Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Plans or Kit for old style Quickee 500

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Plans or Kit for old style Quickee 500

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
StanDouglas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plans or Kit for old style Quickee 500

Hey Duane, looks like a Florsheim 9B to me
Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
rondo35
My Feedback: (15)

Just finished flat black primer on fusalage, now going to wet sand and paint with a two stage automotive paint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39401.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	851292  
Old 11-08-2008, 05:52 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

High Plains, did you ever make some copies of the plans? I am really interested in getting the Spickler Quickie 500 plans. Can anyone help?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take the photos Highplanes posted eariler, and print them to scale, you can cut and stitch them together for a good workable set ouf plans. Every thing needed is there.

I lucked out when I first started this thread. One of the guys found a set of plans that just happened to be in an extrat kit he had and I bough the kit. I never saw the need after that to CAD the plans as I first though about. I've yet to build the kit, but I need to build a replacement wing as the one I now have was fuel soaked at the aileron torque tubes and the LE was caved in. When I skinned it to start the repairs, I found it had been patched together a couple times before and the fuel soaked TE. When I get around to building it, I'll probably build a couple. I'll also put in individual aileron servos vs the single center mounted one.

The fuselage is near indestructable. I went to step over it on the flight line one day and planted my size 10, powered by all 220 lbs of me, dead center between the wing and rudder. It chewed up the prop a bit, but when skinned the covering off to see the damage, there was two cracks in the 1/8" top decking. A couple spost of CA and it was back in business. I had to straighten out the landing gear though.

Don

Old 11-09-2008, 03:58 PM
BarryReade

Thanks for your input Don. I am not a real techie kinda person and was hoping for a full size set of plans. I am most appreciative of the plans made available and will try and see if I can't get them enlarged so I can use them.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM
gmortensen

Folks,

Back in the late 70's I built a Quickee 500 called the RCM 15-500. I underpowered it with an O.S. 35 and installed a canopy to give it a sportier look. The result was one of the best flying sport planes I ever flew. It would perform any maneuver I was capable of and slowed down for landing just like a trainer. Alas, I didn't save the plans, however they are still available at www.rcmmagazine.com, plan # 539. I believe they want $11.00 for the plans plus shipping (which, in my humble opinion, is excessive).

This is a great design that deserves an encore.

Cheers!
Geren
Old 01-31-2009, 06:16 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Geren, good to have you aboard.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
gmortensen

David,

Thanks for the welcoming words! I'm tempted to spring for a new set of plans for the 15-500, even though the shipping will cost almost as much as the plans. Or, I could probably draw a new set of plans based on what I know and/or remember about the plane (50" span, 500" wing area, 15% thick symetrical airfoil) plus some basic aeronautical design principles. Should work. I'll keep you posted if I decide to move ahead with this project. In the meantime, it's back to the 71" Sig J3 build.

Geren
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
393wr

Try This: 130$!
http://www.giustozzi.eu/?p=89
Old 02-08-2009, 02:55 PM
gmortensen

Thanks, giustozzi, that is one slick looking airplane. However, I have to confess that my interest is not really in racing there's no racing actinity in my club (although there is a lunatic fringe that participates in R/C combat!) My reason for re-introducing the RCM 15-500 was to suggest that although the 15-500 certainly wouldn't be competitive today as a racer, it would definitely fill the bill as a great all-around sport plane. And who knows, maybe if I can convince enough club members to build one, we just might indulge in a little casual racing!

I'd post a picture if I could figure out how to do it!

Cheers,
Geren
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33504.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1130446  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:56 PM
gmortensen

Oops, I guess I did figure out how to do it!

Geren
Old 02-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you know, the ribs are the only complex things in the kit. Well, there is a bit of a curve to the fuselage sides, but the ribs are critical.

I can't seem to find a way to attach a PDF file, but if you want a file that is one page, and gives you nine ribs to cut out and glue on your wood for templates, drop me a PM with your Email and I'll send it to you.

Don
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
DonStegall

I created PDF files for the Spickler Quickie 500 that anyone should be able to take to a FedEx Office / FedEx Kinko's and get printed. The paper size is Architectural E ( 48"x36" ). I created both Portrait and Landscape versions of the plans, mainly so you can view them via your PDF viewer. I think you will want the Portrait for printing at the print shop, but takes both.

Here they are:

[link]http://www.quickie500.com/uploads/Spickler_500_Plans_Landscape.pdf[/link]

[link]http://www.quickie500.com/uploads/Spickler_500_Plans_Portrait.pdf[/link]
Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
DonStegall

I picked up an original Spickler Quickie 500 kit today.

I went to FedEx Kinko's and got a print made from the PDF file on www.Quickie500.com ... Make sure you tell them to use "Scaling: None". And use the Portrait version for easiest setup. It came out very close to the original in size. Not off by enough to matter.

I also got copies made of the original plans. They charge $9 for a 48" x 36" copy. But I got them in quantity and got a better price. So if you want a set of plans and don't want to go to a print shop, contact me. I will post a price in a few days. Rolled in a tube costs more to ship than folded flat.

The original kit was hand cut. I'm good with a bandsaw and I'm going to cut some kits that will include the full wing parts as well as a set of foam cores. The price will be $75 or lower and I will have them within a couple of weeks. Contact me to get on the list.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 AM
japan3d

ORIGINAL: DonStegall

The original kit was hand cut. I'm good with a bandsaw and I'm going to cut some kits that will include the full wing parts as well as a set of foam cores.
When you say full wing parts, is that so we can make a built up wing or all the parts for the foam version?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
DonStegall

It will have all of the parts for the built-up wing.

It will have foam cores but not sheeting for the foam cores. They will be included just as a convenience option.

I am making some minor changes. The fin was in two pieces so it could be cut from smaller pieces of balsa. Mine will be 1 piece. The fuselage sides had little pieces at the bottom in front of the wing for the same reason. I'm eliminating those pieces.

It's taking me a little while to get all of the materials list together. So it may be a few weeks until I have the first run ready.

The fuselage sides are notched. I have to make a jig for doing that to make it accurate and easy.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
japan3d

ORIGINAL: DonStegall

It will have all of the parts for the built-up wing.

It will have foam cores but not sheeting for the foam cores. They will be included just as a convenience option.

I am making some minor changes. The fin was in two pieces so it could be cut from smaller pieces of balsa. Mine will be 1 piece. The fuselage sides had little pieces st the bottom in front of the wing for the same reason. I'm eliminating those pieces.

It's taking me a little while to get all of the materials list together. So it may be a few weeks until I have the first run ready.

The fuselage sides are notched. I have to make a jig for doing that to make it accurate and easy.
I would want one without the foam cores. Will you ship to a US military base? The Quickie 500 was my second plane back in the late 70's, built it in one day. Still have the OS .46DF and tuned pipe from my third one to put on one.