Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Best Glow PLug for Q-500 (Thunder Tiger Engine)

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Best Glow PLug for Q-500 (Thunder Tiger Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Glow PLug for Q-500 (Thunder Tiger Engine)

Hi Guys,

I have a Thunger Tiger Pro .40.

I normally run the K&B plugs. But there impossible to find. Does anyone know where to get them? Are they still being made? If not what are some of the plugs that you guys are running? What's the Best Pug?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 AM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best Glow PLug for Q-500 (Thunder Tiger Engine)

What fuel and muffler/pipe are you using? If you're running 0-15% nitro and the stock muffler go with an OS 8 or Enya #3. If your running more nitro or an "ultra muffler" try an OS A5 or R5, or an Enya #4 or #5. In short, the harder you push the motor the colder the plug.

Bill Vail
www.RCScreenProtectors.com
Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Ed Smith

In short, the harder you push the motor the colder the plug.
I think you have that the wrong way round. "Hot" plugs advance ignition, "Cold" plugs retard ignition. Higher Nitro content in fuel retards ignition. Therefore the higher Nitro in the fuel requires a"Hot" plug to restore the desired ignition timing.

Ed S
Old 04-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I use the Enya #3 for combat, low nitro. I presume that by asking for the TT 40 you are doing the 424 which requires stock engine, muffler, baffle. I've run up to 15% with solid results on that plug.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:42 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I like the K&B's also, was always able to get them at the local hobby store. I like the HP's (High Performance) or 1L plugs.

If I couldn't find those, I found that the McCoy #9 plugs worked just as well. I had to go to the car section to get these.

Never made sense to burn the more expensive OS plugs, they weren't any better.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 AM
wjvail

I think you have that the wrong way round. "Hot" plugs advance ignition, "Cold" plugs retard ignition. Higher Nitro content in fuel retards ignition. Therefore the higher Nitro in the fuel requires a"Hot" plug to restore the desired ignition timing.
We will have to agree to disagree here. I see your point but my experience is not what you suggest nor does your logic go far enough to tell the full story. I've found that pushing an engine harder with more nitro and a pipe raises the overall stress and operating temperature of the engine to include the plug. This in turn requires a colder (and sturdier) plug to reduce timing and extend plug life to an acceptable level.

Plugs are something of a black art and what makes a hot or cold plug includes MANY interconnected factors. One of those is the the element itself. Hotter plugs often include a "lighter" element that often does not hold up well when stressed beyond "normal" sport flying. For example, I would not try running an OS A3 or F plug in a boat with 65% nitro or heli with 30%.

There are a lot of generalizations here but I will stick to my original statement. The harder you push the motor the colder the plug.

Bill Vail
Old 04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
wjvail

https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=81

If you really like K&B (and I do), order 'em from Randy.

Bill Vail
Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
daven

Those prices look high to me. I haven't bought a plug in a while, I use to buy out the 12pack cards of HP's when they came in. (not sure the locals appreciated this) and I remember them being in the 2.99 range, not O.S. like??
Old 04-17-2007, 12:33 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Insane prices on plugs. Not so long ago, a card of 1S or 1L K&B plugs was $6
Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Insane prices on plugs. Not so long ago, a card of 1S or 1L K&B plugs was $6
Not so long ago, glaciers covered Kansas.

I still consider $1.75 to $2.00 the right price for a standard long glow plug. It makes no sense to charge $4.75 each. The design is at least 50 years old, tooling hasn't increased that much, materials are readily available. Where's the expense?

Heck, even cell phones are cheaper now than they were 50 years ago!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:36 PM
wjvail

Plugs, like everything else, is what the market will bear. For about the 1st 10 years I modeled, K&B's and Fox plugs were .69c If cost is the only consideration, try some Fireballs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fireball-R-C-Glo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fireball-R-C-Glo...QQcmdZViewItem

Bill Vail
Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Ed Smith

I've found that pushing an engine harder with more nitro and a pipe raises the overall stress and operating temperature of the engine to include the plug. This in turn requires a colder (and sturdier) plug to reduce timing and extend plug life to an acceptable level.
So in the above you advocate the use of a "Cold" plug with a high nitro piped engine.

Colder plugs often include a "lighter" element that often does not hold up well when stressed beyond "normal" sport flying. For example, I would not try running an OS A3 or F plug in a boat with 65% nitro or heli with 30%.
So in this quote you would not us a "Cold" plug in a high nitro engine

A little ambiguous?.

I quote from a knowledgable source "THE HOT GLOW PLUG" the hot plug retains the heat longer from cycle to cycle than a cold plug; it helps to start ignition earlier on the compression operation. Although the secondary compression period is reduced, the benefit to slow burning fuels is great, because they need more time to reach their peak pressure-slightly beyond TDC"

High Nitro fuel is a relatively slow burning fuel.

Remember the original question concerned a Thunder Tiger 40 sport engine, Not High nitro, Pipes and different element thicknesses.

I am finished here.

