Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

GP Viper throttle rod shaking like mad

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

GP Viper throttle rod shaking like mad

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:17 PM
ezmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Viper throttle rod shaking like mad

Hi

Me again. Maiden was cancelled, cause throttle rod almost vibrated itself away from servo horn. The tube where throttlerod goes through is so wide it makes the rod possible to vibrate. Mine shakes 0.5" sideways where the rod is bent upwards to the servohorn level and it looks darn scary. How to disable that. HEEEELP!! Me wanna maiden, me wanna maiden.

E
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36425.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	574179  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Super Splatter

Default RE: GP Viper throttle rod shaking like mad

Hmmm, I must admit I never tried a rigid music wire for the throttle. I use flex cable.

You might want to stick some balsa across it and limit how much it can bounce up and down.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:11 PM
ezmo

Thanks man. This is my first glow pylon and first glow plane ever, so facing these "weird" glow plane things every once a while. That rod came with the plane, so I thought "it should work". Dammit, should have noticed this issue earlier, run today engine first time on fuselage. Need that flex cable before maiden, otherwise servo is shaken and stirred. Tomorrow no changes to fly eventhough there seems to be exellent weather to come.

E
Old 12-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Super Splatter

I'll bet if you sandwich the rod with some balsa going across the the fuse, you'll be fine.

With a V tail racer like that you might want to reduce the amount of down travel on the tail feathers. I will have only 30 % of the down travel as compared to up travel.

Makes it a little less jumpy in pitch

Good Luck
Old 12-10-2006, 05:07 AM
ezmo

Thanks. Well now its raining....again, so no maiden today anyways. So I go for flex straight away on tomorrow. Dislike temporary solutions with pylon planes. I have currently 3mm up and 2mm down with elevator. Luckily I used epozy to glue the monokote seams from top, This glow engine really dirts the hole fuse with exhaust flush.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:05 AM
bl10

Emzo:

Most every one I’m aware of uses some sort of flex cable for Q500 the throttle linkage. I think Dave N posted some pictures in another thread. The most common way I’ve seen it done is with Sullivan flex cable and sheath with threaded adaptor soldered on for engine clevis or ball socket. Most of us mount our servos way back either just in front of or behind the rear wing bulkhead which makes the throttle linkage very long. The flex cable inside its sheath permits gluing it to the fuse side getting it out of the way of the tank. I personally use Sullivan Golden Rod (yellow with red sheath) and just screw rod ends in for ball socket and servo end. I like it because I can take it out of the plane easily.

Be careful when changing the ratio of up to down elevator travel on a vee tail. In some radios’ it changes the amount of down when using rudder. The affect of this is to make the plane climb when rudder is applied. Most of us hold quite a bit of right rudder on take off to counteract left torque and if rudder is affected by reducing the down to up ratio the plane will tend to balloon on take off.

Also keep in mind when using rudder will cause a vee tail plane to roll a little. Dub Jett has a good blurb on how to trim a pylon racer on his site.

Good Luck.

Barry
Old 12-10-2006, 02:09 PM
ezmo

Thanks bl10. I checked the V-tail movements and even though I have 3mm up and 2mm down, rudder moves approx 5mm up and down, so I shouldnt have that issue. Tomorrow to pick up the Dubros cable. That seems to be the only available option here to get in hands http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...d=DUB165/101.0

Old 12-10-2006, 05:34 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ezmo, Are you setting up your plane to fly on a course and actually racing or are you just going to fly the viper for fun\sport? There is a big differance in how you will want to set it up. Your elevater travel when setting up to race will be greatly reduced as well as your aileron travel. Racers are set up to fly a smooth course with minimal throws. Your test flights should actually start with more throw than you plan to actually fly with to get it trimmed and have enough control to get out of trouble if necessary.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 AM
ezmo

Hi

I have F5D background so the effect that happens when flying pylon track is not new. My intention is to race next season so everything is focusing on that, minimal throws with precise control.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:52 AM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E,

Can you get rid of those 90-degree bends? Making the pushrod straight will cure most of your problems.

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 12-11-2006, 12:09 PM
ezmo

ORIGINAL: DHG

E,

Can you get rid of those 90-degree bends? Making the pushrod straight will cure most of your problems.

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Hi

I ordered Sullivan flex cable. Tomorrow I definetly get rid of the vibration.

E
Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM
ezmo

Yipee. Now the shivering and shaking is away. Thanks for your effort.

Just one issue to be resolved, dont they never end?. New thread is created for it.

E
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hej!
Konstigt att trottellinkaget vibrerar så mycket.
Vilken motor har du?

Hello!
Strange that the throttle linkage vibrates so much.
What brand of engine do you have?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71880.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	576502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27187.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	576503  
Old 12-13-2006, 06:23 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your 18 and 19 hours of day light in the summer must be nice for flying and racing, but you are under six right now with cold day time highs. I would not be worried about the throttle pushrod shaking...since I would be shaking myself.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 AM
ezmo

Super Custom 40. thats the Q500-Sport class engine that is used in Finland. But thats not issue anymore. Have now the Sullivan flex cable to do the work.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:10 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Yeah! Its dark at 3 o´clock this time of the year over here in Stockholm but no snow...it has been the warmest November and December that I know of and I'm 52 years old. Temperatures has been over +10 degrees celsius most days now in December with constant western winds. Scientists blame airpolution for this...might be so...we had one of the warmest summers last year in 150 years time.
Too much carbonoxide getting releast into the atmosphere...!? What will happen in the years to come nowbody knows...hope to be able to race some more pylon racers before everythi..........
Old 12-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Super Splatter

It's the same thing here in Minnesota, no Winter.

Better flying... I don't like the way models fly with skis on them..

Hey Jaka, do you own a Gibson?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 AM
ezmo

Finally after all kind of hassle and bad weather, maiden last weekend. Took only a month to do this

http://koti.welho.com/ejumppan/video/viper.wmv

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYmXRap4KQM

Still some tuning to do with rear wing alignment, had a lot of trim upwards. Engine didnt run max in video, cause needle kept opening itself and we identified that issue later on. Soon preparing to some track flying fast and low. Still need some practise with landing. I am more used to land kevlar fuselages on grass.

Great plane with no suprises at all, just wondering how slow it really could land

Thanks for all your help with everything. This is my first glow plane, so had a lot to learn.