Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Dominator 500 directions IS IT RIGHT???

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Dominator 500 directions IS IT RIGHT???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:42 AM
dodgefsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dominator 500 directions IS IT RIGHT???

Step 12 in the directions it says to use the 3/32 scrap from the BOTTOM of the wing to cover the remainder of the fuse.

I thought the TOP of the wings was 3/32

Well on the plans it shows the Top as wing covering as 3/32
and then it shows the Bottom as 1/16

now what do i do??????

anybody know??????
Old 01-16-2003, 02:52 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Wings "use" to be covered with 3/32" on top, and 1/16" on the bottom. This was because the majority of planes at that time were low winged, and I suppose it just made sense.

Nowadays, most of the available quickees have 1/16" on top and bottom, but are reinforced underneath with Carbon Fiber.

Its been a while since I built my Dominator, and can't remember which thickness I put on each side, but to be honest, I doubt it will make a difference. If you have already sheeted the wing, I would leave it as you have it and use the scrap 3/32" from whatever side you used it on.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Darwin

Looking at my copy of the instructions, it looks like there is a typo in step 13 for the fuse construction. I sheeted the wing top with 3/32 and the bottom with 1/16 and used the left-over 3/32 for the fuse bottom.

With mine, I found I needed to do lots of sanding/carving in the tail saddle cut-out in order to get the correct incidence for the V-tail. Because the fuse is narrower at the tip than towards the front, you will need to relieve (cut down) the saddle nearest the tip, otherwise your V-tail will have negative incidence, relative to the wing.

After all the adjusting of the V-tail incidence, I ended up having to add some supporting scrap balsa under the V joint, just to increase the glueing area. To do this, I had to temporarily remove some of the fuse bottom sheeting to get access.

So, if you haven't already glued all the bottom sheeting on, you might want to leave the last 6 inches uncovered temporarily. This will let you have access to reinforce the tail area and also give you more manuvering room when you plan the pushrod exits.

Darwin
Old 01-18-2003, 08:43 PM
CentryEagle

I have built about 15 of this fellow. I used 1/16 for top and bottom. Just use fiberglass cloth to reinforce the wing inside. Carbon tapes are not as useful as I found out but if you want, criss-cross it on foam rather than to place it near to leading and trailing edges. Use whatever sheeting is lighter for fuselage but strengthen the firewall and landing gear area.

Hudson