Ed S
Old 04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
wjvail

Colder plugs often include a "lighter" element that often does not hold up well when stressed beyond "normal" sport flying. For example, I would not try running an OS A3 or F plug in a boat with 65% nitro or heli with 30%. [quote/]

A little ambigious?.
Sorry... You've caught me. That should have said "HOTTER (not colder) plugs often include a "lighter" element that often does not hold up well when stressed beyond "normal" sport flying. For example, I would not try running an OS A3 or F plug in a boat with 65% nitro or heli with 30%." You are correct, it didn't make much sense the way it was written. I have edited my post and made the correction. I'm sure you can forgive my carelessness. We all need an attention to detail lecture in our posting![:@] You've misspelled ambiguous and knowledgeable.

I quote from a knowledgable source
Who?

True; however, its addition in model two stroke fuels above about 15% is usually for performance reasons. Included with these performance goals usually comes higher cylinder pressures either though the use of a pipe, more nitro or higher compression. That implies a colder plug.

Remember the original question concerned a Thunder Tiger 40 sport engine, Not High nitro, Pipes and different element thicknesses.
Not forgotten... but... nitro content was not mentioned at all... nor was the exhaust system or head shims. I would remind YOU the question was in reference to Q-500 which would suggest the engine was not mounted in a Cub. I stick by my answer in post #2.

I am finished here.
Hmmm... I though we were just getting started

Bill Vail
Old 04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Yo! Team Green

Hey Eddie. I had very good success with the MC59 (McCoy) plug in my 424 planes.
>Thom
Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM
nanu

So what is best cold of hot plug running a thunder tiger w/15% on 424 class?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Druce

I use whatever is cheapest at the time.. but if I'm in the mood I will buy and do like is the McCoy #9. If they can handle a RC car motor then they can handle any Thunder Tiger 40. I think the MC #55 is pretty good. What sucks is having a new $8.00 plug not glow. How many times has that happened on the line.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Electriceddie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input so far. Yes, I am flying the Thunder Tiger Pro .40 in a Viper for 424 class Q-500.

Thanks

Keep all the great info coming.

Ed
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 PM
[email protected]

Enya #3 works well in the TT46 when using no nitro............trevor h[:@]
Old 04-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wjvail

Colder plugs often include a "lighter" element that often does not hold up well when stressed beyond "normal" sport flying. For example, I would not try running an OS A3 or F plug in a boat with 65% nitro or heli with 30%. [quote/]

A little ambigious?.
Sorry... You've caught me. That should have said "HOTTER (not colder) plugs often include a "lighter" element that often does not hold up well when stressed beyond "normal" sport flying. For example, I would not try running an OS A3 or F plug in a boat with 65% nitro or heli with 30%." You are correct, it didn't make much sense the way it was written. I have edited my post and made the correction. I'm sure you can forgive my carelessness. We all need an attention to detail lecture in our posting![:@] You've misspelled ambiguous and knowledgeable.

I quote from a knowledgable source
Who?

True; however, its addition in model two stroke fuels above about 15% is usually for performance reasons. Included with these performance goals usually comes higher cylinder pressures either though the use of a pipe, more nitro or higher compression. That implies a colder plug.

Not forgotten... but... nitro content was not mentioned at all... nor was the exhaust system or head shims. I would remind YOU the question was in reference to Q-500 which would suggest the engine was not mounted in a Cub. I stick by my answer in post #2.

I am finished here.
Hmmm... I though we were just getting started

Bill Vail
I want to thank both of you guys for your input. It is knowledgeable poeple like yourself that help others, myself included, to learn new things about going fast. I read these threads to learn and I really appreciate the good input in these threads.

Cheers[8D]
Old 04-18-2007, 03:46 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Sorry ED! the more Nitro the colder plug you have to use.
This is what every pylonracer knows.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:46 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

The nitro doesn't matter. Whenever Ed burns a plug, he reaches for a cold one.

Oops, wrong thread! This should go under "Wood props"!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 PM
wjvail

Sorry ED! the more Nitro the colder plug you have to use.
This is what every pylonracer knows.
Ed and I have exchange PMs. I think we have a truce

I want to thank both of you guys for your input. It is knowledgeable poeple like yourself that help others, myself included, to learn new things about going fast. I read these threads to learn and I really appreciate the good input in these threads.
No worries mate. It was a good question that got a great thread started. Apparently the subject needs discussion!

Bill Vail
www.RCScreenProtectors.com
Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

K&B 1S plugs for $2

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...lScrapBox.html
Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 AM
wjvail

K&B 1S plugs for $2
Nice find. It suggests plugs can be made for under $6.95! Notice they are shorts though. Does anything need short plugs any more?

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=108535
I buy OS #8 by the card for 3.99.

Bill
Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
If you want maximum rpm from your engine using 15% nitro you should try as cold plug you can.
Try a Rossi 6 or 7 or Nova Rossi 6or 7! Enya 3 or OS 8 plugs are rather hot for best rpm in ordinary sport .40 engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.