just wonder, How far should the wing be from the firewall or how do i now?
I Have cut out my wing seat about 4,5" from the firewall to the LE.

It must be some rules about this, that i don't now of.

Thank's
Old 12-30-2002, 06:26 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Nose length

I don't believe there are any rules on the length of the nose, but I do know it will have an impact on how and where your plane balances. I'm at work, but I would guess most of todays planes have between a 4 - 4 1/2" nose. The longer noses have dissapeared as we've found further back C.G.s turn better with the current airfoils.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Per_N

Default Thank's Daven

It looks that i'm not totally lost then.

I'm not sure if the word rules was the right one, but that was what i come up with. It looks that you understand me anyway.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:23 AM
Ed Smith

I am right now building a plug for a new Quicky fuselage. My previous fuselage was 5" from the wing LE to the firewall. For the new one I have shortened the nose to 4".

I always had to add tailweight before.

Ed S
Old 12-31-2002, 07:23 AM
Per_N

Default Thank's Ed

And the totally length of the fuselage is 34,5" what do you think about that?

Do you know if it is important if the tail has some special size, i mean if it has to be some % of the wing area or something.

Fly Low - Hit Hard
Old 12-31-2002, 07:29 AM
Per_N

Default Plug?

Ed, i forget to ask you. When you building a plug for the fuselage, are you building one for the sides and another for the top? or is it possible to do all in one piece?
Old 01-01-2003, 03:49 AM
AKMac
My Feedback: (1)

What about wing placement as far as high-wing, and low-wings are concerned? I wonder how a mid-wing would do. It sure would set you apart from the crowd.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Ed Smith

Default Fuselage Plug

My fuselage plug is made exactly like a completed fuselage. All in one piece.

It has been my experience when making molds for square section fuselages with the seam along the top/bottom or side/side centreline that the molds always cave in. This results in a very bad join line needing a lot of fixing, defeating the purpose of glass fuselages.

My joint line is along the corner of the fuselage opposite to the wing saddle. My mold has been called a "Bathtub Mold". It has three sides and a detachable top. The two sides, the fuselage top, the wing saddle and tail seat are in one part of the mold while the bottom plate closes the mold. I lay up the glass in the bathtub with firewall and wing mounting blocks. I lay up the bottom and then close and clamp the mold while all is still wet. I then go in through the wing hole to address the seam. When the fuselage is removed from the mold all that needs doing is to remove the flash along the bottom corner. A few strokes with a sanding block does this.

Midwing airplanes may set one apart from the common horde. However it is high wing vee tails that win all the contests.
Midwings have other inconveniences. Because of the big hole when wing is removed the fuselage is very weak and relies on the wing mounted in place to stiffen it all up.

With the wing in the middle of the fuselage there is not much room left for radio gear and tank. If the midwing is one piece with access hatches that can be a real nuisance, this usually means the tank is in forever, an absolute no,no in a racing airplane.

Happy New Year

Ed S
Old 01-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Per_N

Default Your plug Ed

That was extremely interesting reading Ed.
Because my friend and i have plans to make a plug. He is very good in aerodynamics and also to work with glass. And i working with 3D milling machines and have no experience with aerodesign. I have only flying one season so far. So as you can understand i really don't understand everything about your explanation about your plug. I would be the happiest man on earth if you would like to email me some picture of your plug, that would give me some ideas how i should mill the plug.

My email is: [email protected]

Thank's anyway for you explanation.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:24 PM
stand-RCU

Default Low wing/ mid wing

A low wing or a mid wing configuration will have more drag that a high wing using the same airfoil, fuse and tail feathers.

At every angle junction to the fuse drag is produced. In a low wing the airflow over the wing is forced to deal with the wing to fuse joint in two places. This air flow is faster than the airflow on the bottom of the wing which means there is more induced drag caused by the faster moving air flow. Also there is usually dihedral added to the low wing making the drag worse; i.e., the smaller the angle at the joint the more the drag increases.

On a mid wing you have added two more angles to cause drag on the underside of the wing.

With a high wing you have removed two angles from the top of the wing and the two remaining are dealing with the slower air on the bottom of the wing. That's why most configurations are high wing. There's less drag and the resulting airframe is faster.

For a similar reason a v-tail has less drag that a conventional tail; only three angles to force air through. Usually two at 125 deg. and one on the top at 110 deg. and with the v-tail mounted at the top of the fuse not sticking out at the middle of the fuse or at the bottom.

Stan D.