Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

DOMINATOR 500 ENGINE THRUST ANGLE

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

DOMINATOR 500 ENGINE THRUST ANGLE

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
YUKONFLYR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOMINATOR 500 ENGINE THRUST ANGLE

Hello all - Building up a Dominator 500, noticed that plans call for engine thrust angle to the right by a few degrees. When using a backplate mount what is the best shim material? is it necessary for a Q-500.

Will be using a Supertigre gs40 ring for test flights, then a Jett q-500 engine.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: DOMINATOR 500 ENGINE THRUST ANGLE

YUKON:

Useing washers behind the engine mount is a poor and temporary fix. Over very little time, the washer will compress itself into the firewall creating a loose motor mount and potential major problems from vibration. The washer is nothing but a guess in any event. The best solution I have found over the years is "engilne mount thrust plates" by "Ernst"Mgf., Inc. item # 104. They come in 1, 2 and 3% plates per package, and work quite well. I bought about 4 packs at a good Hobby Shop several years ago and still have one or two left. You cut them to fit the back of your motor mount plate, or you can cut out some strips and stick them under the engine lugs, very easy in any event, gives you presise adjustments in any direction. ENJOY
Old 04-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Alabama Racer

Default RE: DOMINATOR 500 ENGINE THRUST ANGLE

You really should not need any right thrust. Anything other than being set at 0 - 0 - 0 (engine, stab, wing) is
lost speed. Having a little right thrust might help on take-off but a little right rudder does the same job just
great. The end result of having thrust offset is a slower plane.
Brad